Which to buy? KCCC vs. Curl Keeper

I'm going to be making an order on curlmart soon and I'm not completely positive as to what I want to buy. I'm wanting to try Kinky Curly Knot Today for sure, and I'm debating between buying Curling Custard or Curl Keeper (I've never tried either). My hair is really, really tangly no matter what and also really frizzy and dry. It's pretty much 3b but has some 3c on the back and other random places.. just past my shoulders after I sadly had six inches cut off. It's unpredictable, typically likes mousse best. Ah, I really don't know what else to say about it to give you the general idea! I feel like it will never look good, that I'm somehow the exception to the beauty of curly hair.

Anyway, I suppose I'm just curious as to the differences between those two products (KCCC and Curl Keeper). I'd love to hear your opinions and recommendations so I can hopefully make a decision!

Last edited by hgamble4; 08-06-2008 at 01:16 AM.
IMHO, the KCCC is a miracle product. There's nothing that comes close. It seems to work for all types of hair. Very few don't like it. Once people get used to using it, they seem to be "won" over. CK is loved by many. I am allergic, but didn't love it when I used it.

You could buy a small bottle of CK for $8, so you could try it, too. LOL!!

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams
I agree with kathymack...
KCCC=

I tried CK a long, long time ago, and had no luck with it at all, but so many swear by it. I may have to give it another chance some day.

You may have to just get both
I love KCCC
Could not get the CK to work for me, my hair does not do well with Glycerin. Having said that, a lot of people here have mad love for CK
I just started using KCCC and KT. I wasn't having any luck with it. I watched mysteryflavored's how to video on this site, She showed how to properly use it. Now I'm hooked. She used gel at the end to hold the curl in. I used KC and it works great. I just use a little spray on top for some lift. I think my problem was I was plopping my hair. Now I just scrunch with a microfiber towel and let it dry. Try watching the video.
I don't think the two are comparable. CK is a frizz-fighter. It has no hold. Some curlies with more curl (it sounds like you could be one of them) use CK by itself to tame frizz. If you don't need help getting volume or definition, this may work well for you.

KCCC is a gel-like product. It has hold and helps define curls. On the label it says it helps with frizz, but I've found I get more frizz with it than I do a traditional gel. That said, it is by far my favorite product. If you want to help define and control your curls (or elongate them), I recommend the KCCC and the KCKT which work well together.

HTH! Have fun shopping!
Loose botticelli curls and waves
No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
I agree that they are two very different products. You could try getting the small bottle of CK. That way, just in case it doesn't work for you, you won't have invested in a full sized bottle.

I love both products. I buy the CK by the liter. It helps a lot in the Florida humidity.

I find that the Curling Custard enlongates my curls just a little bit. It works great with the Knot Today. It also lasts a long time because the tub is pretty large and you don't have to use much of it to achieve great results (at least I dont...). HTH!
Vanessa
CG since 9/2007
www.DixonJewelryAndMore.etsy.com

medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, CHS Tweek
They perform differently enough that it would be worth it to get both if you can. The CK can be bought in a smaller bottle.

They are both popular enough that they are easily gotten rid of on the swap board if you don't like one or both of them.

I think the KCCC does have a greater learning curve on useage though.

I wish there were trial sizes of KC stuff. They aren't cheap, and the KCCC tub is huge.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
I just placed an order for KCCC. I have seen so many peoples reviews that were happy with the product (although it seems like it takes time to get the hang of it). I will let you know how it goes! Keep your fingers crossed for me
I agree with the last few posts - they are apples and oranges. Both are great for what they do - CK is my foundation under all products except (ironically enuf KCKT/KCCC). It is like the foundation of my frizzless defined curls.

But the KCCC is great too - as a styler. If I HAD to choose one, it would be CK.... but I dont, so I use both
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
If i'm reading this correctly, many of you ladies that the KCCC works for have fine hair? (of various textures/bulk)

I've got fine, flyaway THIRSTY hair that is easily weighed down and want to try an alternative to clear hypoallergenic gel which I wonder if it is drying to my hair.

