Long Aid Curl Activator on White Girls?

• 2 Post By Kilajo
  • 1 Post By adthomas
  • 1 Post By chupie
  • 1 Post By Msyoda
  • 1 Post By anglwngss

I've been reading about Long Aid Curl Activator on here & am very intrigued. I have type 2c/3a thick, coarse, porous hair that wants to be big, poufy & frizzy. I'm looking for a product that will tame the frizz & pouf and define my curls. My hair is extremely wavy with curls mixed in. I just switched to DevaCare No Poo & One Condition from a non-sulfate shampoo (Living Proof).

I happen to be white, and am wondering if others have heard of white girls using this product? The reason I ask is b/c years ago I asked a stylist about whether products marketed for African American hair could be beneficial for my hair since I had some of the same concerns. She said that African American hair was "genetically different" from Caucasian hair, so the products wouldn't work. Huh? Is that true? I would think a particular hair type wouldn't necessarily be attributed to a particular race b/c there are always exceptions in nature.

So does anyone think it's worth this white girl giving Long Aid a try? And is there a "curl activator" and a "curl activator gel" and if so, what's the difference? I'd really appreciate your input!
DevaCurl B'Leave-in, Ultra Defining Gel, Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam
Race is irrelevant. Do a search of this site (or google) and you will see.
Geek_Chic and WaveExplosion like this.
I have some white guy friends who used it and their curls look amazing and shiny. Long Aid has been around for at least 40 years. I'm sure if it caused white people's hair to fall out I would have heard about it by now so no fear.

I don't hate Long Aid activator gel but Smooth and Shine works better for me. Worlds Of Curls is a disaster because it makes my hair sticky because of the PVP. These are all gels but some curl activators are liquid like S-Curl, Carefree Curl. Some people swear by them but my hair hates all of them I have ever tried. A lot of them have mineral oil.
WaveExplosion likes this.

Last edited by adthomas; 07-19-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Thanks for the advice & suggestions kilajo & adthomas!
DevaCurl B'Leave-in, Ultra Defining Gel, Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam
So I tried the Long Aid Curl Activator & the LA Looks Sports Gel & my hair looks fabulous! I have shiny, frizz-free curls with more definition & my hair feels soft. I used it yesterday & woke up this a.m. & just shook it out & it looks great. So happy I found this forum. You guys are great!

The Long Aid product was on sale for $6.50 for a 32 oz. tub! (in the Midwest). Unfortunately though, I didn't realize it's not safe for color treated hair (I use permanent color that's auburn), so I'm going to try to AG Re:Coil instead next time. The LA Looks gel is safe for color treated hair, & a 20 oz. bottle was only $3.39. Great buy. Not a big fan of the smell though.

Thanks everyone.
DevaCurl B'Leave-in, Ultra Defining Gel, Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam
Here are a couple of pics after using the Long Aid & LA Looks Sports gel. I just recently started the CG method. I used to flat iron in the Winter & pull my hair back in the Summer or wear it wavy. The right products definitely make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Long Aid Curl Activator on White Girls?-hair-back.jpg   Long Aid Curl Activator on White Girls?-hair-side.jpg
DevaCurl B'Leave-in, Ultra Defining Gel, Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam
Good lord. I only have wavy hair and if it weren't for the natural brands I wouldn't have nearly as nice hair. What a bunch of hooee that stylist spouted.
WaveExplosion likes this.
You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
Wave explosion, your waves look very natural and touchable.
type 1-2c fine to medium, dry, thin hair
I am so glad I saw this question posted. I've wondered the same thing, but was a little too embarrassed to ask.

Also, good to know that all the natural products should work on all hair and not just some hair.
WaveExplosion likes this.
Thank you Msyoda! I'm still working on healing some damage from old hair methods, but CG is def helping.