All Aubrey Organics Conditioners

how is everyone using the gpb? do you know i ran to buy it and STILL haven't used it??
Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

[/B]
Originally Posted by empressri
I use it once or twice a week. It gives my hair a nice "bounce."
Loose botticelli curls and waves
No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
I really love it as a light condish for summertime.

For a leave in, it works okay, but I'm learning that AOHR and AOHR alone gives me the major boingy curls that I love. So I'm using the GPB for conditioning, and AOHR as a leave-in. Come winter, I'll be back to using AOHR for both.

I would like to thank CurlyinColorado for suggesting I do a DT. I finally did a K-Pak treatment about a week ago and it totally helped! I guess all that shampooing made me need the protein boost. That and I probably have some ongoing damage from the pintura highlights I get from time to time.

I've settled with shampooing 2x a month with AO Rose Mosqueta Shampoo to avoid buildup from the AOHR and possibly the GPB. Then I do a K-Pak treatment 1x a month to offset the effects of the shampooing.

It's all worth it to be able to use Aubrey.

I'm really glad I already know my winter routine. Because I just figured out summer and summer's almost over! This has been a tough year for figuring stuff out [Minnesota's a new climate to me as a curly girl], but I've got it down now.
I have now tried Island Naturals and White Camelia, as well as Honeysuckle Rose, and I just love them all. My hair really responds well to them. AOHR is still the most "potent" -- the one to use after a protein or cassia treatment, for instance, but the other two are really wonderful. I will definitely repurchase (after I use up the 8 bottles of other conditioner I also own).

I especially like the spicy smell of AOIN.... These folks sure know their conditioners.
3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
Twitter: nopoojillipoo
I thought I posted in this thread, but I guess it was in another.

I *think* the only Aubrey shampoo & conditioner I've used is the Island Naturals. The shampoo was as bad as any full-sulfate non-moisturizing grease-removing dish soap type of shampoo. The conditioner left a waxy build up on my hair after only a few uses. I liked the spicy scent. I didn't much care for the grainy texture of it though. I *think* I also had to shake the bottle to redistribute the oils before using.

I then tried a deep treatment; Blue-Green Algae. The only thing I remember about it is the scent. It was enough to make me gag.

Therefore, I'm quite a bit hesitant about trying anything else from Aubrey Organics.
It was enough to make me gag.

Originally Posted by lazy loops
Yep, the scents are mostly gag-arrific!
I use it as a DT (mixed w/ EVOO, EO and Rhassoul mud ) and I don't rinse it all out. Works great everytime!

Originally Posted by empressri
Lakshmi's Cupboard

If I use it, I sell it!

4A. Hair goal chin level while curly - achieved Oct 2010!
Next Goal: Shoulder length - Achieved Summer 2012!
New Goal: Bra Strap Level
Routine
DT: Amla Silk Deep Therapy Restorative Masque , rhassoul clay
Leave-in: Amla Lavender Chamomile Leave-In Hair Cream,, Amla and Honey Detangling Conditioner, Bhaasvataa Oil

Has anyone tried the Blue Green Algae Hair Rescue Conditioning Mask? I'm itching to try it, but I don't want to get it if it doesn't do anything special.

wellll...i am a 3c/4a, so let's get that out of the way first. very long, very thick, and very dry.

i have used and loved AO shampoos and conditioners for years. they changed their formulas on most of them a couple years ago, and IMO some have gotten better and some have gotten worse. my absolute favorite conditioner is the GPB. it is the one conditioner i have used consistently ever since i started growing out my relaxer. i've been using it for nearly 10 years with great results. it is a protein-rich conditioner, so beware of that if you're sensitive to protein. my hair likes protein, so it makes my hair strands super-strong and resilient. i use it with heat as a DT at least once a month.

my other two staples are the Honeysuckle Rose and the Swimmers conditioners. to me, the Swimmers is very similar to the old Jojoba and Aloe formula, which used to be my absolute favorite back in the day. on the website, they say it's the vegan alternative to the GPB. i just started using it a few months ago, and i am in love! it makes my hair soooo soft and silky when i use it, just like the old J&A used to. and i am not a swimmer, btw.

i have tried the White Camellia, and i did not like it at all. it was nowhere near as moisturizing as the HR, and the smell was disgusting. even if i did like the conditioner, i would never use it just because of the smell. blech!

i like the Island Naturals, but i have stopped using it since i started using the Swimmers. my hair actually felt softer with the HR than with the IN, but it's still a good conditioner. the scent isn't my favorite, but i can tolerate it.
Originally Posted by sunshower

after reading this review i wanted to give AO a try since i had been eyeing it but it wasn't in my budget until recently...i have been minimalizing my shampoo use and even switched to an ayurvedic shampoo bar due to dryness. it seemed as though my condish was drying my hair out even more than the shampoo bar at times.

i bought AO swimmer's condish a few days ago and within seconds i felt softer and more moisturized hair. now i just cut off most of my relaxer but there is still 2 or so inches of "scab hair" it's just rough and broken but i don't want to cut it until my hair gets longer (short hair and me don't get along). i was almost going to cut it until i tried this condish...they say it takes a good 2-4 weeks before you notice a difference in your hair but i noticed it right away. when i'm done with this condish i may try the honeysuckle rose but for now i'm so happy with this one that i don't want to push my luck on another haha.

thanks for the great info!!! this thread helped me eliminate my frustrations of dry hair! =D
Interesting that this thread got bumped today. I just got my latest bottle of AOHR this afternoon.

