Hair Regime Help

• 1 Post By SereneCurls

I know you guys dont like new topics but i am new to the CG method even tho I have been wearing my hair in a natural curly style since the 1980ís , i was using sulfates, silicones, etc. and when i start researching products to put together for a total cg regime, i get confused and a headache. I want to place an order from aveyou.

I have 3a curls with porous ends (growing off that dye) and rather thin hair. So far I have put together CJ Daily Fix cleanser, CIAB and want to try Curl Keeper too. But what about a RO or at least a LI? I cant figure those out plus dont know if there is anything else I need.

Can anyone help with advice? I know bottom line is trial and error but you guys seem to have so much experience with so many products. I have experience with Deva products and they cause buildup!
You mention that your hair is thin, are the individual strands fine or coarse? I find that can make a significant difference when it comes to rinse out conditioners. Do you know how your hair reacts to products with protein? Also, you've been wearing your hair curly, have you been using a gel before? I only mention it because curl keeper, while good at dealing with frizz, doesn't provide much definition or hold for a lot of people. I've never used ciab but it seems similar, more for frizz prevention and less for curl definition? If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.
BotticelliBrit likes this.
2c/3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, bsl curly, WL wet
Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
Co-wash: down under naturals, tresume naturals
RO: AOHR
LI: Giovanni Direct, Desert Essence curl cream
Stylers: kccc, HE smu, brhg
Oils: coconut, argan or evoo
SereneCurls is correct, both CIAB and CK are more for frizz control then curl definition.

The best way to choose ingredients/products is by hair properties. All you mention is your porous ends. What about the rest?? Thin hair refers to density (ingredients really don't matter with density, it's more for making sure you get the product distributed.) What is your texture?? Here's a link to help you with properties and ingredients Curly Hair Basics | Live Curly Live Free

Which Deva products built up on you?? Some of them have polyquats. I have real issues with 4, 7 and 10. Both CIAB and CK have 10.

Another important thing for many of us is rotating products. I wet, use a rinse out and style every day. Seldom use any one product more then once every five days, if that.

I would pop a gel in there. As SereneCurls said, CIAB & CK seem to be more frizz-fighting products that some people choose layer underneath or on top of a styler / gel. So I don't think they have much in the way of hold, if that's what you're looking for.

Leave-in wise, As I Am is pretty popular around these parts Also some people like to use KCKT as a leave-in. Giovanni Direct is also a popular choice (though, personally, I didn't think much of it). The LI I'm currently loving myself is the My DNA one in my signature.

Rinse-out wise, I love the SM conditioner in my signature. Lots of people love Yes to Carrots too, I believe. And the old TRESemme Naturals formula is pretty popular. Suave Naturals also seems to be a common choice (and I think a lot of people use it to co-wash too).

I stick to my SM though, as it's a HG for me, so I don't have much experience with other ROs. But I'm sure some of the other folks will have plenty of recs for you!
Allie

3A with some 3B thrown in. Medium porosity. High density. Low-medium thickness.

Pre-poo: Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Low-poo: Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine
Conditioner: Faith in Nature or
Shea Moisture Raw Restorative
D/C: Giovanni 2chic Avocado & Olive Oil Ultra Moist Deep Moisture Mask

Leave-in: My DNA
Styler: Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity or
Umberto Giannini Scrunching Jelly

UK curly. CG since October 2013.
Aiming for WL curls (eventually)
I have always had coarse hair and definitely the dyed ends are coarse but as the gray/sikver strands are coming in, they may be medium texture. IDK tho maybe just better condition.

Protein containing products are fine and i did a generic joico kpac and generic cond balm treatment a couple of weeks ago and loved the soft ends. Repeated that whole thing last weekend and got very dry ends so not going to repeat that whole treatment any time soon. And yes, i always use gels, mostly i have been using Deva light defining gel.

Good to know CIAB and Curl Keeper are somewhat similar, save me some dollars by just getting one or the other. Thanks!
The Deva gel has polyquat 7 in it. K-Pak has mineral oil (a CG no-no.)

My hair was acting really strange the other week. After my haircut, my stylist "forgot" and use a product with Cyclopentasiloxane. I immediately "washed" my hair when I got home, used a product with coco b, which is supposed to remove silicone. My hair was REALLY frizzy all week (I was out of town for a few days and didn't have my arsenal of hair products.) I decided to do a sulfate wash. Can't tell you what a difference it made. I'm mentioning this because the Deva products gave you build up.

You may want to clarify and start with a clean slate. Especially if you'll be trying new products. I would also avoid the polyquats, since that's probably what caused the build up with the Deva gel (unless, of course, you used it after the mineral oil.)

Thanks Kathymac. Actually I am happy with the Deva gel or I dont know any better, ha! Its the Deva No Poo and/or One Condition that feel producty after use but that was a while back last used. Currently i am using V05 Kiwi Lime to cowash so I dont feel a current buildup. Just wanting to try CJ prods and dont quite know what all would be best.
I've heard good things about the cj smoothing lotion, I've been wanting to try it but their products are hard to get for reasonable shipping in Canada. My medium coarse hair loves Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose as a rinse out conditioner, I have higher porosity ends from old sulfate abuse and it softens them right up.
2c/3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, bsl curly, WL wet
Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
Co-wash: down under naturals, tresume naturals
RO: AOHR
LI: Giovanni Direct, Desert Essence curl cream
Stylers: kccc, HE smu, brhg
Oils: coconut, argan or evoo
I use CJ rehab as a li and ro. It's by far the best CJ condish for my hair so far. I have very porous hair so it seems to soak it right in. The strawberry scent is yummy.
2c/3a
Low-high porosity, fine/medium, high density thick hair, highlighted
Modified CG since 12/2013
if you go to the curl junkie website there is a 'selection guide' that will help you make choices. that is a good place to start.
are you sure your hair is coarse? most of us have had stylists say it was, but turns out not so.
porosity is also very important.

the daily fix cleanser is a great conditioning wash. i use it most days and once or twice a week i use the gentle assurance shampoo as my low poo.

curl rehab is great, so are the other conditioners. read all about the products, etc. on the cj website before you order from aveyou.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I placed my order after reading details from the CJ website and I thank all for your help. I ordered Gentle Cleansing shampoo, Daily Fix, beauticurls leave in and CIAB. To arrive Tuesday!
great choices! let us know how they work out for you.
you may want to try curl rehab next, in addition to the beauticurls leave in. great to rotate them, both very different.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]