Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #21

curlywurlygurly's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008

cheap is good thanks for your help
curlywurlygurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:18 AM   #22

curlywurlygurly's Avatar

quick questions...

what exactly should this do for me?
how do i know if my hair likes it?
and how many times should i try it till i give in?

I'm currently trying it for the second time, think i used too little last time. But it seemed to make my hair funny feeling, not sticky or hard but weird.. so weird i had to wash it out haha.

thanks
curlywurlygurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #23

medusahair's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006

I use mine on pretty wet dripping hair and it gives me soft curls that shine and stay in place without frizz. Now I don't have a super frizz problem but it's hot and humid here still and I get a halo of frizz without this stuff.

CK used to give me harder curls. I like them both but KY can be found local and cheap woohoo
2c/3a?
Low porosity, medium texture.

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
medusahair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #24

LovetoKnit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008

How do the ingredients in the two products compare? I want to try LOOB, but I am alittle nervous about trying it in my hair. My teenage girls think I am crazy!!

New to CG! Two days.
CG since 10-03-08
Cowash: Suave Naturals Coconut
Leave-In: TJ Nourish
Styling: Biolage Gelee
Lo-poo: ? still sneaking into the reg poo
Wanting to try: KCCC, ACV rinse, JRR
Don't Like: AVG, LA Looks Gel, Burt's Bees Shine
LovetoKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #25

Join Date: Aug 2008

You might want to read my post I just made where I compared using these products.
If you purchase the WalMart brand of KY (Equate) it's cheap, plus I don't have to pay for shipping (I may raise some eyebrows if I decide to stock up). The KY really makes my hair slip and I think does a great job with the frizz. When KY was first mentioned I thought, WHAT? Now, I just keep it hidden in my bathroom cupboard careful to never leave it out on the counter
3b? curls. Curly Girl since 10/05.

Love "abba Pure Moisture Conditioner" (feels so good on the scalp, super moisturizing...I believe it really aids in growing hair long)

Newbie here 8/08 and still trying to figure out all the abbreviations but love what you all have to share.
RedCurlsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:52 AM   #26

Join Date: Jun 2008
Default Am I missing the cost effective aspect?

It looks to me like using the KY isn't any cheaper than the CK, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing. I just checked drugstore.com to dabble on prices and it looked like 2.5 oz was $7.50ish. That looks like double the price of CK?
Began CG June 2008:
Experimenting with:
  • Devacare Low Poo (every 10 days)
  • Biotera Moisturizing Conditioner
  • Kiehls Leave In
  • CK
  • Biotera Gel
Curlylocks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:58 AM   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to MimsTX

Once you add shipping, i think they're about the same. I seem to use slightly less CK than KY though, so that might make a bit of a difference as well. But, then again, you don't have to wait for the mail with KY... lol, all depends on where your priorities are.

And Love2Knit: LOOB and CK/KY are not the same thing lol. I know the names can be confusing. LOOB is L'oreal out of bed, a creme 'texturizer' that you can find at most drug/grocery stores.
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #28

Join Date: Mar 2007

so a few drops of this stuff - either one - isn't enough? I keep trying it but I don't think I use enough, according to what I see here... how much of the KY do you normally use?
and ps - thanks for this thread! very helpful!!!!
Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...

Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #29

Send a message via Yahoo to MimsTX

oooooh, no. a couple of drops, I wouldn't even notice it was in there.

With the KY, in the summer humidity, I was using about 4-6 puddles worth (cupped palm-sized). With CK (which I think is a bit stronger) i only had to use about 3-4 Now I'm down to about 2-3, because the humidity's slightly less.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #30

Join Date: Mar 2007

ah ha!!! thank you!!! I will go and overdose tonite!!!!
thanks again!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #31

Join Date: Mar 2007

WOWWWWWWW!!! thanks girls!!! this was great - I overdosed on the KY (I was using just a few drops ) - so I went to "puddles" - and I may have used too much, but my hair is SO soft and shiny! now I GET it!!! WOWOWO! however, I was really impressed this morning, then, through the day, it's been getting a little frizzy (nothing like before!) but just wondering if that's because there was too much? I used the LA Gel too - luv that stuff! should I use less or more gel if I'm using the KY??? just wondering...
thanks again - this is amazing!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to MimsTX

uuuum, I haven't noticed that i have to adjust my gel amounts too much based on the KY/CK...