I'm starting to get it down to a routine with this stuff, and I seem to be able to use it year-round now.

I don't really use the other AO conditioners now, only AOHR gives me that bouncy curly stuff happening. But if I don't watch out for build-up and if I don't keep the protein coming, then all bets are off.

So it's definitely a holy grail, but not in isolation. It's more a trifecta of holy grails: AOHR, K-Pak and a low-poo type shampoo to keep build-up at bay.
It's such an odd sensation to see posts I made almost two years ago.

I still love GPB and use it a couple times a week. It is one of the few products I have never given up. I also use AOHR once or twice a week, but it's sort of hit or miss. Sometimes I get thick, chunky curls and other times, blah.

I alternate my AO conditioners with KCKT every other day, and that's my conditioning routine.
Loose botticelli curls and waves
No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
I just started using the GPB last month and I love it my hair soaks it up. I acutally like the smell too. The HRS is a great DT aslo.
3c, fine, porous,MBL
Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
I'm wondering if anyone has tried AO cream rinses for co-washing. If so, what did you think?
Black African Hair
There's only one like it in the world!

Preshampoo - Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm
Shampoo - KC Come Clean
Condition - Joico Moisture Recovery
Leave In - KCKT, Kiehl's Formula 133
Seal - Jojoba Oil
Moisturize - Rosewater
I AO HSR Conditioner! I have been using it since late August. I used to mix up natural DCs but AO HSR has all my mixes beat. It makes my hair feel sooo soft and fluffy. It smells awesome too. I'm in love. Haha
Big Chop: 12/15/08

Detangle: Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner

Cleanse: SM Deep Cleansing Shampoo
Leave-In Condition: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner
Moisturize: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Oils/Butters: Parachute Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, Njoi Creations Ayurvedic Hair Butter;
Gels Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~

Last edited by Fronomenal; 10-26-2010 at 06:21 AM.
I've tried the Island Naturals and the GPB.

The Island Naturals did nothing for my hair.

The GPB, I used this past weekend. Used it as a pre-poo along with Hairveda Vatika Frosting. My hair felt really soft afterwards.
Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
BC: 01/30/09
Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
I love the HR condish. Its my primary condish. I will use Burts Bees Raspberry and Brazil Nut once in a while when I feel i need protein, but otherwise its AOHR. I've been using it for about a year. I've experiemented with trying other condishes - Nature's Gate, too thin, Trader Joe's Nourish, not rich enough, CJ, a few of them, samples, great but waaaay too expensive - but keep coming back to AOHR. It's my fave. I get nice soft hair almost every time.
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
So I know this is old, but, I just had to tell somebody about the Swimmer's conditioner I used last night it was AMAZING! My hair is soft, strong, shiney, defined and just healthy. I thought I loved Island Naturals, but it's nothing compared to this. BTW, my hair hates AOHR for those who love it, this may not be the one for you.
Lately, I've been using a mix of AO HSR, EVOO and honey as a leave-in. This mix leaves my braid-outs well-moisturized and defined.
Big Chop: 12/15/08

Detangle: Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner

Cleanse: SM Deep Cleansing Shampoo
Leave-In Condition: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner
Moisturize: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Gels Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~
Just wanted to give some much need praise to this brand. I absolutely love their products.

I use the White Camellia and GPB conditioner. And my hair just adores it. I use the White Camellia as my regular conditioner and a deep conditioner 1-2 a week. Makes combing my hair sooo easy! And my hair always comes out smooth and hydrated. When I deep condition, i add Avocado Oil and Sweet Almond Oil to it, throw on a plastic cap, and sit under the hair dryer for about 30 minutes. My hair always comes out extremely soft.

Recently I just picked up the GPB conditioner and have been using it once a month to "awaken" my curls. They always are soft and bouncy after i use this conditioner.

Aubrey Organics I <3 You!!
Texturizer
Co-wash: Desert Essence Jojoba Body Boosting/CJDF
Conditioner: Aubrey Organics White Camellia
DT: Aubrey Organics GPB
Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Styler: Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Oils: Grapeseed, Apricot Kernel, Avocado, Coconut
Ok, I SO wanted to love this! But.....I don't. The first time I used it I think I liked it because of the newness of it...but really, it did absolutely nothing for my hair. I've had it for six months now in my shower and use it now just to get rid of it. My hair is thin, ringlet type (bonticelli?), and I color, so I really needed something quenching, but I feel like this is the same as water. Disappointing.
Fine/3a-c hair, CG since 2006
C/O wash: Suave Waterlily Aloe, As I am Coconut Co-wash
Stylers: Kinky Curly Custard Cream, Kinky Curly Knot Today Detangler,Herbal Essence Set me Free Gel, Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
HG: Neutral protein filler
DT: Coconut Oil, Argan Oil
Special Considerations: I frequently color because I have almost 50% grey, I use a semi-permanent to reduce damage