Budget-friendly protein free deep conditioners?

• 2 Post By geekrockgirl85
  • 1 Post By NvmbrCurlss
  • 1 Post By ashlyndmarie

Does anyone know of any affordable (aka cheap) and moisturizing deep conditioners that don't contain any protein? Preferably something that can be bought in stores. I have low porosity type 4 hair and follow the CG method. My hair is protein sensitive, which is why I am in need of a protein free conditioner. I feel as though they are hard to find. It seems like whenever I'm scanning the ingredients list on a prospective deep condish there is always a protein to be found, to my disappointment. I should also mention that I already own & love the Curl Junkie curl rehab (which I consider to be pricey btw) and I've also used the Shea Moisture raw shea deep treatment masque (which I found to be a little drying).

Thank you for any suggestions.
I don't believe it has protein in it (not 100% sure) but I LOVE Salon Selectives 3 minute hair therapy intense conditioning treatment. I found it at Dollar Tree of all places. I have type 2c/3a hair & whenever my hair is getting course or really hard to detangle I always use it at the beginning of my shower & rinse it out at the end. It has eally good slip to it & it leaves your hair unbelievably shiny. It's also gotten raving reviews from hair stylists.
I've had a hard time finding a good DT as well. I didn't have luck with the SM Restorative but do like some of their other masque "flavors".. but still a bit pricey unless you find them on a sale.

Have you tried Generic Value Products Conditioning Balm from Sally's? It isn't DT but it is $6 for a 16oz. bottle, protein free, and richer than most conditioners I have used.. might make you need to DT less often?

(Ingredient list for you: Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Myristyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Decyl Oleate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Hexyl Cinnamal, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Golden Seal) Extract, Fucus Vesiculosus (Bladderwack) Extract, Methyl-2-Octynoate)
twirlygranny and KatCurl like this.
2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
The Body Shop Banana Conditioner isn't exactly dirt cheap but it's still pretty cheap compared to other curly hair brands (I saw it's on sale on US TBS website). It's really thick and very moisturizing IMO. And no protein.
2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
(by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
Honey/olive oil added to your daily rinse out?
KatCurl likes this.
3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
NoP: As I Am CC
RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
Gvp conditioning balm from Sally's
Originally Posted by ashlyndmarie
Love this stuff =D
It is indeed protein free & I use it whenever I feel I need more conditioning or after a protein treatment.
fine, medium-low density
protein loving, porous, elasticity ?

Co-wash: Tresemme Perfectly Undone
LI/RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
Stylers: KCCC, AG recoil, CurlKeeper, As I am curling pudding
Protein treatments: Aphogee's Keratin 2 minute reconstructor, and Colorful neutral protein filler

Loves: aloe, glycerin & polyquats even in neg dews

Last edited by hookilau; 03-19-2015 at 10:20 AM. Reason: clicked submit too quickly
I like
ORS banana treatment fom sallys 2.49
apoghee 2 step $4
palmers coconut $2
I use the GVP conditioning balm as a deep treatment and Giovanni's Nutrafix. The Nutrafix says it infuses hair with proteins, but I've scanned the ingredient list and don't see any of the hydrolyzed variety that usually give me issues. It makes my hair feel incredibly soft.
4a / 3c fine texture, low and normal porosity
washing/cowashing, conditioning: devacurl decadence one condition, hair rules quench, as i am coconut cowash, curl junkie daily fix, curl rehab
leave in: curl junkie smoothing lotion, hawaiian silky 14 in 1, hair rules quench, as i am, camille rose fresh curl
styling: hair rules curly whip, camille rose curl maker
sealants: oil rinse with Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Soultanicals Knot Dressing, bekura palm tapioca or jane carter nourish & shine