-   -   365 Everyday Value Herbal Mint Conditioner? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/38392-365-everyday-value-herbal-mint-conditioner.html)

Riot Crrl 02-12-2008 06:18 PM

365 Everyday Value Herbal Mint Conditioner?

Sorry if this has been posted about before. I tried searching the forum but the search engine ignores words of three characters such as "365," and searching for "everyday value" or "herbal mint" or "whole foods" wasn't terribly helpful.

So 365 Everyday Value is the generic/store brand of Whole Foods. These items tend to actually be pretty reasonably priced, as opposed to everything else in the store.

I found the Herbal Mint conditioner on sale today during my lunch break for $3.29 for 16 oz. I haven't tried it for real yet, but I squirted out a little bit and stuck it in my hair. It seems thinner than I am used to (*cough* evil Pantene) but it did seem to go on pretty slick. Smells nice and minty!

Anyone with an opinion on this conditioner?

The ingredients are: water, ceteraryl alcohol, PEG-40 castor oil, stearalkonium chloride, glyceryl stearate, benzyl alcohol, glycerin, dehydroacetic acid, sodium citrate, panthenol, chamomile extract, tocopherol, aloe barbadensis, lavender, thyme, rosemary, peppermint, spearmint.

The labelling makes a big deal about not having any "parabens," whatever those are.

shellynot 02-12-2008 06:30 PM

was this in with all the other hair products at whole foods? i don't think i've ever seen that brand at mine.the ingredients look good.

and parabens are preservatives that some people believe cause cancer...not sure if i believe that or not, but lots of organic companies pride themselves in not having them because its one less chemical.

Riot Crrl 02-13-2008 10:25 AM

Yes, it's on the same aisle as the other hair products. It's the Whole Foods generic label, so if you look around the store you should find toilet paper, spaghetti sauce, soy milk, etc. also of the 365 Everyday Value label. It comes in a bunch of flavors, including unscented.

I tried it this morning. I don't know if it's heavy enough for me to use as a conditioner. But with the lightness and the nice invigorating mint, it's like the perfect cleanser.

Thanks for eyeballing the ingredients. I'm getting a little better at them as time goes by, but I still can never remember things like which alcohols are bad.

spacedcowgirl 02-25-2008 01:34 PM

I agree with the previous poster, I don't think this would have enough slip or be moisturizing enough to use as a regular conditioner, but I really like it as a co-wash. And the price is even lower in my area--$1.99 for 16 oz.--so they may have reduced their prices. Thumbs up as a co-wash in my book.

myCelia 03-03-2008 02:33 PM

Hi Riot Crrl,

I'm a 3-day old CG and I just CO-washed and conditioned with 365 mint conditioner today. The first time I CO-washed was Saturday (w/Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze conditioner). I just spritzed and scrunched on Sunday. All in all, not too bad an experience and I'm surprised that I had any wave at all!

When I washed with the mint today though, my waves were disappointingly droopy. The smell was definitely refreshing and it was a much lighter conditioner than Suave's so I was really surprised how much droopier my waves were today.

I saw another thread on ingredients that don't agree with folks' hair and the two ingredients that are in the mint and not in the Suave are panthenol and glycerine.

My hair today looks a bit more greasy around the crown but doesn't feel that way (glycerine may be the culprit?) and it seems any time I ever use something with panthenol, it just doesn't work well for me. BTW, I think I'm mostly a 2A with some 3A tendencies around temples and I have mild frizzy halo around most of the canopy.

I should also note what else I did differently. Saturday I also rinsed with ACV and used Garnier's curl shaping gel. Today, no ACV and played the mad scientist with a homemade flax seed hair gel (w/about a tbsp. of FOTE aloe gel). Maybe I should try it without the aloe next time. So, anyway, this may have also contributed to the droop. Or, I'm just still adjusting and need to be patient.

myCelia :)

Riot Crrl 03-03-2008 03:12 PM

Why hello there.

Maybe the 365 is too conditioning for you for this purpose. I don't think that slip or thickness is necessarily an indicator of how much moisture is being imparted to the hair. Glycerin and panthenol are moisture stuff.

It could also be adjustment.

But if you are mostly a 2, CG does say shampoo once in a while, just find some gentler stuff to use.

My own hair slurps up moisture and bangs its fork on the table for more, but I do have a lot of color treatment porosity. If you're a 2 with decently healthy hair, this product may be too moisturizing to co-wash with. And/or, you may want to use a non-sulfate shampoo every once in a while as per CG.

freshwaterpearl 11-06-2008 09:14 PM

Thanks Riot Crrl eventhough the post was from months ago. I went to whole foods picked up the fragrance free conditioner and can I say WOOOOOOOW! Amazing! I use it as a co-wash. Then I apply it as a leave in with a small amount of kbb and my hair is sooooo shiny and soft. The best part about it is the price ranges from 1.99 or 3.99 depending on the size you are getting. This is my holy grail leave in and my dt is earthly delight recommended by saris. All I need is good shampoo any ideas? Once again thanks:blob7: