Overwhelmed by styling products!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By chupie
  • 1 Post By chupie

I don't have many styling products that work well. There are a couple leave-in conditioners and gels I want to try, but other than that I'm totally clueless. There are so many products out there, I just don't know where to start! Please help!
~ Curly teen - - natural since 05/02/14 ♥ ~
3A, low porosity, medium thickness

Shampoo: SheaMoisture shampoos
Conditioner: SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner
Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today



I don't have many styling products that work well. There are a couple leave-in conditioners and gels I want to try, but other than that I'm totally clueless. There are so many products out there, I just don't know where to start! Please help!
Originally Posted by curlysophie
What do you have? What is your hair type? Do you know your properties? How long or short is it?
curlypearl and BotticelliBrit like this.
I don't have many styling products that work well. There are a couple leave-in conditioners and gels I want to try, but other than that I'm totally clueless. There are so many products out there, I just don't know where to start! Please help!
Originally Posted by curlysophie
What do you have? What is your hair type? Do you know your properties? How long or short is it?
Originally Posted by chupie
Thanks for responding! Some products I have are Be Curly leave-in, Motion Lotion, and SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner (also can be a leave-in). My hair is 3A, medium thickness/texture, and low porosity (I think!). It's an inch or so below my shoulders when dry.
~ Curly teen - - natural since 05/02/14 ♥ ~
3A, low porosity, medium thickness

Shampoo: SheaMoisture shampoos
Conditioner: SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner
Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today



I don't have many styling products that work well. There are a couple leave-in conditioners and gels I want to try, but other than that I'm totally clueless. There are so many products out there, I just don't know where to start! Please help!
Originally Posted by curlysophie
What do you have? What is your hair type? Do you know your properties? How long or short is it?
Originally Posted by chupie
Thanks for responding! Some products I have are Be Curly leave-in, Motion Lotion, and SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner (also can be a leave-in). My hair is 3A, medium thickness/texture, and low porosity (I think!). It's an inch or so below my shoulders when dry.
Originally Posted by curlysophie
I'd sure think you need a gel. You don't have to start fancy. Try an LA Looks gel.(ETA: Dollar Store best bet to find. Also sometimes Walmart, Walgreens, etc) Most people like the Sports Extreme. I like the Nutra Curl (only a hold 8 and I use quite a bit but man it works), or I know of some liking the 8 hold Mega Mega. Be careful as sometimes shea butter products can build up. If your hair suddenly acts just bizarre try a clarifying wash to reboot. Here is the video that made me realize I could use a lot more of the LA looks gel than I was. I don't know, hers are more 3b but maybe it will give you ideas of how to work with gel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKrysLqgn8Y

(I have videos if you want to check them out but I have way less curl, though I still use curly methods and products. Might still give you some ideas on products etc. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ )

When you use a product remember to test it a while using various amounts and applying to wet or damp hair. Sometimes that alone gives you a much different result. Generally, it seems like wet but not sopping or dripping is a good way to distribute leave in and gel as it squelches up the shaft. Also try raking in vs. smoothing in. Just scrunching in will put most product just on your ends, so you have to experiment with that. Also squeezing it in down the length of the clumps, THEN scrunching can really pump up curl.

Hope some of this helps.
Reservechic likes this.

What do you have? What is your hair type? Do you know your properties? How long or short is it?
Originally Posted by chupie
Thanks for responding! Some products I have are Be Curly leave-in, Motion Lotion, and SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner (also can be a leave-in). My hair is 3A, medium thickness/texture, and low porosity (I think!). It's an inch or so below my shoulders when dry.
Originally Posted by curlysophie
I'd sure think you need a gel. You don't have to start fancy. Try an LA Looks gel.(ETA: Dollar Store best bet to find. Also sometimes Walmart, Walgreens, etc) Most people like the Sports Extreme. I like the Nutra Curl (only a hold 8 and I use quite a bit but man it works), or I know of some liking the 8 hold Mega Mega. Be careful as sometimes shea butter products can build up. If your hair suddenly acts just bizarre try a clarifying wash to reboot. Here is the video that made me realize I could use a lot more of the LA looks gel than I was. I don't know, hers are more 3b but maybe it will give you ideas of how to work with gel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKrysLqgn8Y

(I have videos if you want to check them out but I have way less curl, though I still use curly methods and products. Might still give you some ideas on products etc. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ )

When you use a product remember to test it a while using various amounts and applying to wet or damp hair. Sometimes that alone gives you a much different result. Generally, it seems like wet but not sopping or dripping is a good way to distribute leave in and gel as it squelches up the shaft. Also try raking in vs. smoothing in. Just scrunching in will put most product just on your ends, so you have to experiment with that. Also squeezing it in down the length of the clumps, THEN scrunching can really pump up curl.

Hope some of this helps.
Originally Posted by chupie

Thank you so much for the advice! I will try some gel.
~ Curly teen - - natural since 05/02/14 ♥ ~
3A, low porosity, medium thickness

Shampoo: SheaMoisture shampoos
Conditioner: SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner
Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today



Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com