Curl Keeper versus KY

Is it really worth shelling out the extra $$$ for the Curl Keeper?

Has anyone used both that would care to weigh in?
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
Is it really worth shelling out the extra $$$ for the Curl Keeper?

Has anyone used both that would care to weigh in?
Originally Posted by MimsTX
It would be my pleasure being the CK fan that I am! I did try both and honestly the amt that I need (4-6 puddles) would make it more expensive to use KY! But they are pretty similar I think trying KY as a "preview" to know if CK would work for your hair is as good as a sample of the real thing!!

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

How long is your hair, Del? I've been using about 3 puddles of KY, but it's possible I need to use more...

Someone just mentioned in another thread that the CK is what kept her curls 'perky' throughout the day (mine keep wilting as I hit the afternoon). Didn't know if the difference between KY and CK was the culprit, or if I just wasn't using enough... or if it just doesn't work for me

I'm hoping it's one of the first two

I'm hoping it's one of the first two
Originally Posted by MimsTX
my hair is Long I think you could say the longest part in the back hits the bottom of my bra strap? You can look at my fotki to get a better idea if that helps? I tried just CK and it wasn't enough hold so I need a strong hold gel on top of it or I don't get the results that I want. I tried Recoil and that worked pretty good too but for CK seems to jive better with Gel not Cream. Maybe in the Winter I'll need Recoil, don't know it makes my head itch after the 2nd day so I'm hoping to ditch it! My perk comes from the CK/Gel combo.

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

yeah, there's no way in heck my hair could go with just CK/KY...

I have some recoil on the way so maybe that'll help my issues. What kind of gel have you been using??
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
yeah, there's no way in heck my hair could go with just CK/KY...

Originally Posted by MimsTX
Biosilk RH Gel it is the best gel I've ever used. It is crunchy so you'll have to scrunch it out and it's very concentrated I use about 2dime sizes all over and on non-wash days I've been using a pea size mixed on my palm with a little home made lavender water to freshen it up, it works great and holds all day.

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

that was next on my list of things to try. Thanks!!
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
lol, KY as in the personal lube...
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
lol, KY as in the personal lube...
Originally Posted by MimsTX
You enjoyed that didn't you? *giggle*

lol, I have to admit... I get a kick out of shocking people with that :P

Actually, I was at Target with my younger sister on Sunday and convinced her to try going CG. She picked up a bottle of the KY and I got this strange, unconfortable look on my face. All "ok, but just... don't let dad see it..."

That's the last thing I need is having to explain THAT!
lol, I have to admit... I get a kick out of shocking people with that :P

That's the last thing I need is having to explain THAT!

ROFLOL

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
She is, at least, 20 years old and living in an apartment at her college so odds are he won't find out, but still. Yeesh.
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
"No, *REALLY* dad it's for my hair!!!"

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
oy. And then the inevitable..

"WHERE did you get it?!"

"... Well, Meg said it would work..."

-_-

She'd so do it to me too. The brat. lol
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
haha strange..I wasn't sure it was the KY personal lube or I'd missed some abbreviation (being new it's not hard getting lost in the lingo!)

what I'd like to know is how the hell someone found that KY worked for curls??

what I'd like to know is how the hell someone found that KY worked for curls??
Originally Posted by curlywurlygurly

ROFL!!!!

I've often wondered the same thing but I figure someone had some for *other* purposes and Curl Keeper at the same time. They somehow () found out they felt the same and decided to look at ingredients. I can't imagine any other scenario.

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
yeeeeah, that's the million dollar question lol

I like to imagine some curly grabbed the wrong bottle out of the 200 million jamming her bathroom counters and voila.

but, odds are, someone with an anal streak was comparing the ingredient lists to everything in her house and realized they were similar, chemically. :P
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
lol, the possibilities are endless!(and somewhat amusing) but I guess all in all its helpful?

I'm contemplating trying this, I'm an aussie so most products mentioned on here I can't get my hands on without paying an arm and a leg for them. But I can get my hands on KY. I'm gathering to use the traditional KY jelly not some fancy pants one? (lol)
lol, yes, just the plain ole KY. Some people have used the warming kind and some have used the jelly instead of the liquid as well.. they all probably work about the same, but i go with what's cheap :P