Are you curl-obsessed enough to be a guinea pig?

So, I have just closed my business of 10 years and everybody is asking me what I'm going to be doing with myself. I have a variety of plans but one of them -- purely for fun -- is to start a really modest little Web site that acts as a kind of Consumer Reports for curly hair products. Maybe such a thing already exists? I don't know. (If you know of one, though, please tell me!). Here's my idea. One woman from each of the different hair types will test whatever product we'd all like to test. The results will not be scientific, obviously, with only with person from each hair type providing an opinion but it could be very fun to just test various products and also provide honest, unbiased, hype-free information to other women who were thinking about buying certain products.

Although I love naturallycurly.com, shopping for products here is just as confusing as it is at a beauty supply store. The site I imagine putting together (again -- this would be a modest effort, designed as much for the participants as the readers) would, for instance, only test out 'cone-free products. Accepting advertising might be tricky but maybe it could just be accepted from the companies we've all given a thumbs-up to? I don't know. This is all in the very formative stages, as you can see.

I just think there needs to be a place where we can go where there is less to sift through and more that is targeted to your precise needs. (For instance, you know when you shop at Whole Foods that what you're getting is organic, fair-trade, etc.)

What do you all think about this hair-brained idea?? Post here or send me a personal message. I'm all ears.
3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
Twitter: nopoojillipoo
I think it's a great idea. I thinking about making my own line of stuff (all natural) anyway I hope it gets going because I think it would really help when it comes time for shopping. Good Luck!
I think that it is a fantastic idea! That's the type of website I've been looking for. I'd love to participate but I don't have tons of money to buy products with. Maybe you could work out samples of the products for those who are testing them.

I'm a fine/thin 2C/3A. Let me know when you get this going. I'd love to participate!
I think that is a GREAT idea. I'd be willing to try new products for you, as I've still haven't found the perfect combination for myself. Just keep us posted!
~~Lorraine, mom to Nikolas 8/30/04, Troi 5/20/06 and 3 angel babies

It is hard to say good-bye when you never had the chance to say hello
I don't think it's hair-brained (except in the pun sense ) but I'm wondering how this service will differ from the Product Reviews forum here.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

I was thinking it would be really, really small in scope. Just a few women (three? six maybe?) and each month they would all try the same product and then report back on what they thought of it. They'd all have different kinds of hair and the reader would know what kind of hair they have (it would be in their profile), so that whatever review they gave could be considered in the context of their specific hair type. (Different from the reviews here at NC in that you don't have to plow through five million comments to know whether a product might be right for your type.)

This is really just a vague idea at this point. I have absolutely no intention of posing any competition to NC in any way. It would just be a modest little blog where a few women have fun with some products at regular intervals. Maybe even irregular intervals.
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
Twitter: nopoojillipoo
I think that's a cool idea...whenever I want to try something new I always have to come to the boards first to see if it's CG or not. Not only do I have to sift through the posts to find out #1, if it's something we all love, #2 if we're loving it, is it even CG? and #3 is my hair type loving it?! It would be nice to have a place that recognizes only CG products. Sometimes I wish the products here were color coded or something to indicate that they're either CG, modified CG or not CG at all. It would make my life easier!!!

Anyone, I'm up for being a tester...only for CG products though!! 3B/C!!
3B~Botticelli/3C~ Corkicelli~Blonde
Faves: B&A Gel, BRHG, ReCoil, KC Knot Today, Curl Junkie CCCC

PW: dmbcurls
I'm willing to be a guinea pig! 2-3a fine hair - modified CG
http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

Thank you for the feedback. This is all very useful information for NaturallyCurly.com as we work on our site redesign.

As I'm sure most of you are aware, we have a Product Reviews section where we do much of what has been suggested here, but could certainly use some improvement.

We hope to launch our redesign in January 2008, and welcome any and all feedback!
Gretchen