L'Oreal Melting Gel

I tried the melting gel, and I have to say it was GREAT! It was very slippery, and felt nice to apply. I applied it after shower, combing my hair, then putting in some serum and Herbal Essences None Of Your Frizziness (?) into my hair. It gave great definition and just enough hold with minimal crunch. It kept my hair nice and in control the entire night I spent at a dance. So far, so good; I think I'll have to incorporate this into my daily routine! Thanks! (:
No, this gel most DEFINITELY doesn't weigh your hair down... it feels like I have nothing whatsoever in my hair, actually!

I think it's best for 2s with fine hair (and possibly some 3s with fine hair), but if your curls/waves require some hold in order to last through the day, you'll probably need a little bit of something else over it. BRHG has been working fine for me. I get the soft definition from the melting gel and the BRHG keeps it from frizzing or falling flat by the end of the day
Originally Posted by MimsTX
So you use this underneath BRHG? Is the melting gel supposed to just be a hold gel, or a curl enhancer as well?
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

It's a really light hold gel. If you have fine hair, you might not need anything else. My hair though is pretty thick and heavy, and it needs something else ot keep the curls from pulling out.

I just use a TINY bit of the BRHG though. Just enough to help it out
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
I know that none of you guys are going to be reading this because people stopped talking on it last week, but I must say that you are all EVIL because you have added a product to my list of products that I NEED! Arg. I am being converted to a pj. NEVER! I MUST RESIST THE PULL! No, actually I must try that product. I repeat, EVIL! Wait, if anyone of you are reading this and it worked for you, what's your hair type?
lmao, this gel? it was the start of my downslide into PJism.... welcome to the sisterhood :P

I'm mostly a 3A, but I have some 2C underneath that likes to be difficult. My hair's a medium thickness (not fine, but not super coarse) and I have a lot of it. My curls get pulled down pretty easily if I put anything too heavy on my hair, but at the same time it needs something with a decent hold to make it spring up into the curls. It's a delicate balance :P this gel works, but only if I have something with a harder hold on top... just a little bit, to help keep the curls from falling out through the day

Originally Posted by MimsTX
This too seems to be my problem, only my hair is way finer and thinner, and well, less curly probably haha. It depends, some days I want my waves and am fine with weighing it down a little more, but lately I've been trying to see how much curl I can get to bounce up and keep things light- but then I lose the hold, so you're right, it's a delicate balance .
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

Ok..I picked this up last week due to this thread and that it was on sale. When I put it in my hair - it FOAMED!! Why do some products do this?? I HATE it! I also did not get enough hold from even though I put some BRHG over it. Thank goodness I only spent $3!

xcptnl, I'm still trying this because you are pretty opposite of my hair type (thick 3b with some 3a). Mimstx, how can i not be glad im part of the extended family! ok, i'm going to walmart in a couple hours, so i hope it's there. I'll tell ya'll what i think tomorrow night.
darn you all! how dare you all turn me into a PJ when i'm on a low budget right now! LOL. luckily, i received a walmart gift card and i will probably go pick this up and test it out. seems silly, after i bought two gels today. and LOOB the other day. and a day before that AVG. and before that a bunch of different LA looks and la bella gels. SHEESH.
don't add it up in your head... you'll drive yourself nuts. Just... let it go :P

and let your inner PJ out.

I think i went to walmart like 6 times in 4 days a few weeks ago... sad.
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
Sooooo I just picked this up last night, and tried it this morning. I did Suave green apple cowash, TigiMM, KCKT as a leave in, KCCC to get some curls, and this over the top, and I don't know if it was due to the MM or this or what, but I'm having the best hair day today than I've had in weeks. YAY!
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

So I was out of town yesterday. It was mid 80's, incredibly humid and tropical storm speed winds. My hair looked great when I got ready for the day but needless to say with those conditions it was short-lived. By 4:30, I was having one of my worst hair days ever. I had a dinner party to go to, no time to re-do my hair and a good distance away from my room (and consequently CK) anyway. I tried wetting my hair, made it worse. I tried Tweek - bupkiss. I went to the drugstore and saw the melting gel. I remembered reading this post just before leaving town so figured out what the heck my hair could NOT have looked any worse.

I used my hands to scrunch in some water and then some of the gel. Took about 20 min for it to dry. When I scrunched out the gel, it wasn't perfect but it was acceptable enough to be seen in public. I washed this morning and used it but I also used honey. So I'm not sure whether the honey or the gel have the hold but my curls are locked in tight.

Jury's still out. I'm not a big fan of Day 1 hair anyway. I'll see what I think of it tomorrow.
Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.

OF COURSE it's the HONEY silly but I'm biased.......I'm on the road to trying Molasses now.......
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

Originally Posted by DEL2C
Good grief! Pretty soon you'll be able to whip up breakfast in the shower!

And yes I think the honey's a keeper. My hair is really flat today but usually is Day 1. My culs seem spiralled or something though.
Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
Hi all,

I haven't been around in AGES, but wanted to stop by with my FAVORITE new product. I'm so in love. It's L'Oreal Light Headed Melting Gel. This gel has a watery consistency, not goopy at all, dries with no crunch, leaves my hair super shiny all day and frizz free. I love the lack of goop because it gives my wavy/curly hair the freedom to curl without locking it in too early the way gels have a tendency to do in my hair.

I'd love to hear from others who've tried it. This is the first hair product in a long time to make me happy and I had to de-lurk to share.
Originally Posted by LizzyBennet
I havent had any luck with this gel, as much as I want it to work! I bought Nutrigloss to use with it, the curly formula. Is that thhe one you use or is it the one for damaged hair?
CG since October 20th, 2009
co.wash: suave coconut, vo5 vanilla mint tea, vo5 strawberries n' creme,
low-poo: Giovanni 50/50, deva no-poo
condish: suave coconut
leave-in: suave coconut, giovanni leave in
stylers: HE tousle me softly mousse & gel

curls n creme: my transition to cg, experiments, and product reviews
my fotki: pinacurlada

GAHHHH you guys make me want to buy LOOB and this...so badly!

i cant even start curlygirl. my mom says we dont need more shampoo, so i gotta get rid of my sulfate/cones poo and CO first.
--xxmisschrisxx
3a since going CG!
CG on 10/12/08. free of cones, sulfates, and shampoo! added shampoo bars 1/80/09.
using:
shampoo bars (wind blossom)
condish - burts bees super shiny
styling - confused and running out of products. TRYING LOOB!
trying: tweek...barely.
WAITING to try: Melting Gel...resisting the urge to become a PJ...kind of...
Dislikes: molasses and CK so unfortunately...
I actually don't really care for this gel. It does feel nice (good slip) but, it makes my hair really UNdefined. I haven't tried it with anything else though, just by itself. My hubby likes it though for his hair, and I think I might try the LOOB soon...
Ooh! I just have to try this one too! Bought it on sale yesterday and will try after my DT this weekend. But a couple of things .... first, the one I bought doesn't seem to have any -cones at all ... (maybe the Canadian formulation is different?) and second, ppl have said it is not a strong hold but its label says "strong hold". Guess that teaches me to not trust labels!
2b/3a in Vancouver, Canada
loving my own homemade Satsuma scented agave spiked FSG

yup, I'm an unabashed PJ!
For up to $10 off at iherb.com, use this code: DEY827
anyone?
2b/3a in Vancouver, Canada
loving my own homemade Satsuma scented agave spiked FSG

yup, I'm an unabashed PJ!
For up to $10 off at iherb.com, use this code: DEY827
I don't know if the Canadian formulation is different or not. The second ingredient is listed as PEG/PPG 17/18 Dimethicone, but I think that's a water soluble cone.

I know what you mean about trying to figure out if labels mean what they say. I didn't find that this gel had a particularly strong hold, but I don't mind that. It's not my favorite gel and I usually only use it to spruce up second day hair.
Maudie