FX Curl Booster Fixative Gel

I read about this the other day in a post ... I need to try a new gel 'cause HESMU is causing stringy curls, I'm pretty sure.

Is it CG? There's a lot of stuff I've never heard of and/or read anything about ...

Ingredients: Water, PVP K 90, PVP/VA Copolymer, VP/DMAPA Acrylates Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, PVP MA, Mica, DMDM Hydantoin, Aminomethyl Propanol, Fragrance.

What's all that PVP/MA/VA/DMDM/DMAPA stuff?!! I hope it's not horrible ... I only co-wash so please oh please someone tell me this isn't going to cause nasty buildup.

Pictures by me: http://www.alicialanephotography.com/

As an on/off user of this gel for years, it is CG, though it's not clear/no color & I'm not CG to the extent others, even modified CGers are.

All the PVP, VP, Acrylates, Copolymers, etc., are hold agents. You can read about hold agents here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlco...es.php?id=8821

Outside of winter usage, when the air is much drier & you need a styler with more moisture, it's a great gel for clumping & curl forming. It's not drying. It doesn't create a hard cast crunch, more like a pliable one. It doesn't leave flakes behind. It makes your hair shiny, which I guess is from the Mica. Its hold lasts most if not all day.

I hope I'm not forgetting anything. If so, another user can chime in.

You can find it at Rite aid & Walgreen's, both of which have sales on this gel & its sister/brother stylers of buy one get one free.

By the way, it doesn't buildup. I find it rinses from the hair with plain water & with a conditioner rinse.

I hope I'm not forgetting anything. If so, another user can chime in.

Originally Posted by lazy loops

All good things I was hoping to hear Also thanks for the link to the article .. not sure why I'd never read that one, but it was a good read!

Pictures by me: http://www.alicialanephotography.com/

One of my HG gels. I like that it gives me all day hold as well as plenty of body. It does dry crunchy, but like lazy loops said above, it is a soft, pliable crunch and very easily scrunched out. To me, it looks like squeezable butter.
http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

I just got this today after spotting it at Walgreens (had been on the hunt for it for months now, but didn't find it until today!). I can't wait to try it!
2A or 3A, depending on the day...
Always experimenting! Current go-to routine: Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo, Pantene Curls Conditioner, Bumble & Bumble Holding Foam, Aussie Aussome Volume Gel
Originally Posted by jennifermaria
I can't wait to try it tomorrow ... make sure you report tomorrow with how it works for you!!

Pictures by me: http://www.alicialanephotography.com/

As a fair warning, a lot of people find that gels don't work well for them in the colder drier months. They save them for the warmer moister months & use creams/cremes in the fall/winter instead.
Yep, my hair likes leave-in conditioners and/or curl creams in the winter, but I still have to use a gel for hold, but I can get away with a much lighter hold in the cold weather.
http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

It looks like CVS has this on clearance for $4.99. I saw it right after buying it at Walgreens for $5.99 (sigh..) I had to pick up a prescription at CVS and never thought they'd be cheaper on anything than Walgreens.

Sherry

I will try it tomorrow....
Originally Posted by lazy loops
Is this because winter is very dry and the cremes provide more moisture than gels?

I can't imagine how horrid my hair would look without the use of gel ... even when I use too little of a gel I have frizz all over the place.

Pictures by me: http://www.alicialanephotography.com/

The winter is already drying & gels tend to be on the dry side anyhow. This one usually is not. And gels seem to make for stringier curls in the winter for some reason.
Hi guys,

I used it today and I AM A BELIEVER!

I had a very good hair day today. Granted, today wasn't as humid has it has been over the past week and a half that it's been raining so I will have to test it again when the rain comes back, but so far so good!

I didn't have any crunch whatsoever, and I ended up with really nice, soft, shiny curls. Just the way I like 'em .

I did my regular routine: water wash, Biolage conditioning balm as a conditioner, raked Curl Keeper to soaking wet hair, followed by pink boots, then scrunched in FX, then scrunched with a towel to get my hair all clumpy again. I put in some more FX after that, then plopped for about 10 min and air dried.

Voila, nice hair .

Love it! I think this may earn a place on my HG list, except it was a pain in the you-know-what to find.

Jennifer
2A or 3A, depending on the day...

Jennifer
Originally Posted by jennifermaria
It sure is since Wal-Mart stopped selling it! But look at it this way, they sold it for approximately $4.25 - $4.50 a bottle. If you have or can find a Rite Aid or Walgreen's, they have sales on this I'm guessing, 3 times a year, maybe more, at buy one for $5.99 & get one free! And Wal-Mart's prices can't be beat? Yeah right.
Is this the same as the FX Curling Gel? I just picked this up today at Big lots for 1.80 to try out. It looks CG, too.
My little curly cutie:

I actually bought the wrong type f/x gel (curl activator) and it worked very well! I went back and bought the Booster Fixative Gel, and will try it tomorrow.

Hmm...I'm not sure about the type that is at Big Lots-the one I bought by mistake has a very similar bottle/label as the Booster Fixative gel.

I'll have to check Big Lots..

Sherry
There are similar-looking & titled stylers, so check the ingredients!

You don't want one that has anything other than the ingredients listed below, which I hope is correct because I don't have a bottle of this to compare such to.

here are the ingredients on mine:
purified water, pvp va copolymer, glycerin, sorbitol, vit. A, vit. E, vit. b5, panthenol, keratin protein, chamomile extract, silk protein, polysorbate-20, triethanolamine, carbomer, disodium edta, fragrance, methylparaben, methylchioroisothiazolinone, and methlisothiazolinone & benzophenone

Whew! My fingers hurt now!
My little curly cutie:

The one I, MsGiblet & other Fx followers have bought & used in the past doesn't contain proteins or extracts of any kind. It also doesn't contain any of the vitamins, nor glycerin, if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm going to do some searching on the site & report back with my findings.

ETA: Nope, that's not the one I used. The one I used until this past fall, for the past couple/few () years, according to the previous posts of mine that didn't get purged when the new board software was installed, only contains
Water , PVP K 90 , PVP/VA Copolymer , VP/DMAPA Acrylates Copolymer , Propylene Glycol , PVP MA , Mica , DMDM Hydantoin , Aminomethyl Propanol , Fragrance , FD&C Yellow No. 5 May Contain , FD&C Red No. 40 , FD&C Blue No. 1
That's all & nothing more/less.

Last edited by lazy loops; 01-15-2008 at 07:46 PM.
hmm, I need to check the no no lists and see if anything is on there that is in this one. But, I'm going to try it and report back.
My little curly cutie:

Do you have or can you find a picture of the one you've been using?