Curly Magic VS Hello Curly; Other Dupes?

• 3 Post By ggard85

I got all excited when I read the new article posted December 20th on Hello Curly's Curl Simulator. I'm not a follower of the indie product scene so I'm unfamiliar with the product & it's predecessor/competitor Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic. What I've garnered from the article & other websites is this:

1. The original formulation of Curly Magic is awesome & a must try.
2. Due to legal proceedings, Curly Magic has changed it's formula & is no longer awesome.
3. Hello Curly is now the label for the original formulation of Curly Magic, which is awesome & a must try.

But when I went to purchase a bottle of Hello Curly, the vendor's website no longer exists! I tried the alternate web vendors listed in the article & they are all 'sold out' or 'back-ordered'. Purchasing a back-ordered items always make me nervous, so I did more research & I found another article on a different website, dating back from September 2014, stating that the Hello Curly brand is discontinuing & the Curly Magic is reverting back to the original formulation because everyone hated their 'new' formulation.

So, ok, I buy Curly Magic right? But have they reverted back to their original formulation yet? Or would I be buying the 'new' formulation that everyone hated? Can anyone share their experience with these products?

TL;DR, Hello Curly's Curl Simulator seems to be discontinued & Curly Magic seems to be reverting to it's original formulation. Does anyone have experience with a recently purchased bottle of Curly Magic & can share their experience with it? Are there any dupes out there worth checking out?

I plan on contacting the manufacturer too, but I believe the advice & experiences of real users is more valuable.
You're talking about two different companies. Curly Magic was a product of Uncle Funky's Daughter. Due to a divorce the founder was no longer associated with the company. The new owners changed the Curly Magic formulation.

The former owner started a new company called Hello Curly and created a product with the original Curly Magic ingredients called Hello Curly Curl Stimulator. On Facebook the owner said that her heart wasn't in the company and that starting the new company was more of a "haha! Look at me now!" sort of thing. She decided to close the business down.

If you can find the curl stimulator it will be the original ingredients. Curly Magic products from Uncle Funky's Daughter have the new--less popular--ingredients.

Originally Posted by Glamourstruckk
Actually, Hello Curly is still in business. About two days after Tonya made that announcement she made another one changing her mind. She is currently sold out of product but stated that she'll be back in stock after Christmas. Uncle Funky's Daughter also changed their new formula (with glycerin) back to the old formula (without glycerin) soon after Hello Curly was released. So basically they both currently have the same formula.
Edit: Never mind, I just checked out their website and sure enough, there is no glycerin listed in the ingredient list! It's in stock too!

ggard85, where did you read that they are both now the same glycerin-free formulations?

www.unclefunkysdaughter.com/curly-magic

Leave-in: CJ Repair me
Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

Last edited by sheilacurl; 12-22-2014 at 09:57 PM.

www.unclefunkysdaughter.com/curly-magic
Originally Posted by sheilacurl
Hey Sheila!

UFD switched back to the original formula back in September due to popular demand. Since Hello Curly has the same ingredients as the original UFD that made them both the same exact formula as of September. A month later that's when Hello Curly's owner said she was quitting the business but then changed her mind a few days later. When she initially announced the closing, everyone bought out all the product that same day and she has been sold out ever since even after she announced that she'd stay open. I've been watching her FB and people have been asking when she will be restocked and she stated after Christmas. TODAY, she just made an announcement that she will be handmaking all her products and will have a new site called sweetsoulmagic. I would quote her statement but not sure if I'm allowed to.
sheilacurl, sixelamy and Daheep like this.
Thank you so much! I don't mind waiting until Christmas to try it, if it means supporting a new business.
Originally Posted by Daheep
No problem! She said the launch will be on 12/31/14. The site isn't live yet but keep an eye out

Sent from my SM-G900P using CurlTalk App
I can't even keep up with these two now. It feels like an "e-battle" with these mind changes and formula changes. lmao.
Originally Posted by Glamourstruckk

You're not the first to say that lol