-   -   Ojon Restorative vs palm oil? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/24644-ojon-restorative-vs-palm-oil.html)

cupcakegirl39 07-21-2007 04:48 PM

Ojon Restorative vs palm oil?

Has anyone tried pure virgin palm oil as a deep treatment vs Ojon's restorative? I am just trying the Ojon and I love it to death but I am wondering if this is all marketing etc and since the main ingred is palm oil would this work the same? The cheapskate in me hopes so:)

Suburbanbushbabe 07-21-2007 05:15 PM

Using your exact same reasoning, I tried palm kernel oil. It was a disaster. I still have 5 lbs of the stuff, it's rock solid. I hear it's good for making soaps and lotions.

ETA - I've occasionally used castor oil as an overnight pre-treatment, which works somewhat like Ojon.

cupcakegirl39 07-21-2007 06:04 PM

Holy Crap! That sounds like an I Love Lucy episode! LOL! I wasn't going to buy a drum of it because I was afraid of your experience. Is that the same as virgin palm oil? I was looking on the tropical traditions website and they actually had a lot of recipes for using it. After doing a little research it seems that they are used for different things. The Virgin palm oil is used in cooking and the palm kernel oil is used in what you referred to. I found this on them......

"palm oil; palm-kernel oil
The reddish-orange oil extracted from the pulp of the fruit of the African palm. It's extremely high in saturated fat (78 percent) and has a distinctive flavor that is popular in West African and Brazilian cooking. Palm-kernel oil, though also extremely high in saturated fat, is a different oil extracted from the nut or kernel of palms. It's a yellowish-white color and has a pleasantly mild flavor. Palm-kernel oil is used in the manufacture of margarine and cosmetics. It's usually listed on labels simply as "palm oil"

*Scratches head* This is just too confusing. I'm going to go to my local ethnic market and see if they have just plain palm oil.

Brio 07-21-2007 07:56 PM

where can you buy palm oil?

Seems like I recall reading somewhere that coconut oil is supposed to have some of the same kinds of fatty acids as the ojon.

Brio 07-21-2007 08:00 PM

here's a link to the stuff about ojon I referred to above. You have to scroll down a bit, but there's also other interesting articles, too.

Suburbanbushbabe 07-21-2007 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by cupcakegirl39

"palm oil; palm-kernel oil

I have the palm-kernel oil. And now I know why when I went searching for it, it was sold in flakes. I would have to melt it down to decant it, it is so frikkin hard. If you go shopping on the ground for the palm oil (red palm) it's also know as dende and used in Brazilian cooking, but make sure it's pure as it's often mixed with regular corn or veggie oil. Better to get it from a reputable web site that sells carrier oils.

Originally Posted by Brio
where can you buy palm oil?

You want palm kernel oil? You can buy it from me :D I've got plenty! Yes, I read that article too. I've tried castor/coconut mix and that has worked. Castor is an excellent oil for pre-pooing or scrunching a tiny bit on my ends, pre- or post-styling

SammySingally 11-10-2011 03:37 PM

Palm oil in flakes?
I wish I could send the real palm oil to you guys, but I don't know how that'll be possible from here.
I'm no longer in England. Now, I'm in Africa (which is not so bad, I might add, but I prefer England). I mixed race so, that should explain that. My grandmother (from my dad's side) bought a lot of palm oil and sent some over. The palm oil she gets comes straight from the guys who actually extract the oil. Now, that is real, pure, natural palm oil. I had never heard of palm oil flakes till now. I will try the palm oil I have on my hair saaaaaay.....tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. I'll tell you guys what my hair thought of it.

SammySingally 11-12-2011 02:11 PM

Okay! so let's start with how I used it:
I got some rice water on my hair after a few minutes, without rinsing off the rice water, I got a tiny plastic bowl, poured some palm oil in it, got a bigger bowl and filled it with hot water then I placed the smaller bowl in the bigger one. I then sectioned my hair into....err...I've forgotten. I still kept on sectioning and getting the palm oil from my scalp to my hair then I single-braided my hair in sections. I then put on a plastic cap then tied scarves (two) over it to 1. prevent noises from the plastic cap and 2. to prevent a possible leakage of the palm oil onto my pillow. I slept with it on then took out the braids and washed it out in the morning. I started washing it out with conditioner (and detangling) first then I mixed a bit of shampoo in with the conditioner and then washed my hair better. I then rinsed that out, filled a bucket with water and turned my hair over letting it all be in the water, but my face not in it. I swished it around a bit, got it out then did a final conditioner wash.

