All Aubrey Organics Conditioners

i still haven't used my white camellia. my friend gave me her gpb and then she took it back lmao ole indian giver lolol. so if the hubby and i run by home depot today, there's a gnc next door which i believe carries aubrey's, so you KNOW im going to find my way to stroll into there and peek to see if they have it! hehe!

[/B]
yep, the GPB is the one and only product that i have always used since i went natural. i've flip-flopped with a lot of other products, but i love me some GPB! they'll probably bury me clutching a king-sized bottle of it!

Almost forgot: Thank you sunshower for your review. My instinct is to stay w/ the GPB and you totally validated it. If it's worked for you for 10 years that's plenty proof for me. It must have strengthened your hair for it too be that long!

wellll...i am a 3c/4a, so let's get that out of the way first. very long, very thick, and very dry.

i have used and loved AO shampoos and conditioners for years. they changed their formulas on most of them a couple years ago, and IMO some have gotten better and some have gotten worse. my absolute favorite conditioner is the GPB. it is the one conditioner i have used consistently ever since i started growing out my relaxer. i've been using it for nearly 10 years with great results. it is a protein-rich conditioner, so beware of that if you're sensitive to protein. my hair likes protein, so it makes my hair strands super-strong and resilient. i use it with heat as a DT at least once a month.

my other two staples are the Honeysuckle Rose and the Swimmers conditioners. to me, the Swimmers is very similar to the old Jojoba and Aloe formula, which used to be my absolute favorite back in the day. on the website, they say it's the vegan alternative to the GPB. i just started using it a few months ago, and i am in love! it makes my hair soooo soft and silky when i use it, just like the old J&A used to. and i am not a swimmer, btw.

i have tried the White Camellia, and i did not like it at all. it was nowhere near as moisturizing as the HR, and the smell was disgusting. even if i did like the conditioner, i would never use it just because of the smell. blech!

i like the Island Naturals, but i have stopped using it since i started using the Swimmers. my hair actually felt softer with the HR than with the IN, but it's still a good conditioner. the scent isn't my favorite, but i can tolerate it.
Originally Posted by sunshower
Originally Posted by amaralice
--Tiffany--
*Reformed PJ*
3c/4a - coarse and super thick, APL when curly, somewhere around WL when stretched
http://public.fotki.com/hokukoroku/ - i never update. shame on me

Last Relaxer - January 30, 1999
BC - March 21, 2000

Currently using: AO HSR & GPB conditioners, Vatika Oil, SheaMoisture, homemade African Black Soap shampoo & hair lotion.
Another naysay-er here! I'm envious that you all get great results. Grrr.

I've tried AOHR & ended up with some kind of protein attack after a few days. Took a week of DTs to fix. Plus the smell is so overpowering I gag in the shower.

Tried Island Naturals once & the smell is spiced beer to me. Not good, even in a frat house. Did nothing special so I never tried again.
They're up on the swap board if anyone wants 'em!
Originally Posted by tinabcurly
I had a similar experience with the AOHR. I was able to use it a couple of times with good results, even though my hair did feel a bit overconditioned. Then I decided to do an overnight DT with it and my hair freaked. It was dried and frizzy. For me, I think it's the jojoba oil that my hair doesn't like. My hair responds similarly to other products with jojoba in them.
I've been wanting to try the AOWC since I don't think that one has jojoba.
3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
For the last month I've been trying to figure out how to get AOHR to work for me again. It was amazing at the end of winter, but it's not the panacea I thought it might be. Hence this thread, actually.

But! I can still sorta see AOHR working its magic, under the strange poufy-ness I've been having. So I'm trying to cleanse better and layer it with other products. Will report back ...

Keep 'em coming ladies!
Originally Posted by wild~hair
I love AOHR, but do alternate between it and KCKT (which detangles better). I use AOHR more often - 4-5 times a week and the KCKT 2-3.

