Difference between Shea Moisture styling products

• 1 Post By Reservechic
  • 2 Post By lionfeather
  • 1 Post By NYCgirl

Hello!
I need to buy a new styling cream/gel/anything and I'd like to try Shea Moisture.
I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between:
SM Enhancing Smoothie
and Frizz-free Curl Mousse.

I'm using DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel but it's not working because it doesn't define anything, doesn't hold and gives me frizz (Glycerin maybe?)
Which one do you think would be good for me?
Also, where does the Conditioning Cleanser come in in all of this?
I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between:
SM Enhancing Smoothie
and Frizz-free Curl Mousse.

Which one do you think would be good for me?
Also, where does the Conditioning Cleanser come in in all of this?
Originally Posted by Blimunda
Hello!

The DevaCurl products don't work for my curls at all. I have had bad luck with every DevaCurl product that I have ever tried. However, there are curlies here that have had success with products from the line, nonetheless.

When it comes to the SM products mentioned, here's a complete breakdown of such:

SM Hold & Shine Moisture Mist - It is generally recommended for use on thick, curly hair to hydrate and tame frizz, while providing a soft hold. Directions: You spray it on damp hair from root to ends. Use a wide toothed comb to distribute evenly. Style as desired. Use on dry hair to refresh style.

SM Curl & Style Milk - It is generally recommended for use on thick, curly hair to detangle, condition, and control curls while restoring body and shine.
Directions: Apply as a non-rinse moisturizer and styling cream to damp, towel dried hair as needed.

SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie- Defines curls, reduces frizz, and smoothes hair- gives a soft silky feel. On the front if the jar, it does say that it is recommended for thick, curly hair. Directions: Section hair and apply sparingly to damp or dry hair. Do not rinse out. Style hair as desired. For best results use as a styling cream for twistouts, braids, and wash-n-go styles.

SM Frizz Free Curl Mousse - Easily enhances natural curl memory and wave pattern. No sticky, crunchy, or flaky residue - just high impact volume with a soft finish. Fights frizz all day while promoting shine. Divide damp hair into sections. Directions: Apply 2-3 pumps to each section and comb through. Style as desired.

On the front of all of these products listed, they all say for THICK, CURLY HAIR. Which didn't really offer slot. Because you can have Type 2, 3, or even 4 hair and it can be relatively thick or dense and your hair may react well to some of the products listed from the Coconut & Hibiscus line or your hair can possibly not react well to any of them. Which is why, I really cannot say what product will work best for your hair, out of the products mentioned.

My Type 3b curls are not thick at all, however, I have had a lot of success with many of the SM products. The SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie happens to be one of my "holy grail" hair products along with a host of other SM products. When it comes to using a product like SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, it is very concentrated and a little bit does go along way. Through trial and error, I have come to find out exactly how much is needed for my hair. Because if you use too much, you can surely get buildup with this product. I have tried SM Curl & Style Milk, but I don't find it to be as moisturizing to my hair as the smoothie is, but it is still a good profuct nonetheless. I recently got the Frizz Free Curl Mousse, but I have not tried it as of yet. And, I have never tried the Hold & Shine Mist before. Overall, I would recommend trying out only one of the stylers (either the Mousse, Curl & Style Milk, or Curl Enhancing Smoothie) at a time, and simply see how that works for your curls. Be sure to keep your receipt, because if a product doesn't work, you can always try bringing it back for a refund or an exchange from the store where you bought it from, okay.

I am not sure which conditioner cleanser you are referring to, as DevaCurl offers a No Poo Cleanser within their line, and SM offers a CoWash Conditioning Cleanser. If you are referring to SM Conditioning Cleanser, it is sulfate free and removes impurities without stripping hair if its natural oils. You would simply massage in for 3-5 minutes working from root to ends. Rinse thoroughly with warm water. Repeat as needed. This product is certainly worth trying if you'd like. I've never tried it, as I can get As I Am's Coconut CoWash for cheaper, plus it comes with way more product than the SM Conditioning Cleanser actually does too. And, it actually happens to be the best CoWash cleansing conditioner that I have ever tried to date.

Please know that none of the SM products that I have tried, provide lots of hold to them at all. They have provided either a soft or light/medium hold at best. However, due to my not having tried the Frizz Free Mousse as of yet, I cannot say exactly how much of a hold to ones curls it really gives.

