Suggestions For New Curl Cream?

I need recommendations for a curl cream to alternate with Re:Coil. In the winter I have to switch from gels to creams for the extra moisture. I'd like a cream that doesn't have mag. sulfate to alternate with my Re:Coil so my hair doesn't dry out. Thanks for any ideas. Oh, almost forgot, I use CK under creams for hold.

Mixed Chicks Leave In Conditioner
Loreal out of bed is pretty good for a curl cream. No mag sulfate but it does have a water soluble cone. Also the Biotera curl cream at Sallys is a good one. Then of course Boots or KCCC but they're not as easily available. I pretty much rotate Recoil, Boots, KCCC, Biotera and now LOOB (yeah I'm a PJ)
mostly 3a/i/F
Modified CG since Feb 2008
Rotating a lot!
Blog: http://amy51373.blogspot.com/
I second the L'Oreal Out of Bed Weightless Texturizer. I used it yesterday for the first time and had GREAT hair all day, but this morning woke up to so-so hair. I'm thinking the LOOB needs something with it for hold (I don't know what kind of hold CK offers, never tried it).
3b/c, CG 9/18/08
Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
I have KCCC, does anyone have any luck combing it through the hair? I've always scrunched it, but I'm liking combing the products through lately for more volume and a little looser curl. I tried it once but it made it hard to comb (sticky), and my hair turned out kind of straight.

Mixed Chicks Leave In Conditioner
I have yet to be able to comb any products in yet. If I do I get stringy curls instead of clumpy ones. I'll probably start experimenting with that once I'm done with my current Boots experiment. I think there are some curlies who are having good luck with combing it in though.
mostly 3a/i/F
Modified CG since Feb 2008
Rotating a lot!
Blog: http://amy51373.blogspot.com/
MOP-C Curl Defining Cream is just lovely. No cones, no proteins, great scent. Best I have used. Try a board search
Originally Posted by joya
The Biotera Curl creme is definetly a decent alternative - its cheap and readily available. But for me the Innersense QCCC is the BEST!

Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album

Originally Posted by rudeechick
I never really know how to classify this either. I know it says on the packaging that it's a natural "gel" but it's also supposed to be a curling custard. For me it works somewhere between a curl cream and a gel. Not really enough hold by itself, but certainly did help give me better defined waves and some curls.

Is Bioterra the sally knockoff?
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

Originally Posted by aislin
Biotera is sold at Sallys... dont believe its a Knock off... think its a line theycarry. Their gel and curl creme are VERY adequate.

As for the KCCC - it is in a class all by itself. Its clearly not just a curl creme, but it surely doesnt give yu gel like hold. I do get super bouncy body from it, and nice soft shiny LOOSE curls - but hold is NOT its strong suit.

I've only been CG since May - can't WAIT to use KCCC in the cold weather!
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
I forgot about QCCC, I think I still have some from last winter. I can't remember why I stopped using it. I never tried Mop-C, there is a store that carries it local so I might try it also.

What would you recommend using with QCCC for hold?

Originally Posted by aislin

I've only been CG since May - can't WAIT to use KCCC in the cold weather!
Originally Posted by rudeechick
Hey thanks for the clarification on the Bioterra. I'm always getting that confused with another brand that sounds similar... Maybe I was thinking of Biosilk. I've only been using KCCC since about June too, and I know I've heard people putting it away for the winter because it just loosens things up too much, but I can't wait to try it out either!
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

hey does anyone know if they're discontinuing LOOB?? it's on clearance at my local Walgreens.
Originally Posted by myoctober
gah! I hope not. LOOB has been around forever (or at least it seems like that). I am gong to check the internet now...

3a/b low to normal porosity curls
CG method since 2006 @:-)
fotki pw: whim updated 06.05.14
CO wash: suave naturals coconut
rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm & honey <3
stylers: As I Am leave in, original moxie hold up serum
@waterlily716 on YouTube, FB, & Twitter
Blog: Curls and Blossoms

Originally Posted by Sable
CK contains glycerin, a humectant. In low dew points, it can pull moisture from your hair. You might consider going without for the super dry days. In my hair, glycerin in dew points above 40 makes my hair clump better and keeps out the frizz, but I wouldn't say it provides me with "hold" (which I suppose is a totally subjective word, LOL!).

I use KCCC, which has aloe vera. The aloe is moisturizing! I also use FOTE aloe vera gel, which seems to help encourage curl. I don't find that a creamy texture necessarily indicates that a product is more or less moisturizing, and the KCCC and FOTE are definitely not creamy.

Good luck in your quest!

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
Humectants: @ dew point 40+
My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly

Originally Posted by whimaway
No way!!! Oh you've got to be kidding?! This is the second product that I've found that I really like and now they are discontinuing it too??!!! What am I to do?..Please let us know if this is true. Thank you.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
CurlJunkie Coffee-Coco curl creme. This stuff is extremely moisturizing, it's almost a leave-in/light gel for me. Love it. A bit heavy, but if you need more moisture this will work. It gives pretty good hold, too.
Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
CK & ReCoil--Activator
Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
For inquiring minds who want to know:
What does it mean if a product "weighs down your hair" or is a bit "heavy"? Does it make it limp for a couple of days? Just trying to make sure I'm on "the same page" as everyone else.
Well, heavy for me means that I can't use it everyday (which is fine, since I'm a big rotator, and different days have different needs) or else my waves will pull out. Or, the second day my hair will be less wavy.
Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
CK & ReCoil--Activator
Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
For inquiring minds who want to know:

Originally Posted by curlykey
I emailed L'oreal and this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting L'Oréal Paris on the Web and for your interest in Out of Bed - Unkempt.

This product is available and has not been discontinued.
...
We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
Barbara
Consumer Affairs Supervisor
Ref # 4868990

I specifically asked about the weightless texturizer, but I think Unkempt is the same thing. Yay! It looks like it's not discontinued after all.

3a/b low to normal porosity curls
CG method since 2006 @:-)
fotki pw: whim updated 06.05.14
CO wash: suave naturals coconut
rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm & honey <3
stylers: As I Am leave in, original moxie hold up serum
@waterlily716 on YouTube, FB, & Twitter
Blog: Curls and Blossoms

Last edited by whimaway; 12-01-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: LOOB says unkempt on the bottle

Originally Posted by curlykey
I emailed L'oreal and this is what they said:

This product is available and has not been discontinued.
...
We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,