Kinky Curly Knot Today/ expanded to inlcude KCCC too

Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave In/Detangler
Me: Coarse, thick 3B/A - long hair. I get plenty of knots and tangles, especially at the nape.

PROS:
Awesome detangling
CG friendly - cone free

CONS:
I have to buy it online
I need a bigger bottle!! A bit expensive for the amount I use.

Other aspects that may be pro or con for you depending on your needs.
Protein free (Yipee for me!!)
Oil free
Light consistency
There is a fragrance listed on the bottle, but this didn't smell like anything to me.
Glycerin free for those with finicky hair dye.

Ingredients:

Aqueous extracts of wild cherry bark, slippery elm, marshmallow root, cetyl alcohol, stearalkonium chloride, citric acid, DMDM Hydantoin and natural fragrance.

I saw this mentioned by thinfine during a discussion about protein free conditioners. I perked up because I thought that I had tried out most of the protein free stuff already. This product was new to me. I had heard some mixed reviews on customer service and shipping costs from the KC website, so I got mine off of ebay. The shipping was faster and less expensive than it would have been on the KC website.

The consistency surprised me at first. I poured out too much my first time as it is on the thinner side. I looked at it and figured that it could never detangle my thick mop. Looking at the ingredient list didn't help much either as nothing seemed magical there. But, as I put it in my hair, those knots really dissolved!!! Quick and easy! I didn't feel the seaweedy slip that people like, so it seemed weird that a non-slippery product could detangle so well. The conditioning properties were even fairly decent for a thinner product.

It also makes a nice leave in for me, perhaps due to its lightness. It puts many of those stray hairs back into my curls. No problems rinsing during my next water dunking.

The only downside for me is the small bottle size of 8oz for $12 before shipping. It's been just over a week and my bottle is almost empty since I use this to detangle and then again as a leave-in (I use a heavier condish in between). I really wish it came in bigger sizes.

I really like this stuff and so does thinfine. So, if a thick corse head and a thin fine head can both like this, it probably has wide pro-curly potential. Those of you who like a lighter condish may be able to use this all alone.

Performace:
More neutral on other aspects, mostly due to bottle size.

I have already re-ordered, so I guess I'm satisfied overall.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
Thanks for the review. Never considered this as a leave-in because I was so turned off by my customer experience with Kinky Curly. If it's on ebay I would be willing to try.
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe
Here's the ebay vendor:

CLick on hair care on the left side and then kinky curly.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
This stuff is still working quite well. No buildup or ingredient reaction issues. I've re-ordered and am now treating it a a steady part of my routine.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
Yes, I am beating a dead horse, but....

I went all week without this as my ebay vendor had supply issues. It came in the morning mail, and I hopped right into the shower. Nuts, I know.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, what a relief to have this back. This is the only thing I have used where I don't need a comb to help detangle. I can squish and lightly finger comb and get out my knots, big and small - even those painfully sharp ones at the nape of my neck. It makes such a huge difference in how my hair feels.

I hope that this formula never ever changes. Now that Curlmart carries it, it gives me another buying option.

Hey redcelticcurls, I have a question -

Did this stuff help keep your hair detangled during the day? That's a big problem for me - it gets so tangled up throughout the day!

And when you say it put stray hairs back in your curls, do you mean that it helped mold those annoying stubborn flyaways and random pieces back in with the other curls? If that's the case, I HAVE to buy this stuff. I have major issues with that.

Originally Posted by asleep to audio
Nah, it doesn't help me to prevent tangles. I have too many curls for tangles not to happen I guess.

Pineappling probably helps me the most with tangle prevention, but I haven't found anything yet to totally prevent them.

The KT does help me reduce flyaways. It doesn't eliminate them, but it does reduce them for me. When I use it as a leave-in, I have fewer stubborn individual hairs or small groups of hairs that won't fit it with a curl. Curl Keeper seems to be good for that too.

If it did nothing else but detangle, I'd still get it. It's just that good of a detangler for me.

Originally Posted by asleep to audio

Originally Posted by redcelticcurls
And with the IVILLAGE code...oh man, I have to get this stuff.

Celebrate we will, 'cause life is short but sweet, for certain.
Redcelticcurls, how conditioning would you say this is? I see that you mentioned that you use a heavier conditioner in additon. Is it more a detangler than an actual conditioner?

