Mop Top Curly Custard

I got a sample of this with my CurlMart purchase a looooong time ago. It's been sitting in my bathroom closet, because I was afraid to try it in low dews due to the glycerin. Since it's warmed up here I thought I would try it out! It. Is. Amazing.

The first thing I noticed when I scrunched this in was my curls popped! Much like they do when I leave protein in my hair or when I use mag sulfate. That was an instant win!

I really like that it has a ton of hold! I wasn't sure how it was going to be, so I put my "normal" amount I use of my other gels. I could probably use much less of this gel! My hair was extremely crunchy after drying - but that's a good thing for me, because my curls tend to pull out easily when my hair is drying, and they end up looking blah or funky. I never really get much definition - there's usually either really big clumps that tend to fall when I break them apart, or it's just a frizzy limp mess. I have much more definition with this stuff! And when I shake my head, I can feel my individual curls (I don't know how anybody else is with that, but it feels really great to me! Sure sign of a good hair day!).

Does anybody else use this? How is it in low and high dews? I'm in much need of a gel that works for me. Definitely considering purchasing this if it gives consistent results on the few uses of it I have left.
Spiralli and Curlsnswirls like this.

: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
I use and Love this product as well! I can use it year round, even in low dews and humidity. For low dews and humidity, just using less of the product, using a leave-in, or the steam from the shower will give me a soft to medium hold. For high dews and humidity, a leave-in is not necessary. Compliments always come my way when Mop Top Curly Custard is in my hair; and the definition is easily visible and lasts about 5-6 days.

Obviously, it's a keeper for me!
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
This list is not exhaustive...

SUMMER
Cowash: various
DT:various
LI/Detangler: CURLS Cashmere Curls leave-in
Moisturizer: Nu-Gro Moisturizing Spray
Stylers: Ouidad Wave Create Texture Taffy, JCS natural twist out foam, various
Sealers: Not now

*experimenting and loving it!

Thanks for the info, that is great to hear! I'm going to try it again today. If it gives me the same results I'm going to order it! I can't believe I didn't try this sooner.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CurlTalk App

: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
I recently tried this out myself and was super impressed with the shine, hold and definition. I'm currently trying out a few new products (to me) and this was one of them. I tried it out over just a leave in (KCKT) and nothing else..results were fabulous! I've wanted to try this product out since it came out. Why did I wait so long? Anyway, I have the 8 oz jar so I will keep trying different combos. So far this one is a winner
Just wish curlmart sold the 16 oz jar as well as the 8 oz.
3a (normal-porosity/elasticity/density)
Cleanse: EMB shampoo, poo bars, SM superfruit shampoo
LI/RO:MD RCLI, KCKT, As I am LI, Andalou LI, Briogeo LI-GVPCB, DB pumpkin, SM superfruit Co, EMBC
Stylers: CHS CK, CJPP, CR CM, KCCC, UFDCM, LALSG. Top everything with BRHG or OM Hold up Serum .

LOVE, LOVE Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus hairspray!

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
I LOVE this product! I was trying to find something I liked a bit better than KCCC and this is it!
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
Do any of you get frizzy hair with it? My second attempt was still excellent hold etc. But my hair was really frizzy. It also dried a lot faster than normal, so that could be why. With the dews rising here I'll tend to have frizzy hair more than not though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CurlTalk App

: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
I also want to see what experiences ppl have with this product. II'm trying to hone in on a definer with good definition, lots of hold, is still nourishing to hair, and can power through the dew variations.
I hate kccc. Where do you get this stuff, it sounds enticing
You can get it in CurlMart... not sure where else. I got the sample from CurlMart.

I'm really liking Spiral Solutions Firm Hold Gel, which is reacting very similar, but so far have not gotten as frizzy with it.

I hate kccc. Where do you get this stuff, it sounds enticing
Originally Posted by Ashleynicol
You can order it in Curlmart, or Target, or from their store.
2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
Looks like Curlmart is out of stock, and so is every Target in the two largest cities in my state. The website had stock and even offered a sample for $1.50 but shipping was $8! I saved a little on shipping by ordering on target online.
Styler: HETT, MTCC, KCCC, CRNCM, and LALESG
The first time I used it, there was one section of hair that looked as if it was frizzing up. But that part was also the most wet, and not enough of the product was used. I usually place the product on hair that's in between damp and wet, and use enough so that my hair is very slick and can be fingercombed. Then there is no frizz. HTH.
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
This list is not exhaustive...

SUMMER
Cowash: various
DT:various
LI/Detangler: CURLS Cashmere Curls leave-in
Moisturizer: Nu-Gro Moisturizing Spray
Stylers: Ouidad Wave Create Texture Taffy, JCS natural twist out foam, various
Sealers: Not now

*experimenting and loving it!

Does anyone with a protein sensitivity use this? I notice it has silk amino acids... Eeek I hope my hair doesn't hate it.
Styler: HETT, MTCC, KCCC, CRNCM, and LALESG
Used this and Fuzzy duck gel today. Very very soft. I like it! Love the smell which is hugely unusual for me. Mop Top Curly Custard-imageuploadedbycurltalk1431204924.372832.jpg
sixelamy likes this.
ok guys, please tell me what you think about this. Sorry if its long, but I tend to be detailed. Maybe this should not go under the product review, per se, but I will add a review once I get through this little hiccup.