I tried to be as thorough as I could with the information provided. As, Shea Moisture offers such a wide array of products, till if something doesn't agree with your hair, there's always something else that you can seek to try instead, that may work much better.
curlypearl likes this.
3B, low density, high porosity hair

Clobetasol Shampoo or Darcy's Botanical's Daily Conditioning Cleansing Cream

Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Conditioner

Kenalog Topical Spray- Spray onto scalp twice a day or Clocortolone Pivalate Cream 0.1% used to apply to my scalp twice a day

Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean Moisturizing Hair Whip

OR

Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean Curl Smoothing Cream

***Diagnosed in June 2015 with chronic scalp eczema

Last edited by Reservechic; 06-02-2015 at 02:37 PM.
I have tried the following two products, and here are my notes:

SM Style Milk
Like this one a lot. Lovely fruity, tropical fragrance. I have scrunched it over a leave-in conditioner with very nice results. I also dilute it in a spray bottle and use liberally as a refresher spray.

SM Moisture Mist
This is sort of like a really, really light hold hairspray with conditioning properties. Personally I would not buy it again because I need more moisture in my curls, not more hold. It was a bit sticky/crunchy at least in the amounts I use to coat my very thick hair! As a refresher, I have had better luck with the diluted Style Milk.

Hope this helps!
curlypearl and NYCgirl like this.
I have the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Smells wonderful, love the ingredients, but after a day, the build up on my (fine, 3A-3B-3C) hair is unbearable (even with a half a pea sized amount diluted with water!). I had to stop using it and my husband now uses it occasionally mixed with water for a light hold on his short, straight hair.

Last edited by MochaQuartz; 04-01-2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: sp
Is the smoothie equivalent to a styling cream? Just wondering about the hold
3A 3B mix

RO-GVPCB, CJ curl assurance conditioner
DT- CJ curl rehab
LI- As I Am leave in,

Style- Sauve Everlasting Sunshine
Yes, I consider/use the Smoothie as a styler but some people use it as a leave-in and apply other stylers over it. As I styler, I've only used it for braidout and twistout styles and I pretty much used it as my only styler (no gel or finisher on top) as it provided great hold and definition. Its a medium hold, definitely not soft and definitely not super hard & crunchy.....unless you pile on too much. A little goes a long way with this product.
ninadef likes this.
  • Oils: EVOO,Camelia Seed,Argan,JBCO,Jojoba,Coconut
  • Cleanse: AIA Coconut Cowash, T&B Whipped Perfect Moisture Shampoo, T&B Rhassoul Whip Poo
  • Pre-poo: EVOO, Conditioner, T&B The Antidote
  • LI: CRN CW Leave-in, CRN CW Style-setter, CRN Curl Love Moisture Milk, CJ Argan & Olive Oil Conditioner
  • PT: CJ Repair Me
  • Style: CRN Curl Maker, CRN CW Style-setter, WetLine Xtreme Gel,Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
I have tried the following two products, and here are my notes:

Originally Posted by lionfeather
Great idea!!! I never thought of tossing this into my spray bottle and using it as a quick and easy refresher spray!!!!! I don't have good luck with refresher sprays in general but since I have this product and a spray bottle that sprays a true MIST, I'm definitely going to give this a try.
Hey
Thank you so much for your answers. I'm getting kind of desperate. I'm not sure my SM Shampoo is working for me. My hair gets all stringy, fluffy and frizzy. what could it mean? So now I'm a bit scared to buy other SM products in case they make it worse and it's not sol in my country, so I can't get a sample. I guess I would try the smoothie or the milk but I have to find out if the shampoo is working or not. This is hard (
I never had much luck with the SM shampoos, but didn't let that stop me from trying their conditioners and styling products, some of which are now staples.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
  • PT: CJ Repair Me
Stringy fluffy frizzy hair sounds like build up? Try clarifying before using anything new...the shampoo may not be removing other products in your line up.
3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
NoP: As I Am CC
RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
The mist is nice as a way to hold the hair. Last time I tried to use the milk, it was too heavy and I've since switched over to the Curl junkie Coffee Coco leave-ins (the heavy one for winter and the light one for summer).

I use the smoothie occasionally. I'll bring it with me when I travel as a leave-in and it works great. Or I'll use it on the weekends instead of gel.
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran