Anyone use Jonathan Silky Dirt or Redken Ringlet 07 Curl Perfector?

If you've used either Jonathan Silky Dirt Shine & Define and Redken Ringlet 07 Curl Perfector cremes, let me know how you like(d) them.

In trying to find some curl cremes to use, I stumbled upon the above. They seem like something I would like to try, but I'm interested to know how others here like them.

TIA for your comments! :-D
Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

PW: flower
I've used Ringlet and loved it. It's the only curl cream I've ever bought a second time. Gave it to my daughter for Christmas and she loves it too. It's a little pricey, about $13.00 in my area, but I find I don't need to use as much as they suggest so it lasts about 7 weeks or so.
Originally Posted by rnconniesf
Thanks rnconniesf. I'm curious about it which is why I'll be getting a sample from Sephora before I make a full purchase.
Jada1111

PW: flower
Give it a try! I forgot to mention that I don't use it every day, just when I wash my hair (2-3 times a week or so). On my non-wash days I just refresh my curls by scrunching in some tap water and air drying. I have found that there is enough residual curl control that I don't have to reapply.
I was writing a big reply about the Dirt, but then I realized it is only the Texturizing Paste that I have seen, not the Shine & Define, so I dunno.
I have a sample size of the ringlet 07 but haven't tried it yet. I'm glad to read that someone liked it.
Any tips in application?
That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.

3a/3b
Tried the Ringlet 07 today and my hair looks nice. It has dimethicone in it, so I will not be able to use it everyday...but for once in a while styling, I will use it.
I'm not sure that it's any better than other curl creams I've tried, but it isn't worse either. My hair seems shinier with it and a little more cooperative. When my hair was still damp, I played with it...which is usually a no-no...I just wanted to restyle one of my clumps of curls...and because I had this curl cream in it (or I'm assuming this was the cause), my hair was able to cooperate, curl better, and not frizz up.
My hair is still a little damp from this morning (I airdry), so if my results change later in the day, I will keep you posted.

3a/3b
Never did keep you posted. I ended up loving this curl cream. My hair looked shiny and almost frizz free (which is a challenge as my hair is usually ultra frizzy). Even after work, I finger combed my hair, and it didn't add frizz. My hair looked good all day. It is better than other curl creams I've tried, so I stand corrected. However, due to the dimethicone, it will not be something I will use for two consecutive days. It will be part of my rotation. I plan on using it Saturday when I go out!!!

3a/3b
I know you have chosen the Ringlet 07 but I wanted to add a product review for Jonathan Silky Dirt Shine & Define creme. It has a lovely smell as it contains shea butter and it is really moisturing. I found for my afro curls which needed more of a hold that it was more of a creme that you can put on second day hair to smooth out the frizzes. It's a lovely product and I recommended it for that use only.
Jonathan Silky Dirt, as I recall, was loaded with 'cones and therefore not for me.

I was fooled because my roommate had some on the counter and so I took a look at the ingredients and didn't see anything objectionable. I then tried it out on one strand and really liked what it did [boing! springy curl] so I went and bought some.

Turns out there's a huge list of ingredients on the box, in addition to the ones on the tube. The so-called "active ingredients" are the ones on the tube, and they are all nice and natural sounding. I missed that. So my roommate got a 2nd tube, gratis.

ETA, from Sephora.com:

"Active" Ingredients
-Cucumber/Rose Essential Water: Nourishes the hair.
-Sunflower Phyto-Ceramide: Restructures and protects hair cuticles.
-Soothing Shine Blend: Helps tame frizz, control fly aways, and provides thermal protection.
-Grapefruit Extract: Adds brilliance, body, and enhances shine.
-Pomegranate extract: A potent antioxidant that conditions and helps maintain healthy looking hair.
-Exotic Butters: Shea and wild mango condition and soften.
- Sweet Almond & Soy Protein: Improve the manageability and appearance of damaged hair.
Natural Botanical Extracts: Nourish and revitalize the hair.
-UV Filters: Shield the hair from damage and color fading.
The Ingredients Ingredients, a k a, the real ingredients
-Water (Aqua), Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetearyl Alcohol, Vegetable Oil (Olus), Propylene Glycol, Tribehenin, Ceteareth-25, PEG-35 Castor Oil, Cyclohexasiloxane, VP/VA Copolymer, Tridecyl Stearate, Alcohol Denat., Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Fragrance (Parfum), Dipentaerythrityl Hexacaprylate/Hexacaprate, Synthetic Beeswax, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Polyglyceryl-2 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Dimethiconol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Sweet Almond Protein, Glycerin, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Irvingia Gabonensis Kernel Butter, Octyldodecanol, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Water, Rosa Centifolia Flower Water, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Fruit Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Extract, Gardenia Tahitensis (Tahitian Gardenia) Flower Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Ocimum Basilicum (Basil) Extract, Glyceryl Oleate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (Candelilla Cera), Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Triethanolamine, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Tetrasodium EDTA, Benzophenone-3, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Alcohol, Limonene.

Of course, if someone's not avoiding 'cones, this is no biggie. I just wanted to give fair warning to anyone who might be duped, as I was.

Last edited by wild~hair; 06-06-2008 at 07:06 PM.
ooh, it has those evil -xanes. I use sulfates and cones and I still want touch the -xane cones with a ten foot pole.

3a/3b
The Texturizing Paste had cones too, but it was mostly wax. It seemed like a less moisturizing lip balm. The big post I was composing about it had opinions to the effect of "I don't get what to do with it on curly hair. I think it is designed for making 'pieciness' on straight hair."

But... the OP did not ask about the Texturizing Paste so I fail.
Redken's Ringlet used to be one of my favourite products. When I stopped using silicones, I my bottle away. I wasn't able to find an ingredient list for this product anywhere. I suspect that the silicones were up near the top of the ingredient list. I remember looking at it before giving it away to see if I could get away with using it the odd time. I still gave it away ... so I suspect that silicone is a prominent ingredient.

If silicones aren't an issue for you, it is a great product. I used it almost all last summer. What I discovered once I stopped using it, was that my hair seemed to look horrible for a number of days afterwards. I didn't know it at the time, but I suspect that the cones were too much.