Is a 3-5 step process necessary for those w/finer 3b/3c hair? I generally co-wash, condition, and put gel in....after scrunch done. Could I still be denying my hair? I feel like I can get quite a bit more curl out of it, but haven't since my first success.

Last edited by violet_gypsy; 09-01-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: -decoding-
If i'm reading this correctly, many of you ladies that the KCCC works for have fine textured hair irregardless of texture/bulk?

I've got fine, flyaway THIRSTY hair that is easily weighed down and want to try an alternative to clear hypoallergenic gel (could be drying to hair?)

Originally Posted by violet_gypsy
Not exactly sure what your question is. On fine 3a hair, I do a rinse out, leave in, possibly FOTE, KCCC (or other curl creme) and possibly a gel.

Sorry, I have a bad habit of getting too wordy at times. -g-

I'm wondering if the KCCC is too heavy for finer haired 3's (whether bulkier or thinner) and if it seems to work better on its own rather than with another product (KCKT, etc).

Also i'm pretty much at co-wash, condition, and put in gel. It seems like most are taking one to several more steps for the desired outcome. I'm trying to discern whether or not I need to include more products or try a different type in order to get the shine and curl pattern I saw the first time I tried the CG method.

Thanks for trying to decipher my post. hehe
To make it short, the KCCC is fabulous for fine haired 3a curls. You could try it on it's own, it's a unique product. It enhances curl and acts like a light hold gel. I get the most shrinkage (tightest curl) from it. If your hair is thirsty, I'm not sure why you aren't using a leave in?

Originally Posted by kathymack
My hair is nice and soft, but when I scrunch my hair the ends poke (my palm) a little bit. I'm assuming this is product or dryness. (thusly the impending gel vs. KCCC test) I don't like feeling any crunch...even a little.

It's like my hair sucks up what it can get, but can get weighed down (seems common here). I've left a little bit of V05 on the ends tonight and had the same outcome.

How is the consistency of KCCC? Is it like cholesterol or thicker?

Thanks!

Last edited by violet_gypsy; 09-01-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: ETA
How is the consistency of KCCC? Is it like cholesterol or thicker?

Thanks! [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Originally Posted by violet_gypsy
Don't know what product your talking about when you ask if it's like cholesterol. Here's a thread with mysteryflavor's video about applying KCCC. Maybe that will help you.
Kinky-Curly styling video

I am having some trouble with the KCKT/KCCC. I have fairly thick, coarse, a little past shoulder length hair - and I am not having great results with this product. I did the mystery flavored method, but I think that was too much product for me, and I raked through, but that didn't look so great either.

How much do you all use? A quarter? More?
2c/3a (I think!), thick and dry

Currently loving AOHR and Pink Boots!

How much do you all use? A quarter? More?
Originally Posted by KristyB
If you follow the link kathymak provided, it demonstrates how much product "mysterflavored" uses.

Kristy: I'm having the same experience, so I'm going to try and use less of KCCC (and KCKT) today and see if I can get softer, clumpier curls instead of crunchy, stringy ones.
2A or 3A, depending on the day...
Always experimenting! Current go-to routine: Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo, Pantene Curls Conditioner, Bumble & Bumble Holding Foam, Aussie Aussome Volume Gel
My hair is too dry for Curl Keeper. It has very little moisturizer in it. My hair loves to go in the dredded east west direction, which I HATE. The Curl Keeper could not keep my hair down. I struggled with dangruff with it too. If your hair has volume and you love volume, you may want to go with it.

KCCC has moisturizers. I actually don't really have to condition when I'm going to be using it. It works great on my hair.
About once a week - Condition with Curls Milkshake. Comb in Kinky Curly Leave In Conditioner & Kinky Curly Curling Custard after squeezing most of the water out of my hair. Use table top dryer for 10 minutes. Use diffuser for 10 minutes.
Daily - Lightly wet hair. Comb in a little Kinky Curly Curling Custard if needed. Use table top dryer for a few minutes or let air dry.
Shampoo - Only before straightening.