Mop Top Daily Conditioner

I was really excited to try this and it was a bit of a splurge for me, but now I feel it may be weighing my hair down. My hair has been acting really limp and flat on top.
It could be my Joico mousse instead. I've been experimenting with that again . . . any ideas? TIA!
Leave Ins: Conflicted relationship--no fave
Fave stylers: Aveda Flax Seed & Aloe over Aveda Phmollient mousse, KCCC over anything, Biolage Firm Hold Gelee (HG for spring/summer), CK

I really like this conditioner because it's moisturizing and never weighs me down. I do have to really rinse thoroughly, but I have to do that with any rinse-out conditioner. Other than that, I don't know what to suggest unless maybe you're using too much? I can say, however, that I don't have much luck with the Joiwhip mousse -- my hair gets flat and gunky, no matter how little I use -- so maybe you're having the same problem? I know a lot of people here love the Joiwhip, but for some reason my hair doesn't like it. Try just using the conditioner and a product that you know works for you and see if there's any improvement.

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

Thanks, I'll do that. So far I like the conditioner, so I'd be sad if that were the issue. I'll try cutting out the mousse for a while instead, and I'll be sure to rinse the conditioner out thoroughly as well.

Originally Posted by kiniha
I just bought this stuff as well. I've used it a few times and have had luck with it. I also bought the D.T. and loved it.

I can't use it every day though ... I wonder if you gave your hair a break from it if it would help.

I love the Joiwhip. I have had lots of luck with that ... lots of curls. It does dry a little crunchy for me. I can scrunch most of it out, but I find the top of my head still looks a little stiff for my liking.

If the Joiwhip doesn't work for you, you might want to try Redken's Fresh Curls Spring Mousse. It works really well and isn't as heavy as the Joiwhip.
Thanks for the input. I've gone back to my Jessicurl (AND stopped the Joico) for the time being and my hair is back to normal. I'm going to try to use the Mop Top again soon--I wonder if I was using too much. The thing is, I do find it a bit hard to distribute at first.

How much of the conditioner do you use? Do you shampoo at all, or co-wash? I've been using Jessicurl's HCC 2 times a week or so.

Thanks!

(I'm glad for the Redken hint, too. Mousses usually work well for me--Paul Mitchell's was great last time I used it.)

Originally Posted by kiniha
I use maybe a dime-size (maybe a little more) of the Mop Top Co. while flipped upside down- I just go by how well my hair is detangling - if I feel like I need more, I add it; I work that through really well, comb with a wide-tooth comb and then flip upright and add another dime-size amount. I comb it all through and then rinse, rinse, rinse -- upside down.

ETA -- oh yeah -- yes, I do shampoo about 3 times a week and co-wash in between.

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

thanks, msgiblet! i'll try imitating your system--if i could get my hair to curl like yours i'd be all set.

Thanks!
Hi There !
I tried the Paul Mitchell mousse as well - it is awesome ... Have you ever tried the Round Trip by PM .. it is great too ... I'm a bit of a product junkie

I rub the Mop Top in my hands before I start to distributed it through my hair. I don't find I have to use as much of the Mop Top as I do other conditioners. It is a heavier conditioner ... you may not be able to use it every day.

I co-wash every day. I still haven't been able to get the 2nd day hair without it. I only 'shampoo' about every 3 days. By shampoo - no sulphates. I use HCC as well. My skin is silly-sensitive, so I have to rotate all my products .... for that reason alone, I don't use the same shampoo or conditioner two days in a row.

Good Luck with it ... There is nothing worse than buying something and finding it doesn't work for you.
thanks for the info! I bought a wide-toothed comb yesterday.

I tried using msgiblet's method--two dime sized amounts, combed in while in the shower, once upside down and once right-side up, and i had great curls. (I used Curl Keeper as my styling product.) Maybe a bit flat on top, but could be other factors.

Overall, the info. from you both has helped A LOT. Cheers!
Leave Ins: Conflicted relationship--no fave

thanks for the info! I bought a wide-toothed comb yesterday.

Overall, the info. from you both has helped A LOT. Cheers!
Originally Posted by kiniha
WONDERFUL! I'm so glad it worked for you!

Now, you can give me some advice. Was Curl Keeper the only styling product you used? Did you get any hold at all? How much did you use? I've been wanting to try this alone as my only styling product since I get more frizz in the winter than I due in the summer, but I've been afraid I'll just be a greasy, limp mess. I'd appreciate anything you can tell me about it. Thanks!

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

I find that using Curl Keeper alone lets my hair dry soft, shiny and faster than with gels. I may have surface frizz, but the CK seems to let my curls and waves dry with less weight on them so I get better curl formation in general. I'm sort of encouraging myself to allow a little frizz as natural.

I'm still experimenting with CK. I like to use puddles a quarter size or even a dime size--one for scrunching wet hair upside down, one for scrunching upside down and head to one side, one for scrunching upside down and head to the other side (like in the jessicurl product application video) and one for right side up--smoothing over canopy and scrunching onto the ends of my hair. I dry it naturally or diffuse. I'm starting to use a bit of water and then CK over surface frizz and it seems to revive my dry hair too. (I got the idea of using it on dry hair from another poster--maybe jaxie?)

HTH!

HTH!
Originally Posted by kiniha
Thank you so much - that was very helpful! Are you combing the CK through as per the instructions or just scrunching? Today I actually combed my gel through while it was soaking wet and then scrunched like crazy and let it air dry & my hair came out really good and frizz free.

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

I've only combed the CK through once. My hair was v. curly but also a bit fly-away. I think with the scrunching I get bigger curls--clumpier I guess. I'm still experimenting.

I also haven't decided how much CK is ideal for me, i.e. dime size, quarter size, etc. An issue is how to be sure my canopy has enough product, and the back of my head--places I get frizz.