I get terrible snarls and tangles which take FOREVER to gently comb out in the shower if I don't want to totally rip my hair out and this product sounds promising. I can easily spend 5+ min. just untangling my hair in the shower . And I'm also interested that it can help with those little stray hairs that poke out of my curls.

Thanks!
3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
I just got mine yesterday from ebay (she was out of stock for awhile). Had to practice severe self-control not to wet and style hair again (I cleansed and styled just yesterday morning). But oooohhh, I want to experiment, and try it with my AOMM and John Masters Gels, and mixed with SheaMoisture leave-in and...
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Magoo, I would say it's on the lighter side, but i have thick coarse hair. Someone with fine hair might be able to use this for regular conditioning. It is thinnish like some standard drugstore conditioners. I don't know how in the world this stuff detangles so well.

Yesterday, me hair felt pretty decent after using this, and I used my heavier conditioner from about chine length down. The top portion of my hair turned out fine, so I think there is potential. I'm about a month back in to cg after a lapse, so I may rebound enough where I could use the KT alone every other wetdown or so - at least until winter kicks in. I'll have to play with that next.

It is marketed as a detangler/leave in conditioner. If it can do those two, I don't see why some wouldn't be able to use it as a standard rinse out conditioner. I'm hoping some more fine haired curlies try it out because it doesn't seem to be havy at all. I know that thinfine likes it.

Suburbanbushbase, your post cracked me up. I can't wait to see how it works for you! I'd feel a bit guilty if everyone else hates it!

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
Thanks RCC. I find that I lose curl definition and get a bit poofy when I use heavy condish all the time (I think my hair gets too soft) so I like to alternate with something light.
SO..I went ahead and ordered the Knot Today from Curlmart . I also broke down and ordered the KCC. .
I just couldn't resist the 20% off.
I hope I like.

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
I just couldn't resist the 20% off.
I hope I like.
Originally Posted by Magoo
Well, if you hate the KCCC, it seems to be easily swappable/sellable on the swap boards. It seems to be a product that is either loved or hated. It seems to be finicky about what types of products it is layered over.

I got unintentional third day hair today with the combo though (it helps that it is cool outside) so it's a keeper for me.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
I think marshmallow root is a magic ingredient. It seems to do wonders for making curly hair feel silky.

KCCC has quite a few fans, so it shouldn't be hard to find a home for it. It's wonderful that CurlMart is carrying this product line again!
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
This is kind of off-topic, but since KCCC was mentioned on this thread...

How does it compare to Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding? I like MJCP but it has so much mineral oil now! KCCC says it aids in helping curls "hang" better and not poof out, and MJCP says it does something similar. Obviously KCCC is cheaper, so how else does it compare?

Celebrate we will, 'cause life is short but sweet, for certain.
Thanks for asking this ATA. I was about to start a separate thread but if the ladies here are willing to answer some of your questions that would be great.
I'm a little worried because it does seem to be a love it or hate it type product. But on the other hand, my hair usually HATES whatever everyone else is raving about and loves what everyone else hates so maybe it will work for me. I have freaky hair .

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
I have the KCCC and I really dont like it. It makes my hair hard and sticky. I also have the Knot Today, which i've had for so long but havent tried. But redcelticcurls great review has made me think about using it sometime this week
Super Thick corkscrews and waves. LOVE Elucence MBC, Giovanni 50/50 condish, Qhemet Products, V05 Calming Chamomile Tea Therapy condish, Jessicurl WDT. These are my official HG's that I love oh so much

I have the KCCC and I really dont like it. It makes my hair hard and sticky.
Originally Posted by Ashkins1118
Have you considered posting it on the swap board?

Originally Posted by Castella
The marshmallow root eh? It must be some magical plant I tell ya.

Asleep to audio, I've not tried the Curply Pudding. The price put me off before, and the formula changes (with mineral oil high up) put me off now.

I think that the Kinky Curly website mentions how to use KCCC for elongation/shrinkage prevention. I've been using it for curl enhancement/moisturization, so I've just been scrunching it in the same I would do for a regular gel.

What Ashkins wrote about KCCC seems to be a common complaint for those who didn't like it.

Originally Posted by Castella
The marshmallow root eh? It must be some magical plant I tell ya.

Originally Posted by redcelticcurls
Now that would be as a leave in correct? I am thinking about this as a rinse out.