Mane 'n tail

Ive been trying to grow my hair out for years and I'm getting so frustrated! My friend uses mane and tail (original shampoo and conditioner) and says it makes her hair grow faster. Have any of y'all used it? If so, what do you think about it? It's definitely intriguing and I'm trying to decide if I should get it or not. Thanks!
I know many of their formulas contain Silicones, though the original might not. I'm not sure if that would matter to you. Also, they're absolutely full of protein, so your hair's protein likes would be a factor. I don't think a shampoo or conditioner can make your hair grow faster, but product choices can help prevent damage, so one could notice increased length if the ends stop splitting and breaking off.
2c/3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, bsl curly, WL wet
Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
Co-wash: down under naturals, tresume naturals
RO: AOHR
LI: Giovanni Direct, Desert Essence curl cream
Stylers: kccc, HE smu, brhg
Oils: coconut, argan or evoo
From what I've experienced before my
Hair loves protein. I agree on the preventing damage thing. I'm pretty sure that's why people see more growth. My patience is just running thin with my hair 😒
Originally Posted by AnsleyBirch13
Maybe if your friend is close by she could give you a sample so you could try it out without committing?
2c/3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, bsl curly, WL wet
Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
Co-wash: down under naturals, tresume naturals
RO: AOHR
LI: Giovanni Direct, Desert Essence curl cream
Stylers: kccc, HE smu, brhg
Oils: coconut, argan or evoo
Almost 20 years ago, after a very fine-haired hair friend of mine just RAVED about how this was everything one always wanted in a conditioner, I fell for it and bought the big bottle at Walgreen's. A complete fail for me, even with trying it several times. It made my hair dry, dull and coated in a waxy way. Never again! But I should have known - my hair is very different from what my friend's was.
Originally Posted by AnsleyBirch13
Originally Posted by SereneCurls
That's actually a good idea haha. Yeah, she's one of my best friends so that could definitely happen. Also, it's pretty cheap so it's not like I'm dropping $30 on it.
Originally Posted by caramix3a
I read and listened to a lot of reviews and almost everyone said they work best together (shampoo and conditioner). So if you ever wanted to try it again you could try them together.
It's so easy to get caught up in all these products that promise to promote hair growth and it's easy to forget simply human biology.

Hair is dead. We apply the majority of product to it because it can easily go south if not taken care of. The scalp is alive; the follicles are alive. I honestly believe your best bet to stimulating hair growth is a scalp massage externally and healthy eating internally. Eat clean foods rich in protein, folic acid, and all the other vitamins and minerals. Ever heard that old saying "You can't spot reduce fat?" It's the same for hair. You can't have healthy hair without a healthy scalp and you can't have a healthy scalp if you eat junk.

Also keep in mind that hair growth is all in the genes. Most people get half an inch, some were lucky to get more, others have the misfortune to get less. Unfortunately, you really can't change that. Your very best bet is scalp massages and healthy eating.
~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
It definitely won't make your hair grow faster, and it's an SLS shampoo, so not very gentle on your hair either. IMO you'd be better off using an SLS-free shampoo and doing protein treatments if you need them. My hair loves protein, but when I tried Mane N Tail years ago it totally dried out my hair (and I was using SLS back then, so it was worse than my regular SLS shampoo). The best thing for growing hair, other than treating is gently, is patience.
3a/b, F, normal porosity

Wash with either Suave Tropical Coconut, As I Am, or CJ Daily Fix
Condition with STC or Yes to Blueberries and detangle with Denman, rinse very lightly (baptismal rinse)
Add LAL gel, either Sport or Wet Look, scrunch with flour sack towel, and plop
Diffuse 5 minutes, then air dry
I know that the Mane and Tail line has been around for a lot of years. Some people may have luck with using these priducts in theif hair, but unfortunately i am not one of them. I bought both the shampoo and conditioner (the original version), and i got terrible results from both products. The shampoo stripped my hair and left it all tangled up. The conditioner had no slip to it, it actually made my hair feel even drier. It was like i had used a hardcore protein treatment in my hair. My hair was left very dry, tangled, and hard to even style thereafter.

I have never used Mane and Tail products ever again. Of course individuals here are still welcome to try it, if they would like. The products just simply didn't agree with my hair is all.
3B natural hair

Current Regimen: Daily Bunning

Products currently using:
Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Shampoo
Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Shampoo
Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Conditioner ( I do use it with steam)
Protein Conditioner- Tresemme Keratin Smooth Conditioner (I do use it with steam.)
Shea Moisture Transtioning Milk
Pre-Poo Treatment- I switch between Regular and Extra Dark JBCO ( The lines I use from are - Jamaican Mango & Lime, Tropic Isle Living, and Sunny Isle)