-   -   Tweek-anyone? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/52275-tweek-anyone.html)

Snarls 08-01-2008 10:33 AM

Tweek-anyone?

Anyone tried Tweek from Curly Hair Solutions?

I'm tempted, but holding back because I have a skin allergy to benzophene-4 (an ingredient used as a sun screen and preservative).

It looks really interesting!

CalamityM 08-01-2008 11:19 AM

Hey! I was just at Jonathan's salon the other day, and he gave me a free sample of this stuff. I wasn't sure how much to use, so I tried a teeny tiny amount yesterday. I don't think I used enough to make a big impact. I used a bit on a frizzy peice of hair that was sticking out of my canopy. It helped it stick together a bit more, but nothing miraculous. I honestly don't think I used enough to give the product any kind of fair trial. I'll play around with my sample over the next few days, and report back to you though! From what I can tell so far, I think it would work to help reduce a bit of frizz, but I don't think it will revitalize a limp hairstyle. Again....I'll know more after some experimentation!

msgiblet 08-02-2008 07:35 AM

I just ordered some, so I'll post results after it arrives and I get a chance to try it out.

amy51373 08-02-2008 08:03 AM

Ooh please do Calamity and MsG. I've got to order some more CK soon and was going to order some of the Tweek to try myself. Would be great to see some reviews of how it works before hand.

curly2 08-02-2008 08:38 AM

I am having great, great success with the Deva products, but this Tweek is getting the PJ juices in me flowing again......it really sounds like a product that I have been dreaming about for 2nd and 3rd day hair. I will be waiting for the reviews. Thanks!

CalamityM 08-02-2008 10:53 AM

Well, I used significantly more yesterday. My hair came out kind of bla, so I decided it wouldn't hurt to play around with the product. I rubbed a quarter sized amount into my palms, and then kind of scrunched it into my hair. It's kind of cool actually. It helped my hair look a bit better. I got a free sample sized bottle, and it's great to keep in my purse. I think I will tote this stuff around with me, incase I need something to fix my hair. I think it would be cool if you're stuck out in the wind, and then come inside and need to help tame your hair again. I will probably buy a larger bottle when I am next at Jonathan's salon.

I wash and re-style my hair every day, so I can't comment on how it would work to revitalize limp hair that's been slept on. I plan to use it as a fixer upper tool when I am on the go.

What I don't think it will do: 1) Fix your hair if it's a total frizzy mess. If you have decent curl's going on, and then get a bit toussled looking, or your hair needs a a little oomph, or your hair comes out so-so and you want to encourage your curls more, then it's useful...for me at least. My verdict is that I like it!

live2dream88 08-02-2008 11:51 AM

CalamityM- what other products do you use? I love your hair- it's gorgeous!!

CalamityM 08-02-2008 04:52 PM

Thanks so much. :) If you do a search though, you will find a a thread where I list my routine. I have temporarilly changed things up a bit though. I got back from Jonathan's salon, and he really helped breath new life into my hair. A few weeks ago I used some weird products and totally messed up my hair, so it's taking a break from all the junk I was experimenting with before. Right at this moment, I am using just his treatment shampoo, and then his Slip detangler, followed by a generous amount of curl keeper. I can't decide if I will go back to my old routine, or try his stuff again. My hair has always done well with his products (frizzoff.com), so I'm going to experiment with his stuff, vs my old stuff, and see which my hair likes better!

sessac81 08-03-2008 11:21 AM

I am really wanting to try this. Any other reviews? I may have to cave and go ahead and order it.

Snarls 08-03-2008 11:56 AM

Sounds good so far. I shower at night and depending on how dry my hair is when I sleep, I can wake up with some wonky hair. I don't really need complete hair rehab in the morning. This looks promising.

Suburbanbushbabe 08-03-2008 12:42 PM

It really does sound like that. I watched the video and he's doing a lot of root-scrunching, so I may give a little lift there. I wish they had trial sizes. The DMDM Hydantoin doesn't really thrill me either. I'm giving up Angell because of that ingredient.

CalamityM 08-03-2008 01:11 PM

What's wrong with DMDM Hydantoin? Is it bad for hair? I haven't read anything on it, so I'm curious! :)

rudeechick 08-03-2008 03:32 PM

Sounds very interesting. I used to use PM Round Trip for the same 2nd day hair purpose, but stopped do to some ingredient issue (magsulf??)

ANyone else wanna chime in with a review?

a.l.i.c.e. 08-03-2008 04:39 PM

The model in the ad is too gorgeous. I have major hair envy. I hate her.:evil1: Therefore, I refuse to purchase Tweek.

(Actually, I probably will, as I like to get second day hair, and I am for any product that can help with that, but I'm loving aloe vera gel too much at the moment to mess with my current routine)

Suburbanbushbabe 08-03-2008 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by CalamityM (Post 668609)

It releases formaldehyde.

CalamityM 08-04-2008 10:03 AM

Ewwww. Not so good then. :(

Just to update everyone, this weekend I was forced to attempt second day hair. My friend was heading down to the lake to go shopping, and if I wanted to go also she said I had to be ready in 10 minutes!! It takes my hair a few hours to get ready, so I showered quickly, and then grabbed my bottle of tweek. I think Jonathan needs to go into more detail about how to use it. I watched the video the other day, so I attempted to mimic what he did.

I poured a generous amount into my palms, and kind of ran it over my hair. Then I tried scrunching from the bottom and worked my way up. NOW I realise that I am supposed to scrunch from the roots. This was a challenge though, because when I tried this I couldn't detect anything happening. I wasn't sure how I should be distributing the product best at the roots.

My hair was kind of frizzy from having slept on it. This didn't exactly go away with the Tweek, so I ended up having to spritz a bit of water into my hair, and then scrunched a bit. I DID manage to get hair that I could walk out the door with though! I can't figure out if it was the Tweek that made a huge difference, or if it was spritzing my hair with some water first. My hair in the end had a bit of surface frizz at the very top, but I think it looked good overall. I'd like to hear from someone else who has had more experience playing around with this stuff though! I need some tips on how to use it properly!

msgiblet 08-04-2008 10:35 AM

I'll be glad when mine arrives so I can play with it!

msgiblet 08-04-2008 06:41 PM

Well, surprise, surprise! I received an order from CurlMart today that I had placed before I ordered the Tweek and guess what sample they so nicely threw in? Yep, a 1-oz sample of Tweek! So, since I didn't have a great hair day today (I used a lighter hold gel and didn't use near enough of it) and ended up sticking my hair up in a scrunchie by this afternoon and clipping my bangs back, so my hair was pretty bad when I got home. I decided to try the sample. I had to keep adding more and more, so you do evidently need to use a generous amount. It did make my hair look a little more presentable and finished and it's starting to look a little better the more it's been sitting in my hair. I guess it is basically like a hairspray, just as advertised -- doesn't do much but provide some hold and finish, but without any weight. Most definitely not greasy or oily and doesn't leave your hair feeling producty, which is a good thing. I don't think it's going to perform any miracles, but I can see where it might make 2nd day or messed up, windblown hair look more finished, calm it down and provide some hold. I'm definitely going to keep playing with it -- I can possibly see it becoming a keeper!

ETA: Calamity, I first applied it while upside down and ran my fingers up into the roots and then kind of massaged all through the roots. When I felt like I had gotten the roots thoroughly, I scrunched some and then flipped back up and scrunched more in just as I would a gel.

rudeechick 08-05-2008 06:59 PM

BUMP

Anyone? I really want a good excuse to try this product....:toothy7:

msgiblet 08-06-2008 08:32 AM

Well, I used it this morning on 2nd day hair and I'm still not sure what I think about it. It did seem to "neaten" my hair up a bit so it's a little more presentable than my normal 2nd day hair and gave it some lift up off the scalp, but other than that, not much. I think you have to have pretty good 2nd day hair to begin with because it doesn't really change anything or perform any miracles. Where I think it will help me is with 2nd or 3rd day updos. Since my hair is on the soft side, it's sometimes hard to get my hair up and this stuff does stiffen it up a wee bit and I think it would make it much easier to get my hair up. I think it's just what it says it is -- a light hairspray in cream form. I'll have to keep playing with it. Also, I had to use quite a bit of it and since it comes in a 4-oz. bottle, I don't see it lasting very long.