View Poll Results: Which do you prefer, No Poo or Hair Cleansing Cream
Hair Cleansing Cream 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #1

Default No-poo vs. Hair Cleansing Cream

Yup, inspired by the Jojoba Jelly vs. Curling Custard Cream poll.

I haven't tried either one, so I can't vote. I'm looking at both, and I can't decide. Please post which you prefer, why, and your hair-type. Thanks!
3b/c...or thereabouts.

Album: http://photobucket.com/albums/a119/CrazyCurlyQ/

Password: curlomania
(albums are on the lefthand side)
SapphireWingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:42 PM   #2

mayim's Avatar

Join Date: May 2004

I think they are really different products.

HCC is going to get product build up out (some 'cones, quats, etc.) and clean your hair/scalp.

No-Poo doesn't really have any surfactants that I can tell, but for me it does cleanse the hair as well as scalp a bit more thoroughly than just a conditioner wash. Basically it is a dream of a washing conditioner, but it likely won't help you out if you are using products prone to build up.

I voted for No-Poo because I absolutely love it, and HCC made my scalp freak out and left my hair fuzzy and horrid. I thought it was the cleanser in it, but I've since used harsher cleansers with just fine results, so I'm suspecting that it might have been some of the oils that left me in frizz-dom.

Total speculation and just my experience. Many, many curlies swear by and love HCC to the max.

HTH!

M
coarse, thick 3a
modified cg

mayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:59 PM   #3

Join Date: Dec 2004

Hmm... thanks. Just based soley on your review, HCC sounds more like what I'm looking for. My scalp has a ton and half of build up on it. When I scratch my head, all this gunk comes up under my nail.
3b/c...or thereabouts.

Album: http://photobucket.com/albums/a119/CrazyCurlyQ/

Password: curlomania
(albums are on the lefthand side)
SapphireWingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:25 PM   #4

mayim's Avatar

Join Date: May 2004

Well, actually, I don't think that you need HCC necessarily for scalp build up. I find No-Poo to be a better option in that regard. I say this because I find that surfactants in contact with my scalp dry it out and do a number on it. I had a very bad dandruff problem which going shampoo-less completely cured me of.

I now know that the key to keeping my scalp in good health is to massage it well on a regular basis with a good cleansing conditioner - this means one that is not too heavy, yet moisturizing, and contains some essential oils (whether in the formula or added myself). This makes No-Poo an excellent option as it fills the bill perfectly. Plus you can really massage it into your scalp to get the gunk off (doing this with HCC made my scalp dry and painful) - just massage your scalp vigorously and thoroughly with your fingertips, let it sit for a bit, then massage again as you rinse thoroughly.

As for product ingredient build-up on the actual length of your hair - the hair shaft - HCC is the better bet.

JMHO ~ HTH!

Old 05-10-2005, 11:11 PM   #5

JerseyCurl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2003

Originally Posted by SapphireWingstar
I have used both in the past and for build up I would definately go with HCC over No Poo. HCC is very good at removing gunk in the scalp and hair. No Poo is more moisturizing per say but I have noticed that if I use No Poo too often it weighs down my curls unlike HCC which I can use 2-3 times a week with no problems.
"Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
JerseyCurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:09 AM   #6

skywatcher's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2004

Definately have to say the Hair Cleansing Cream. I really like it alot!! No poo is sort of meh... for me at least.
3a/2c
Long layers, past BSL
Loving: CON poo, Elucence MBC, Jessicurl WDT, B&A Gel.
SLS free poos since Feb 6/05
skywatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:02 AM   #7

miacurl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004

Definitely HCC. No poo leaves my head very gunky.
2C/3A auburn hair.
between shoulders and BSL
miacurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:24 AM   #8

PixieCurl's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2004

i'm with mayim - they're totally different. i use and love both. i use no poo when my scalp feels gunky and to give my hair some oomph at the roots. EXCELLENT for this. just as mayim said, it's like a dream washing conditioner. i use HCC to get rid of any polyquats from my styling products or mild cones in devacurl conditioners, about once every week or two.
i do feel no poo de-gunks my scalp better, but technically speaking, HCC has the ingredients necessary to remove polyquats and mild cones and no poo does not.
that all said, if i didn't use any products with polyquats or cones, i would probably just use no poo.
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy
PixieCurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:16 PM   #9

lushaholic's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2004
Send a message via ICQ to lushaholic Send a message via MSN to lushaholic

If I had replied before pixiecurl then I would have said exactly what she said, but again I just find myself saying 'ditto' to what she said. I really find them as being 2 completely different types of cleansers. I use them both regularly as well as throwing in Devacurl Low-Poo into the rotation sometimes.
3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07