For all you L.A. Looks Gel Users, Which one(s) do you use and why?

• 1 Post By deloris22
  • 1 Post By curlicious13
  • 2 Post By Marci Pie

I started using their Wet Look gel version along time ago, when I was looking for a good gel to try. As Lord knows, I have gone through so many. I decided to buy it because it was cheap. After washing my hair, I got home, I put it in and I really liked it. At the time, my hair was cut really short, to ear length, but I really like the results it gave me. I like the shine and definition it gave my curls. It is a lightweight gel that doesn't leave your curls with a lot of buildup, plus it has never flaked on me ever. And, it works great at frizz control. It also has a light scent to it as well, that is not offensive at all.

Eventually, I ended up becoming a product junkie, and ending up trying new things. As of 2014, I decided to stop being a product junkie. And, one of the gels that I remembered that my hair had liked from way back was the L.A. Looks Wet Look Gel. The only place around me that carries it is CVS. And, when I went yesterday, I only found one bottle left on the shelf, so I took it.

I know that L.A. Looks offers other a variety of other gels too. I just wanted to know which one(s) you are loving or even possibly interested in trying?

True by Made Beautiful Hydrating Hair Butter
I have been using LA Looks Sport Gel for many years and have never found any that I like better. I've tried the other gels -Mega Hold, Spike, Curls, Wet Look, etc. I didn't like any of them as much as the Sport Gel. It is a hard hold gel, it doesn't have too much glycerine, it doesn't flake, it isn't drying.
--I'm located in Western PA.
--I found NC in late 2004, CG since 2-2005, started going grey in late 2005.
--My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
--My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
--My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...-progress.html
I've still never seen that one and would like to try it.
2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl

When I went to my local Walmart on Tuesday, they were out of stock of the Sport Gel version. I guess there are a lot of others that like it too! I plan to go and check tomorrow and see if they have more in stock.

I am also glad about you mentioning about it being flake free. I have had my share of using gels that flaked all over the my clothes, and I would end up being super embarrassed.

As, I am definitely interested in adding it into my summer regimen. As, the heat and humidity down here in Louisiana is getting worse by the second!

True by Made Beautiful Hydrating Hair Butter
I've still never seen that one and would like to try it.
Originally Posted by chupie

Here's a Link to the L.A. Looks website, where it offers the different gels they offer- LA Looks

Here's where you can find a current listing of retailers that carry L.A. Looks products - LA Looks

True by Made Beautiful Hydrating Hair Butter
Jeepy I tried LA looks sport gel because of a previous post of yours and I'm so greatful! I love this gel! Cheap and absolutely no frizz! Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using CurlTalk App
jeepcurlygurl likes this.
New to the CG Method.
Shampoo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
Conditioner: SM Restorative Conditioner
Styler: FSG, SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk, Olive Oil eco styler gel.
Multiple personality curls on my head!

Originally Posted by Reservechic
I've been noticing an LA Looks gel shortage lately as well. I'm sad because I'm just learning how to use them in my hair without drying it out!

Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals, GVPCB
Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein!

I love the la looks wet look gel. If they stopped selling that, I'd be up ****s creek without paddles.
CGSince2002 likes this.
Join Date: Apr 2014
Originally Posted by curlicious13
Same here.

I noticed 7 types at the website but my crummy W-M only had 2, the mega-mega and the spike (which I already have and need to mix with something to be able to use it), maybe they carry a 3rd one as I think I saw an empty space but it could've been for the brand next to it too...
I do feel a little curious about one or two of the others but not enough to have another bottle sitting in my bathroom when I'm not even using gel every time, so it's just as well, I rarely look at hair products when I go anywhere else so for now I'm safe.
Walgreens online carries the Wet Look and I think a few others. Shipping is free with $25--you just need to come up with that $25. $2 gel isn't going to get you too far, lol. Supposedly the local Walmart carries it, too, but I decided not to go there and just ordered online instead. I don't usually shop at Walmart and it's out of my way, so online saves me on gas.
3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
Join Date: Apr 2014
I still have about 1/2 a bottle of the WL, which will last me for the rest of the year if not longer considering I have others and don't use gel each time I co-wash or rinse my hair. But if I couldn't find it here I'd get it in a bigger city when I go about once every 2 months to stock up on mostly g/f food items I can't get here either.

LAL had one for curly hair (turquoise) that they apparently discontinued, it was hold level 8 but just perfect for my hair; since it's fine, the WL can give me unbreakable crunch near the scalp or rob me of body if I overdo it just a little. I found it like 4 years ago at a Big Lots, and if I'd known that was the only and last place to get it I would've gotten at least another bottle.

The WL worked sort of like it when I mixed it either with ORSL&T or FOTE, so I probably should go back to doing that.
I have tried many products. I like it because it's cheap and does the job for my hair. I always default because if I do find a product that works, it never beats the LAL price!

You can buy LA Looks almost anywhere however, the variety is limited in most stores. The best variety I have found was at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Here is the list were I have seen it:
Walmart
Bed, Bath & Beyond
Target
CVS
Rite Aid
Kroger
CGSince2002 and Reservechic like this.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo
Co-wash: Suave, Vo5, HE, Aussie Moist
Deep Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's)
Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil.
Methods: Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
I didn't know they had LAL at Bed Bath & Beyond. It's really out of my way, so I haven't been there in ages, but next time I'm near maybe I'll check it out.
3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
Hands down best styler for me and so cheap. On my hair, expensive stylers don't necessarily work any better and in fact they often work worse! Also, with the amount of hair that I have, even though it's only inverted bob length, I have to go cheap with my products since it takes a lot of them. Anyhow, I've been using the Sports version ever since they discontinued the turquoise Curl Look one which I used for years. They replaced that one with Nutra-Curl but that wasn't anywhere nearly as good. I had to ditch that bottle as it was such a fail on my hair and just go with the Sports version.
For the best price, I get mine at Bed Bath & Beyond here in SF. Not all their stores have a health and beauty department, but the one I go to does.
I have 4B/4C hair and have been natural for about two years now. I have been using Eco Styler Gel for my puffs and wash and go styles. But, after my hair would dry it looked dull and felt dry. So, I did not wear these styles often. I gave LA Looks Wet Look Gel a try and I am very pleased with the results. It defined my curls, made my hair soft and moisturized and gave my hair shine! My hair still had a "wet look" after the gel dried. This product is now a staple for styling my natural hair.

Note: To achieve my wash and go styles, on wet hair, I spray Luster's SCurl Curl Activator Moisturizer first and then apply the LA Looks Wet Look Gel. For my edges I use Design Essentials Honey and Shea Edge Tamer.
The only one I've used that was decent was the Nutra Curl Gel (green one). It provided good hold but my hair got frizzy on subsequent days. It was a nice gel but I won't be purchasing again.
CG since Dec. 2013
3b/c ~ fine ~ medium porosity ~ low density ~ dyed dark red
No-Poo: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Curl Nourish Shampoo
RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner
Styler: Tresemme Extra Firm Control Mousse
I use LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel. I love it! The first time I used it, it was rainy. I stood out in the rain (not by choice) and my style lasted all day! Absolutely no frizz!

~Jenae (Sent from CurlTalk App)
My Hair:
3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products: