Old 08-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #1

Thumbs up JC Nourish and Shine

WOW do I love Jane Carter's N&S!!! Thanks to Kitarra who mentioned she uses this stuff. It's all natural which is a huge plus!! I've been searching for something to use when my hair is dry to scrunch out the crunch and give it some shine and hold and this stuff is exactly what I was looking for. I used it over BRHG when it was wet and dry and was able to have a pretty good 2nd day! I'm hoping to get 3 days we'll see, I'm putting this new experiment on my Fotki.

The other plus is it can be used on your body as well, so when I use it I don't have to rinse it out I just work the rest of it into my hands! Just be careful if you order it on-line and it's hot that you don't open it (like I did) cuz mine was melted I had to put it in the fridge for a couple hrs. to firm it up but now it's perfect

Old 08-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #2

FrizzBgone's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007

Glad you like it !! This is a favourite of many here. I also use it to scrunch out the crunch. It was also a big help to my unbelievably dry and cracked cuticles all winter!
FrizzBgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #3

Suburbanbushbabe's Avatar

Join Date: May 2006

I'm on my second tub of N&S. I began by using it sparingly on dry hair and still do that. But I also use it on wet hair.
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Suburbanbushbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #4

Join Date: Aug 2008

I keep eyeing this at Whole Foods. I may have to give in to the PJ urge!! I have been SOTC with Set it Free, and I don't like it at all. I could use a little extra shine!
2c/3a (I think!), thick and dry

Currently loving AOHR and Pink Boots!
KristyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #5

Join Date: Aug 2008

Oh I desperately wanted Set it Free to work for me on dry hair!! I loved the smell but that was about it!! I would use it on wet hoping that it would do something but never noticed a diff whether I used it or not. Finally I realized the combo of the Deva Arc Angel and set it free were giving me a real ITCHY scalp.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #6

Join Date: Jan 2009
Default Yeessssss!

For the LOVE of everything holy... why didn't anyone tell me about the magic of Nourish & Shine sooner?!?!?!

My hair normally laughs at butters because it's fine but it gobbled this right up and left my curls SOFT to the touch, no more crunchy/dryness anymore. I'm a JS N&S head now!

DiscoveringMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #7

Boomygrrl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008

Just make sure to not overdo it, otherwise it makes your hair look greasy and dirty.
I forget to use it...thanks for reminding me. My hair and hands could benefit from this right now.
I once put some in a smaller container to carry with me. I left it in my car. It was summer time in Texas...muy caliente. I opened it and ouch!!! It was almost boiling hot and it was in liquid form and got all over my pants! ack! So, just be extra careful with it.
That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.

3a/3b
Boomygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #8

finch's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008

I love it as well, it's especially great for SOTC.
Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. My hair hates protein, apparently.

finch is offline   Reply With Quote

Scrunching Out The Crunch
http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

msgiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #11

Starmie's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005

I put some on my feet today, can't for the life of me get it right in my hair!
3b in South Australia.
Starmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #12

finch's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008

You only use a teeny tiny itsy bitsy bit, like the size of half a pea. Seriously.

I use more when I want to do a deep treatment, like I did last night. But be prepared, if you do a deep treatment with it, your hair will look really greasy, so don't plan on going out anywhere. LOL.

finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #13

melaniesusan's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Default compare with JC cream?

I'm interested in trying this. I just tried KCCC, which is nice but leaves me with flyaways.

But I'm a little suspicious about using any hair butter on my fine, 3A hair. Recently, I tried DM cocoa hemp buttercream, but it was WAY too heavy for my hair, which turned oily and wilted.

Is JC N&S really diffferent from DM CHB? Also, has anyone tried JC HNC (hair nourishing cream)? I read it described as a "lighter, creamy" version of N&S.

The ingredient lists for all three products are as follows:

JC Nourish and Shine. Ingredients : Shea butter, Kokum butter, Illippe butter, Mango butter, Vitamins A, D, & E, pear and grapefruit essential oils.

JC Hair Nourishing Cream. Ingredients : Purified Water, Shea Butter, Kokum Butter, Illippe Butter, Mango Butter, Vtamins A, D, & E Orange, Grapefruit, Palmarosa, Cedarwood, Geranium, Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Bergamot, Rosemary Essential Oils, Jojoba, Glycerin, Polysorbate 80, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl acrylate Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid.

Donna Marie Cocoa Hemp Hair Butter. Ingredients: Deionized water, Organic Aloe Barbadensis (aloe vera) Leaf Juice,Cannabis Sativa (Hemp Seed Oil), Elaeis guineensis(Palm Oil),Glycine soja (Soybean Oil), Gossypium (Cottonseed Oil) Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Prunus dulcis (Almond) Oil, Emulsifying wax NF, glycerin, Palm stearic acid, Theobroma cacao (organic cocoa butter), Citric acid, Tocopherol (vitamin e), silver citrate, Hibiscus rosa sinensis linn (Hibiscus) flower extract, Equisetum arvense (horsetail extract), honey, Urtica dioica (nettle) extract potassium sorbate, silver citrate, citric acid and Fragrance
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
melaniesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #14

msgiblet's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by melaniesusan View Post

Just want to be sure before spending $22 on something new...
This probably won't help much, but I've been using a little BRHG on top of the KCCC (before drying) and I end up with no flyaways. Works for me because I don't always have good luck with butters or creams once my hair is dry.
http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

msgiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #15

kathymack's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by melaniesusan View Post

Just want to be sure before spending $22 on something new...
JC N & S is much greasier then the DM Coco Hemp Buttercreme. My hair loves the DM and a lot of the other heavy products, but got greasy from the N & S.

My hair actually started out as fine 3a curls in the summer and fine 2 something waves in the winter. After using a lot of the heavier products, I consistently get curls like the ones in my signature.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #16

Join Date: Aug 2008

I still love JCN&S in the Winter and I love the DM CHB too. They are both very different IMO and the textures are not alike.

I don't find JC greasy I just emulsify a pea size and scrunch it in dry hair. If I need more moisture I reach for DM if I want shine or to SOTC I use JC. Love them both!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #17

melaniesusan's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Default DM alternatives

Today I tried a little DM L&T to smooth down the flyaways (on 2nd day hair with DM detangler + KCCC), and I think that worked better than the DM CCB did: my hair wasn't overwhelmed.

So maybe I'll just stick with that for now...
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
summer styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen