Old 07-30-2007, 08:33 AM   #1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Default Does anyone use sea salt or surf spray?

Before CG I used John Freida Beach Blonde surf spray and loved it.

I know KMS, John Masters Organics, Bumble and Bumble and Avon "Mark"
all have sprays. Have you used these or others?

Let me know your opinion and if they were CG.

Thanks so much.
"What's the good of having naturally curly hair if nobody's jealous?" Freida - Peanuts

Old 07-30-2007, 12:13 PM   #2

ambrosia77's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007

I often use Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray. I spritz it on after my leave-in conditioner but before any cream or gel. I often use it under L'Oreal OoB and HE TT gel and it seems to work well to boost my waves. These sort of sprays are said to be drying so I try not to use them all the time and to always use them with a leave-in.

It is CG, here are the ingredients:

Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray
Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Magnesium Sulfate, Macrocystic Pyrifera Extract (Kelp), Algae Extract (Algae), Isoceteth 20, Potassium Sorbate, Propylene Glycol, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance (Parfum)
I just ordered a different beach spray from Avon that my sister recommended to me. Here is the link:

This one is CG too (well it has a water-soluble cone), the ingredients are on the site. The Mark one is not CG if I recall.

The Avon spray is about 1/8th the price of the B&B so hopefully it will work well!

HTH

p.s. I'm new, but I'm also a Boston wavie (Cambridge technically)
ambrosia77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:10 AM   #3

Join Date: Aug 2006

Hey ambrosia - thanks for the info.

I might just try that Avon stuff if I can order from Avon on line without going through an Avon lady. If not I'll try Bumble and Bumble since its CG - I appreciate you listing the ingredients.

And it's great to have fellow Bostonians on the board - welcome!

Old 07-31-2007, 06:12 AM   #4

Kaia's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006

I believe lauraloo was using sea salt spray for a while. If you do a search for her, she had some pictures in her www link.
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
Kaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:15 AM   #5

Join Date: Aug 2006

Thanks Bailey - I'll try that too.

I am really interested in sea salt spray as I like how my hair looks after I've been out in the ocean. The sea salt must do something for my hair.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:23 AM   #6

xcptnl's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2005

Frederic Fekkai also has one but it's a limited time (too odd!!). It's not cheap - $20 on Sephora and they don't list all the ingredients either.

ETA - have you tried making the all in one spray? I found it very similar to the ones I have purchased in the past....I loved the John Freida one.

The last page has updated ingredients/amounts.

xcptnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #7

ambrosia77's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007

It's easy to order online from Avon. I do it quite often (unfortunately )!

There is also a code that gives you free shipping on any order (even a $3.99 one!) which makes it easy to justify ordering. The code is ENTAV2007. I've used it multiple times and have never had a problem with it.

I'm also waiting on the Mark Curl Goddess gel (CG) and I will report on that and the beach spray once I try them.
ambrosia77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:25 AM   #8

Join Date: Aug 2006

You guys are the best. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:59 PM   #9

Join Date: Jul 2007

hey! i use Bumble and Bumble south surf spray. I'm pretty happy with it. I have kind of a weird routine when I use it- I plop for like 5 minutes with no product, then spray it in, and I get amazing body and curls. sometimes I will put in a bit of some kind of curl enhancing cream, then plop, then use the spray almost like a hair spray just for hold/texture, and it seems to work really well (especially with MOP C-curl enhancing cream). I don't use the B&B everyday - just every so often - but it works pretty damn well. I love the texture. the only thing that bothers me is the matte-ish finish. i like to have more shine, and unfortunately, salt sprays arent really shine-inducing. either way, I would definitely recommend it.
2 cocktail!

currently using: LUSH seanik solid poo, LUSH veganese condish, NG aloe (sometimes), no styling products - I am way too fed up, and my hair looks fine without them so far...

CKMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:23 AM   #10

Hey - thanks CKMucnhkin.

I wouldn't use it everyday either.

I do have the Fekkai beach hair stuff, I like it but it has alot of oil and builds up quickly on my fine hair. Smells awesome though.

I did end up ordering the stuff from Avon. I will probably use your method though. It makes sense.

I'll let you all know how I like the stuff whem I get it.
Thanks again.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #11

The Scientist's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Send a message via AIM to The Scientist

bostonwaves, is the fekkai stuff CG? i used to the the john frieda stuff too, but i'm looking for a CG alternative. i tried the old formula of musica_al's all-in-one spray, and it worked great but didn't have enough hold for me. I think I want to try the new version, though.
2c/3a CG
HG products: AG Recoil, DevaCurl Set It Free
The Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:33 AM   #12

Scientist -

I think it is. I originally got this on Sephora but since its a limited edition its no longer there. It's not on Bath and Body either, although if you can go to a shop you may be able to get it. The only place I could still find it is EBAY.

From Fekkai's site is the description, See below. It's in a bright orange spray bottle.

Summer Hair Beach Waves

Tousled Wave Spray

Sexy on or off the beach. Create a tousled, "beachy" look with heat-activated conditioning. About Summer Hair

Summertime is all about sexy, undone style. But achieving the perfect "just-off-the-beach" look shouldn't mean exposing your hair to the damaging effects of the sun, saltwater, and chlorine. Frédéric Fekkai brings back the three best-selling Summer Hair products from 2006 and introduces two new sun-safe solutions — featuring innovative Solarshield™ technology to protect, hydrate and replenish hair all summer long.
Ingredients
Water (Aqua/Eau), PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Propylene Glycol, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Cystine Bis-PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Bioflavonoids, Hydrolyzed Adansonia Digitata Extract, Dextrin, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Extract, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Wheat Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Protein, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Protein, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Benzophenone-4, Trisodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum), Benzyl Salicylate, Coumarin, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal, Limonene, Linalool, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Yellow 6 (CI 15985).

Old 08-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #13

xcptnl's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2005

I totally spaced it but Freeman makes a spray called Surf's UP Curl Enhancing Spray. I had bought it earlier in the summer (it ended up near the back of the stock as I have such issues with sprays but this is one of the better ones if I spray it in my hands and then just go over my canopy of fuzziness).

xcptnl is offline   Reply With Quote