DO pay attention to your humidity levels though. If it's high, use more CK/KY (like you did). If the humidity's low, use less or none at all. It pulls the moisture out of whatever has more... so if the air has more moisture than your hair, it deposits it into you rhair, reducing frizz.. BUT... if the air's dry, it'll do the opposite and actually CAUSE frizz.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #33

Join Date: Mar 2007

ah ha! wow MimsTx, you're SO good! thanks!!! yes, I'm in NJ - it's been quite dry for a while now - fall is setting in!! so would you say that I should just not use it now that it's getting to be drier??? I really liked how it started out this am, but like I said, 1/2 way through the day I started getting "puffy"!!!!
thanks SO much!!!

Old 10-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #34

Send a message via Yahoo to MimsTX

lol, it's not me! I get all my info from all the other lovely curlies on this site... it's all them!

If you aren't have big frizz issues without the KY, you probably don't need it at the moment. You could probably use just a bit for shine if you wanted, but it's main purpose has been controling frizz for me
Old 10-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #35

Join Date: Mar 2007
Default How does it leave your hair (feeling)

Ok when I think of KY I think of it staying sticky...does it leave your hair sticky? I am seriously considering this because of the price but can you get second day hair with it and when your hair is dry is it "greasy" feeling?
4a hair
I use Kinky Curly Knot Today and Kinky Curly Curling Custard. My daughters are 3c and 4b.
curlmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #36

Send a message via Yahoo to MimsTX

It's not sticky at all for me. In fact, it's really really slippery lol. It doesn't make my hair greasy at all either.... I don't know, it's a little hard to describe.

When I'm scrunching in a puddle, it kind of just feels like I'm scrunching water back into my hair. It doesn't seem to add any weight, grease or crunch to it whatsoever. Some people can get away with just using the KY/CK and nothing else, but I personally have to use some kind of gel over it, just because my hair goes nuts without it.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #37

Join Date: Mar 2007

well, yes, you are all quite bright on here with the amount of chemical info and herbal info you know!!! Thanks!!!!
so, if I use the KY with the FOTE -would that work better? to keep more moisture in??? I guess I'm just looking to get more "seperated chunks" that aren't frizzy - more so on the top or ends, those parts frizz the most!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #38

Send a message via Yahoo to MimsTX

Some people have had TREMENDOUS success with the FOTE/KY combo.

I tried it for awhile, but FOTE just doesn't agree with my hair. Caused a lot of 'expansion' issues (it'd start out looking healthy and shiny, and by the end of the day my hair was HUGE).

Definitely give it a try... it won't hurt anything
Old 11-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #39

curlsAbound's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008

Originally Posted by RedCurlsGirl View Post
I am experimenting with it and have put it in a pump-type bottle to not only disguise it but also make it easier to use as I hate squeez tubes since you can't always control the amount that comes out.
2b/3a in Vancouver, Canada
HG's
Poo/Condish:Desert Essences shampoo and conditioner, Biolage Deep Treatment, LiveClean moisturizing low 'poo/condish, Loréal NutriGloss Treatment
Leave in: BWC, HSH pumpkin potion, Aveda Be Curly style-prep
Stylers:
my own homemade Satsuma scented agave spiked FSG; Aveda Phomollient + BeCurly curl enhancer; Biolage Gelée + AOMM, AG mousse gel

yup, I'm an unabashed PJ!
For $5 off at iherb.com, use this code: DEY827
curlsAbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:27 AM   #40

bettinfla's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Default Re-post

I posted this in another thread but I have an 8 oz bottle that CK came in and I added 4 oz of Equate (Walmart brand KY; $1.7 and 4 oz of warm water and shook it good. It is exactly like CK to me and is disguised in that bottle.
bettinfla is offline   Reply With Quote