After all that:
I then did a final detangling process then got a little canola, basil and rosemary oil into my hair because of the shampoo that I used. Afterwards, I combed it out and held it away from my face then I got a really tiny bit of aloe vera onto my hair. I left the house with my hair still wet for a rehearsal. After the rehearsal, I went to get my hair braided with extensions at a salon. I never comb my hair dry so I wet it up a bit by myself and that's when I felt my hair and I was like, "Ohmigosh! it's so soft!"

What I liked about it:
How soft it made my hair feel and how my hair looked. Seriously, it feels really good.

What I didn't like about it:
Washing it out was a.... dilemma. It took quite a long time. That irritated me a bit because I had someone coming over to pick me up to head to the rehearsals, they were 30 minutes away and I hadn't showered yet so it took a lot of time. Luckily, they stopped over to buy some things so I had about an hour. I spent most of the time washing out the palm oil. I didn't even get to detangle my hair fully so I did that at the salon.

My advice to you:
Don't use palm oil on your hair if you know you're going to be in a hurry when you need to wash it out.
If you're sure you're not going to be in a hurry, go ahead! use it on your hair! it's really good! It's also anti-fungal, antibacterial besides its conditioning, softening and treating properties.

What am I going to do?:
I'm going to try this out about once every 2 months. I'm saying every 2 months because I don't think I'll have the patience every month to wash it out and also, I have rehearsals till December. But, 2 months...at least I get to use it! :)

*Please note that it may or may not work the same way it did for me for you. We all have very different hair even if they are of the same hair type. What works for one person may or may not work for another.

camia02 01-23-2012 07:45 PM

palm oil

I bought palm oil from iherb for $11 a pound. I am going to try it on my hair and I hope it works like the Ojon product. If it doesn't, I can just eat the Organic Palm Oil and be full of antioxidants. I think it's a ploy calling it Ojon oil and I am glad to see you guys arent being tricked. They have making cosmetics dot com and here to you can just make your own de aging products and hair treatments. I hope the Palm oil works. It would be hundreds of dollars to buy a pound from Ojon and I doubt it's necessary. I will try to post later if this works.

jeepcurlygurl 01-23-2012 09:07 PM

There are so many kinds of palms, wouldn't the oils from different species be different? Do we know what species of palm is used in Ojon?
Not that I plan on using anything other than Ojon, simply because I'm addicted to the scent. And I get it pretty cheap on Ebay. But if I could copy that scent I would probably experiment with a cheaper substitute.

NorahBugg 04-17-2012 04:13 PM

I found this posting when looking for something else. Anyone use either palm oil or the Ojon lately, and would either be too much for a fine/medium wavy hair type? I'm confused because I thought oils were used for leave-ins and Ojon is a deep treatment? I'm looking more for a treatment - something to combat dryness, too. Thanks!

SammySingally 04-17-2012 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by NorahBugg (Post 1935415)

Hi :)
I haven't used palm oil on my hair since November 2011. I did have AMAZING results with it. My hair felt so soft, moisturised and looked so beautiful. However, it was a horrid process to wash out the palm oil (took forever!).
Palm oil should be used as a deep treatment to combat dryness and not as a leave-in in my opinion because it can stain things and the body heat that aids the treatment helps your hair absorb what it needs from the palm oil better than if it was used as a leave-in.
Would it be too much? It all depends on how much of it you use (my advice is for you not to use too much).

By the way, the palm oil I used is 100% natural, my grandmother (dad's mum - black) got it straight from it's primary sellers in Africa so I'm sure of how natural and pure it is. Also, it's a reddish, orangey, yellow colour and if it's heated up, it melts to look like a coloured oil.

NorahBugg 04-17-2012 06:08 PM

Thanks - Yeah, soem of the discussion before confused me about the different types, also. Maybe I should stick with my earlier plan of buying coconut oil or shea butter. They sound more user friendly. I know that I can get those locally, too. Thanks again!

jeepcurlygurl 04-17-2012 07:17 PM

I still use Ojon. I put some in my deep treatments. And I also use it on flyaways or just run a bit thru my hair when it feel dry, mostly in the winter. I'm addicted to the scent so I'll probably never give it up. : )