Have you done a DT lately? That always helps my curls get back on track
2b/3a.
i have used a few ao conditioners and have liked most of them.
i started out with aohr and loved it, realized it gave me too much moisture, but found it works well as a backup dt when i can tell my hair is dry and needy (and i don't have time to condition for an hour...love the jessicurl homemade dt by the way).
i've also tried the white camillia, all i can say is "eh". the smell isn't that great and it doesn't condition any better than anything else i've tried.
i have to say though, that i love the island naturals. i find it's the perfect consistency for co-washing and daily conditioning...i know i like it because i've bought it more than twice. as for the scent, i like that too. it could be because i'm a crazy foodie and it's a pretty common scent to me...allspice. this is also the cause for the grainy texture which i'm also a fan of. i think i just love the whole sensory experience of using this conditioner (if that doesn't sound too "hippie")!!
muahahaaaaa! coming from home depot i made the honey come with me to vitamin shoppe, gnc didn't have my goods. freaking FIFTEEN DOLLARS for that darned rose mosqueta, and his eyes got big and he was like why is that, cause of the stuff they get from the rose? i was like yeaaaaaah lol he is so knowledgeable lol.

got my gpb too! so now im good with aubrey's.

[/B]

got my gpb too! so now im good with aubrey's.
Originally Posted by empressri
That's hysterical.

Have you done a DT lately? That always helps my curls get back on track
Originally Posted by CurlyinColorado
Good point, I haven't actually. In the summer I do these so much less frequently.

But I have to say, I feel like with AO, my hair never needs a DT, it's so moisturized and whatnot. If anything, it's overconditioned, you know?

So ... last night at the co-op I spied some GPB. I was feeling generous toward myself — birthday month! — so I went ahead and got it with minimal hesitation. Nevermind that I have full bottles of both Island Naturals and AOHR at home.

I tried it last night. I didn't have my usual styling products, as I've run out of Jessicurl [and just took advantage of their $5 shipping to stock up]. But I just went for it. Cleansed with Rosa Mosqueta, conditioned with GBP, ACV rinse, then GBP as a leave-in, with Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee over top. Which was a real gamble, because that stuff never works for me. I only keep it around for up-dos.

First of all, GPB feels like 'buttah' in my hair. On the rinse-out, it was so unbelievably silky and luscious. Oh, but it does smell like old lady perfume — you knew it had to reek, right? — so it wasn't a complete sensory extravaganza.

But how did my hair come out, you ask? I really had zero expectations, I just wanted something to work with for a up-do with my Flex-8, maybe some nice tendrils, that's it.

Well, it's 24 hours later, and my hair is still down. I biked all day, including many helmet removals and re-puttings on, and <<<<<<drumroll>>>>>> I'm having a Good Hair Day!

I really can't quite believe it. I cannot wait to see how this stuff does with CCSS and RR over top.

Thanks to everyone for recommending it. I'll continue with it and update you all on my experiences. Maybe it's my summer Holy Grail, with AOHR being the winter HG?

So far, so good!
@ wild~hair jessicurl had a $5 shipping stock up?? is it still on? im eyeing two of her products..

I've found a new love

And its name is AOHR! This was one I'd been wanting to try for a while.

So yesterday, I put $9.29 of my most recent paycheck toward a bottle at Whole Foods. Then I promptly went home to try it out.

It's a good thing I like the smell of honeysuckle, since the fragrance WAS strong. I was expecting a honeysuckle-rose combined scent, but the rose in this is from rose hip oil.

Today my hair has VERY well-defined curls with shine! And it's not dull or overcoated, which is one of the reasons I don't like cones.

Yes folks, I believe my extremely dry, thirsty curls have found their HG conditioner! ("Shea butter...mmmmmmm....")
Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3B/Corkicelli/Fiii/BSL/light ash brown (colored)/CG since 2008

Likes: V05 Freesia as a co-wash, AOHR, Jessicurl RR & CCSS, banana hair masks, honey
Dislikes: Hairbrushes () and harsh detergents ()
I am jealous of all you women whose hair loves AOHR. That coconut fatty acid base just doesn't agree with me. I hate the smell, it was hard to get out of the bottle and it pretty much sat on my hair. I still love the AO Mandarin Magic jelly though, after more than a year.
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Hmm...I was tempted to try the GPB my last trip to Whole Foods, they had some in Rosemary Mint that was calling my name. Maybe next trip. I just picked up my AOHR (which I love, I store it on it's side to make it easier to dispense). I'm curious about people who feel the smell is strong. I don't really like the smell, it smells like dimetapp to me. I don't find it that strong though.

I did spot the Rose Mosqueta. Why is it in such a small bottle? Do you really need so little? That alone was enough to warn me away.
Originally Posted by empressri
Nah, sorry, it ended last Monday 6/30. She has them every 4 months or so. If you're on her email list, she sends an email out when she does this or any other discounting, so sign up!

