-   -   SheaM as curl creme -- ?a summer miracle or PJ disappointment? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/48051-sheam-curl-creme-summer-miracle-pj-disappointment.html)

pigreyhound 06-14-2008 04:48 AM

SheaM as curl creme -- ?a summer miracle or PJ disappointment?

So being a PJ, I typically use three or four products on my hair in a given day. Leave-in, curl cream, gel, scrunching potion, pomade on humid days.

So last night I read a post about using SheaM as a curl cream and then gel. I was going to shower late in the day so thought I would try it....but figured it wouldn't give me enough curl definition or hold.
But by the time I finished plopping and diffused a bit, it looked really good! Curly and frizz free. Figured once I slept on it, it would deflate and get stringy without the other products.

But I have decent second day hair???!!! What the heck?
I am a bit conflicted about this. On the one hand, I can get away with just a leave-in and gel. I was sure most of my curl was because of products, not because my hair was actually that curly -- my curl cremes etc were like the WonderBra; necessary to the illusion -- so I am amazed at how much curl I have.
On the other hand, my inner PJ is distressed at the idea of needing only a leave-in and gel. I have a treasure trove of products under my sink. It's like a hair adventure every morning -- the experimentation, the scrunching and diffusing dance, praying to the hair gods for consistent, lasting curls -- you never know what's going to happen.

And all along, all I needed was SheaM and gel. I am not sure how to feel about this.

Magoo 06-14-2008 05:13 AM

I also pulled out my SheaM and have re-visited it after not getting such great results a few months ago. I've been getting really great results the past 2 days with SheaM and some gel or mousse layered over it. Of course, it's been hot but not very humid those days. The humidity is supposed to go back up today so we'll see how it holds up.
I know part of the fun is the experimenting but it is kind of nice to only have to use 2 styling products.

msgiblet 06-14-2008 06:50 AM

How much SheaM are you guys using? I decided to try it yesterday underneath Joiwhip. Since I tend to get weighed down easily and also tend not to have much luck with leave-ins, I only used a teeny bit -- it was just enough for a very thin layer covering my palms. I had very full, nice curls, although they were a little bit undefined, but my hair felt like straw -- it really felt awful. I'm sure this was from the Joiwhip and it's been a while since I've used this mousse, but I don't remember it feeling this dry. I'm wondering if it's just not a good mousse to use in the summer or do I need a lot more SheaM? Or does the SheaM make anyone else's hair feel dry?

Magoo 06-14-2008 08:47 AM

I use about a pea size amount or slightly less. I apply it while I'm still in the shower to soaking wet hair and then rake and scrunch it in. I let it sit for a minute or so to "soak" in and then apply my other products. My hair is very hit or miss when it comes to leave ins but I've been getting nice shine and great ringlets with this. I even had the lady at the deli counter yesterday ask me if I had a spiral perm. She couldn't believe my hair curls like this all by itself:iconbiggrin:.
I haven't noticed any dryness yet but I've only been using it 2 days. My hair can suddenly freak out after a few days of good results so we'll see.
My hair can also be weird about pathenol which the SheaM has so I'll keep an eye out for that.

msgiblet 06-14-2008 09:05 AM

Thanks, Magoo. That's about how much I used, but I didn't do it in soaking wet hair. I'm sure it was the Joiwhip that caused the major dryness. I'm not protein sensitive, but that stuff is so loaded, I guess it doesn't matter if you're sensitive or not. Or maybe I need to use a lot more leave-in or cream than I did.

Kitara 06-14-2008 09:23 AM

I use about 2 peas, one right side up and one upside down.

My hair can suddenly freak out after a few days of good results so we'll see.
Yeah, I think I'm in this freak out stage. *sigh* After a lot of good hair days in a row my hair said, "Muahahaha back to square one for you missy!" and turned into crap again.

Suburbanbushbabe 06-14-2008 09:27 AM

My hair can take ribbons of SM but I have to make sure it's well distributed. Mixing it with AV or a water leavein like Aveda Color Conserve helps. I'm going to try mixing it with Carol's Daughters Black Vanilla leave-in.

msgiblet 06-14-2008 09:36 AM

Has anybody used this to scrunch out crunch with good results? My hair is still drying right now and I'm thinking about trying it, but it's looking like I might actually have a good hair day, so I don't want to mess it up if this is a bad idea.

Suburbanbushbabe 06-14-2008 09:40 AM

I would not use this on my dry hair -- too coaty.

msgiblet 06-14-2008 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe (Post 612000)
I would not use this on my dry hair -- too coaty.

Ok, good to know. Thanks!

pigreyhound 06-14-2008 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by msgiblet (Post 611877)

Since it was the only thing I was putting in my hair under the gel, I put in about a quarter sized dollop, maybe a bit less. Usually I just put about a dime sized dollop in.
My hair loves shea butter in any form. I actually scrunched out the bit of crunch I had with a tiny bit of shea butter.

I can't use mousse, my hair hates it.

misspam 06-16-2008 04:49 PM

May I climb on the SheaM boat too, please? LOL I've only been using this for a little over a week now, but I am very thrilled with the results. I use about a dime to a nickel size dollop on dripping wet hair, scrunch, plop, diffuse. I do not use any other product and my hair is shiny, soft and frizz free. Wonderful stuff! :occasion9:

Magoo 06-16-2008 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by misspam (Post 614117)

Lucky you! I wish I could get away with just using SheaM on this incredibly thick head of hair I have. What is your curl type like?

misspam 06-16-2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Magoo (Post 614193)

Originally Posted by misspam (Post 614117)

I believe my hair is 2c/3a, medium thickness, tends to feel dry. My hair is shoulder length layers. My hair seems to drink in the sheaM and I detest a strong, crispy holding gel, so the soft hold suits me fine.

btw - You have beautiful, amazingly shiny hair! Judging by hour avatar, your hair is thicker than mine and definitely longer. Just beautiful.:)

Magoo 06-16-2008 06:31 PM

Thanks for the response!
And thanks for the compliment!:toothy7:

misspam 06-16-2008 06:39 PM

You're quite welcome! :)

empressri 06-17-2008 11:58 AM

still loving my sheamoisture!! i let my three year old nephew "help" me with my hair, he added too much gel and it was sort of hard, but two days later my hair softened up and it beautiful!! i ordered three more bottles of sheam to keep in the house.

do you know, saturday i drove to TWO targets and two beauty supply stores and no one had it?? the bss had the shea butter and the black soap but not my beloved leave-in. i was disgruntled to say the least.

Magoo 06-17-2008 12:11 PM

OK, hair freak out alert. I knew this wouldn't last. After using this for the past few days, my hair is feeling dry and rough to the touch like you described MsG. My ends look a bit dry too.
I don't know if it's the pathenol since my hair seems to react badly to that ingredient. Or maybe it's the jojoba oil. I just figured out through another thread that jojoba oil is another culprit that gives me dry hair.
I'm annoyed cause this was really giving me nice shiny ringlets. :sad8:

msgiblet 06-17-2008 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Magoo (Post 614892)
I'm annoyed cause this was really giving me nice shiny ringlets. :sad8:

Oh, that's too bad that it's not working anymore. Unfortunately, I don't know if it was the SheaM or the Joiwhip. My hair doesn't like jojoba oil either, but the Joiwhip has so much protein in it, it could have been that, too -- or a combo. Whatever it is, I'm leaving the SheaM alone until it gets cold again -- too much for me in the summer.

curlygirlyme 06-17-2008 01:08 PM

Wow I guess I use a lot more than most...

I mix SM with another light conditioner to thin it out, but I use between 4 and 5 nickle sized