Devacurl Light Defining Gel Residue?

So I got the Devacurl trial kit. It comes with the no-poo, one conditioner, light defining gel, frizz free volumizing mousse, and the micro fiber towel. While the no-poo an one c (though I'm not wild about the smell) work great for me the light defining gel and the mousse leave this weird product residue in my hair. It pretty much feels like I haven't washed my hair in like weeks or something. It's not oily either it's just this dry product feeling.

I tried using different amounts and even tried using them over other curl enhancers but I get the same felling every time.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do?
--------------------------------------------
3a/3b, medium to fine texture, normal porosity, okay with small amounts of protein, medium length

Devacurl no-poo
Devacurl One conditioner RO
Suave naturals coconut LI
Current stylers Shea moisture style milk and LA Looks sports gel
Im just the opposite, i can use the gel and mousse but the no poo and one condition leave me feeling like I have a product residue. And the smell of the no poo reminds me of industrial bathroom cleaner smell (not that I clean industrial bathrooms).
Originally Posted by CurlyInParadise
Yeah that is true that is kinda what they smell like. It reminds me of that air freshener smell in public bathrooms. I think I read in another forum that it is because of the lemon grass. I wouldn't really have a problem with it if once it was washed out the smell would leave but it seems to linger in my hair even though I use Suave Coconut as my leave in. Ahh well once my One C is gone I'm just going to use my Suave as a RO/LI like I was before.
3a/3b, medium texture, normal porosity, can take small amounts of protein, medium length

Devacurl No-poo
Devacurl One Condition (RO)
Suave Naturals Coconut (LI)
Stylers Shea Moisture Styling Milk and LA Looks Sports Gel

Has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do?
--------------------------------------------

Devacurl no-poo
Devacurl One conditioner RO
Suave naturals coconut LI
Current stylers Shea moisture style milk and LA Looks sports gel
Originally Posted by Jcurls17
Are you using the gel and mousse together to style your curls? Or are you using each product separately (where you use the gel on one day and you use the mousse on another day?

I have never used two of the DevaCurl stylets in my hair together. I have only used the DevaCare Arc Angel as a styler in my hair. It provided my curls with a very firm hold. However, it didn't do all that well for me, when it came to defining my curls. Plus, it would flake on me every time it used it (no matter how much I played around with the amounts). It also felt like it left a cast on my hair after it dried, not a lot but enough for me to notice. Even though DevaCurl offers a variety of stylets to choose from, I have felt iffy about trying anymore.

I had purchased their full sized DevaCare kit, plus the Curly Girl Handbook. I learned that through trial and error the DevaCurl product line is not the right one for my hair. So, that is why, I moved on from it a long time ago. But, of course, there are other curlies that use the products and have no problems. All of our curls are so very different, which is why some curlies have much success with some lines or products than others.

Go by what your hair shows you. If your hair doesn't like a product, oh it will let you know. And, when it likes a product, it will of course let you know that too. However, if a product just doesn't work for your hair, then simply opt to stop using that product and go with something else.

If the Shea Moisture Style Milk and L.A. Looks Sports Gel gives you better styling results, then I would recommend moving forward with those two products instead.
3B natural hair

Currently Using All Natural Products:

Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Shampoo
Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Conditioner ( I do use it with steam to DC with)
100% Pure Marula Oil (from Sally's Marula Collection)
Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker
Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twist Butter
Camille Rose Naturals Curlaide Moisture Butter

Last edited by Reservechic; 06-25-2014 at 03:42 PM.
I got the Light Defining Gel to try in the summer. The first time I used it I loved it, and it's the only product of the line that I think even smells good. I've tried it since and am not fond of it. It leaves my hair frizzy and kind of product-y. All of the Deva stylers I have used, minus the B'Leave In (don't know if that's a styler per se) have left me extremely product-y.
2c-3a - coarse - normal-high porosity - high density - growing out to donate

NP/LP: KMF Whenever Conditioner/ YTCucs
RO/LI: Sevi Pumpkin Seed DC / CJ Argan & Olive Oil, KCKT, YTBbs
DT: Coconut Oil + scalp massage
OIL/STYLER: SM Elixir / KCCC
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
FWIW, I've had good luck cocktailing Deva's gels with B'Leave In for styling.
Peace,
Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
CGing since July 2008
I will have to get back to you on this. I bought a Deva trial kit with No Poo, One, Light Gel & Set it Free moisture lock spray yesterday and I picked up Arc AnGEL the day before. I love AA. I read several reviews from people saying it, and other stylers, left a product feeling in their hair. I did not have this problem. I put it in soaking wet and scrunched it with a t-shirt. I hardly had much of a cast with it and my hair was incredibly soft the next morning.

I used the NP, One, LG and Set it Free yesterday (because I could not wait to try and because my pineapple failed the night before. Did not think I could refresh successfully the next morning). I used One as a RO and LI but I do not think it was a strong enough LI for my hair. I also think I used a little too much Set it Free or maybe the gel... My hair did feel sticky and dry at the ends this morning, but I also had a very bad night where I tossed, turned and sweated. I was a tangled mess. I need a re do on those. *I can say the curl factor was great with all and can't comment on frizz. Humidity is in the 80-90% range where I live , lots of rain and I am frizzing regardless.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Last edited by Fifi.G; 06-25-2014 at 07:38 PM.
I'm no expert but does it have polyquats? I feel those tend to not work so well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
Sometimes I get carried away and manipulate him too much. He tells me he's fine on his own but I never listen. I wash him less now and all in all we're happy.
Beast's Favorite Things:
Shea Moisture
Kinky Curly
Curl Junkie
Natural Stuff
BC #2: 10/2/13
2c/3a/3b w/ loose botticellis, whirls and curls,
Coarse, High Porosity;CG since 2007
Set It Free will do that. It contains a wax.
Peace,
Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
CGing since July 2008
Set It Free will do that. It contains a wax.
Originally Posted by Morgan_Adcock
The Set it Free does contain bees wax, which can be a good anti humectant for some, but it also has glycerin. Most of the DC products have a pretty good amount of glycerin and depending on when you live, the dew points, and the way your hair reacts... It can make your hair feel sticky.

I have not used the LDG again so I can not comment on that but I have played around with Arc AnGEL and had hit and miss results. It's no surprise. The dew points where I live are in the 70's first thing in the morning, we have been hammered with rain for weeks, and fog/mist rolls in upwards of 3 times a day. I can not use the Set it Free right now. Nope!! Having good luck with the no poo (avoiding ends) and one condition though.

I am slowly going to experiment with different anti humectants under the gel (if I can find them. not the best time to misplace my products) and try light or no leave ins to see how it goes. My hair does not always hate glycerin in the summer but it does not always like it either. Depending on results I may shelve the gels and SIF for a little while.