Originally Posted by KookyCurl
I'm guessing that was a sample bottle. My RM is the same size as all my other AO bottles. And I have seen AO sample sizes in stores before.

I wanted to correct a mistake in my earlier entry — it wasn't Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee that I used over the GPB, it was Devacurl Angell. I did try the BRHG initially, but I could tell even with my hair sopping wet that it was going to be disappointing, so I quickly added some Angell on top. I get that boingy-ness with Angell which reassures me something good is possible, whereas the BRHG just leaves my wet hair straight and lifeless.

Meanwhile, the good hair continues. I say good not great, because Angell isn't really ideal for me. But I'm on day four right now and still quite pleased with it. When I got in last night after a day of biking [helmet] and then going to an early [7/3] fireworks show and it was really spirally and well defined. I don't usually get SO MANY curls and I had some pretty nice volume too. I was kind of amazed.

And it held up okay today, although a little bit poufy. Considering my activity level today — kids and gardening and outdoors all day in the heat — I'd say it performed really well.

I'll have to report back once I try it with the Jessicurl stuff. I'll also take some pics.

Last edited by wild~hair; 07-04-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Suburbanbushbabe - whats their Mandarin Magic jelly like? Ive been wanting to try it for a while. Is it a gel?
I just ordered some GPB conditioner and the Mandarin Magic gel, will probably take 2 weeks before it gets here.
3B/3C
medium/coarse and porous

wash: KC Come Clean, Flower Peddler Northern Lights soap bar
conditioner: YTT, YTC, KCKT, Shescentit GT&H, Shescentit Avocado, DB Pumpkin Seed, Garnier Ultra Doux, Mop Top daily conditioner
styler: KCCC, HEBE, homemade fsg, DM MCCG, AOMM
dt: banana and avocado mask, nexxus emergencee, Shescentit TT&GH, ayurvedic powders, SS RPT
butters: Jane Carter N&S, Afroveda Curly Custard, Afroveda Cocolatte, Shescentit Gillian, Shescentit Seyani
Originally Posted by kat180
Yes it's a gel, a soft one very close in consistency to Angell, but all natural and aloe based.
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
so i used my white camellia...i dont know what slip some of the ladies were talking about BUT it did make my comb go through my hair like a knife through butter so im happy! now for the gpb and rose mosqueta...

[/B]
I got the AOHSR because everyone rants and raves about it. But after several tries, as a cowash, as a DT, as a regular conditioner, and as a detangler. I HATE IT! I don’t like the smell, its hard for me to detangle, and once my hair dried it was not nearly as soft as I get with other conditioners. I would not repurchase, further more I am considering swapping what I have left.
Originally Posted by mslanee1
I have to take these words back. I revisited the AOHSR and its a great DT with some honey and EVOO added in. I also used it for some twist and it just melted into my hair. So I am going to keep using it and see how much more it grows on me.
CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

you know, i mixed some honey and...coconut oil i think into my AOHSR....it was interesting to say the least. my hair did look and feel nice, NOT as soft as i thought it would feel but it was fine. i left it in overnight with a shower cap. but i also warmed the mixture up a bit in the microwave and i had watered some of it down because i had some left in the bottle and im the type to add water, shake it up and use up the very last bits of it lol.

so maybe that's why. cause i told myself i would just use the AO straight next time. maybe i wont dilute it instead.

Originally Posted by tinabcurly

I've been wanting to try the AOWC since I don't think that one has jojoba.
Originally Posted by Magoo
Just out of curiosity, how did you discover which ingredients were drying to your hair? I just purchased the HSR and used it for deep conditioning w/honey & heat for the first this AM. The results for me were less than stellar; my hair felt underconditioned/strawlike when I rinsed it out, my curls feel drier and have a bit less life in them.

The Jojoba/Aloe and WC drew my attention, but i'm leary of spending more money if i'm not certain how to find the culprits. (Protein, etc.)

For those of you that HSR is not working for, what is the texture of your hair? Perhaps there is a link. *shrug* I have fine 3b/a hair.

Thanks.
I use the Honeysuckle Rose conditioner--I *love* the way it smells and it seems to be just the right amount of conditioning. But I've noticed that if I use it each time, it gets a little *too* soft. I'm on a modified CG so I alternate with DevaChan One and Nexxus Humectress, and I haven't had a problem as long as I rotate!
2C/3A/3B mix