I received my MTCC yesterday, and was excited today as it was my first application. I was and still am kinda nervous about how my hair will like this since this product has silk amino acids but I will certainly give it a few tries.

OK, so the last week or so, I have been using HE Totally Twisted mousse, which to be quite honest, is giving me good curl definition. It is drying kinda crispy, so obviously, I SOTC. Afterwards, I have good curls, good definition, and it has not appeared to be too drying. I still cannot get good 2nd day hair, so it is very typical for day 2 to be a pony tail. Since the mousse is good at defining, I am getting curlies all around the side of my face and a wild pony tail, so I have been using some HE hairspray, not exactly sure which formula, to spray the sides down for a little hold. Not dousing myself in it or anything, just a very light spray around the whole head.

So now, back to the last couple of cowashes. Using Tresemme Perfectly Undone. It seems like I have a coating on my hair that will not rinse off. And today, after applying cowash AND rinse out, I couldn't even get my KCKT to spread very well in soaking wet hair. I wouldn't say my hair was tangly, well, yes I guess I would say it was tangly. Not detangly, as it usually is.

I went ahead and tried my best to get KCKT in, and added a bit of GVP for leave in, which I never have to do. And added a bit of MopTop to see what it was like. My hair dried pretty much like it would have if I'd used HETT, clumpy, defined, dried crispy and I had to SOTC.

Now, I guess that must be buildup, which this is my first experience with a buildup or something not cowashing out. I am guessing the HETT? But, the ingredients in the HETT don't look that bad, but what do you all think? Could it have been the hairspray building up, and not the mousse? Or is the effect of the MT supposed to be clumpy, defined, and dried crispy? The only other thing I changed was I might use Yes to Coconuts as a RO instead of GVP but I don't think it would be that, would it? Today, my hair is still soft from the deep condition I did over the weekend, but Im starting to see my definition break up just a tad bit, so I am thinking some HETT washed away and some didn't? I dunno, Im just brainstorming really. What do you think?
Styler: HETT, MTCC, KCCC, CRNCM, and LALESG

Last edited by ttoosday; 05-12-2015 at 11:13 AM.
The Yes To line often contains cetyl esters, which are kind of waxy. My hair hated that stuff. Yours might too. Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride also seems to give some hair a headache.

HETT mousse has always washed out pretty cleanly for me, unless you might be sensitive to polyquats. I think the majority of polyquat sensitivity results in wet frizz (I don't suffer that particular problem with polyquats, but did with cetyl esters or PVP, a polymer my hair doesn't care for).
Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

collagen
humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands

Originally Posted by SpiralHam
Oh man, I was really hoping I would not have specific sensitivities like what I read on the boards.
I see what you are saying, the HETT has a polyquat and the YTCoconuts has the cetyl esters, the guar, and a polyquat. Dang, I was hoping the YTCo would be not only a good moisture product, but have good sealing action since it has oils high on the list. I know the HE hairspray is not CG, but I need something to help on 2nd days, so that was just another experiment.
I don't know, I don't think I have a sensitivity to quats, it seems like I've toyed around with this or that product that had a quat or two but if they also had protein they were abandonded for that reason.
This is definitely the first experience like this I have had.
Styler: HETT, MTCC, KCCC, CRNCM, and LALESG

Last edited by ttoosday; 05-12-2015 at 11:45 AM.
I thought some of the HETT stuff had silicones?
I personally love cetyl esters and have never had a problem with them, but polyquats are the devil to my hair. Everyone is different though. My favorite Yes To... conditioner is the Blueberries - it's my fail-safe!

If the hairspray you use has a silicone, you need to do more than cowash. Maybe that is your problem? I can't see polyquats or cetyl esters giving you tangles like that.

: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
I thought some of the HETT stuff had silicones?
Originally Posted by chupie
Well, the mousse doesn't look too bad, but I am still kinda new to recognizing ingredients, and the ones that are hiding under other names will certainly get by me.
Im not sure which hairspray formula I have, its one of the two listed below.

Heres the ingredients for the TT mousse:
Water, Isobutane, Propane, Polyquaternium 4, Crassula Argentea Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower/Leaf Stem Extract, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, C9 11 Pareth 8, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid

And the Body Envy hs:
Water, Dimethyl Ether, SD Alcohol 40, VA/Crotonates/Vinyl Neodecanoate Copolymer, Acrylates Crosspolymer, Coral Flower (Russelia Equisetiformis) Extract, Prunus Persica Nectarina Extract, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, Amino Methyl Propanol, Glycereth 7 Triacetate, Ammonium Benzoate, PEG 8 Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexylamine, Acetamide MEA

And the Set Me Up hs:
Water, Dimethyl Ether, Alcohol Denat., VA/Crotonates/Vinyl Neodecanoate Copolymer, Acrylates Crosspolymer, Cereus Grandiflorus (Cactus) Flower Extract (Cactus), Bambusa Vulgaris (Bamboo) Leaf/Stem Extract (Bamboo), Fragrance, Amino Methyl Propanol, Glycereth 7 Triacetate, Ammonium Benzoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexamine, PEG 8 Dimethicone, Acetamide MEA

Again, I knew the hairspray may be non CG but I didn't expect the result I got today.
Styler: HETT, MTCC, KCCC, CRNCM, and LALESG

Last edited by ttoosday; 05-12-2015 at 12:25 PM.