Old 10-05-2008, 07:10 AM   #1

Join Date: Jan 2007
Default Suggestions For New Curl Cream?

I need recommendations for a curl cream to alternate with Re:Coil. In the winter I have to switch from gels to creams for the extra moisture. I'd like a cream that doesn't have mag. sulfate to alternate with my Re:Coil so my hair doesn't dry out. Thanks for any ideas. Oh, almost forgot, I use CK under creams for hold.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #2

amy51373's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008

Loreal out of bed is pretty good for a curl cream. No mag sulfate but it does have a water soluble cone. Also the Biotera curl cream at Sallys is a good one. Then of course Boots or KCCC but they're not as easily available. I pretty much rotate Recoil, Boots, KCCC, Biotera and now LOOB (yeah I'm a PJ)
mostly 3a/i/F
Modified CG since Feb 2008
Rotating a lot!
Blog: http://amy51373.blogspot.com/
amy51373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #3

Join Date: Sep 2008

I second the L'Oreal Out of Bed Weightless Texturizer. I used it yesterday for the first time and had GREAT hair all day, but this morning woke up to so-so hair. I'm thinking the LOOB needs something with it for hold (I don't know what kind of hold CK offers, never tried it).
3b/c, CG 9/18/08
Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
onethousandcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #4

Join Date: Jan 2007

I have KCCC, does anyone have any luck combing it through the hair? I've always scrunched it, but I'm liking combing the products through lately for more volume and a little looser curl. I tried it once but it made it hard to comb (sticky), and my hair turned out kind of straight.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #5

amy51373's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008

I have yet to be able to comb any products in yet. If I do I get stringy curls instead of clumpy ones. I'll probably start experimenting with that once I'm done with my current Boots experiment. I think there are some curlies who are having good luck with combing it in though.
mostly 3a/i/F
Modified CG since Feb 2008
Rotating a lot!
Blog: http://amy51373.blogspot.com/
amy51373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #6

Join Date: Feb 2006

MOP-C Curl Defining Cream is just lovely. No cones, no proteins, great scent. Best I have used. Try a board search
joya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #7

rudeechick's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by joya View Post
The Biotera Curl creme is definetly a decent alternative - its cheap and readily available. But for me the Innersense QCCC is the BEST!

Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
rudeechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:08 PM   #8

aislin's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008

I consider KCCC as more of a "gel" then a curl creme.
I never really know how to classify this either. I know it says on the packaging that it's a natural "gel" but it's also supposed to be a curling custard. For me it works somewhere between a curl cream and a gel. Not really enough hold by itself, but certainly did help give me better defined waves and some curls.

Is Bioterra the sally knockoff?
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #9

rudeechick's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by aislin View Post

Is Bioterra the sally knockoff?
Biotera is sold at Sallys... dont believe its a Knock off... think its a line theycarry. Their gel and curl creme are VERY adequate.

As for the KCCC - it is in a class all by itself. Its clearly not just a curl creme, but it surely doesnt give yu gel like hold. I do get super bouncy body from it, and nice soft shiny LOOSE curls - but hold is NOT its strong suit.

I've only been CG since May - can't WAIT to use KCCC in the cold weather!
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
rudeechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #10

Join Date: Jan 2007

I forgot about QCCC, I think I still have some from last winter. I can't remember why I stopped using it. I never tried Mop-C, there is a store that carries it local so I might try it also.

What would you recommend using with QCCC for hold?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 AM   #11

aislin's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by aislin View Post

Is Bioterra the sally knockoff?

I've only been CG since May - can't WAIT to use KCCC in the cold weather!
Hey thanks for the clarification on the Bioterra. I'm always getting that confused with another brand that sounds similar... Maybe I was thinking of Biosilk. I've only been using KCCC since about June too, and I know I've heard people putting it away for the winter because it just loosens things up too much, but I can't wait to try it out either!
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #12

myoctober's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008

hey does anyone know if they're discontinuing LOOB?? it's on clearance at my local Walgreens.
myoctober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #13

waterlily716's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007

Originally Posted by myoctober View Post
gah! I hope not. LOOB has been around forever (or at least it seems like that). I am gong to check the internet now...

hmmmm

3a/b low porosity curls | hip length when stretched!
CG method since 2006 @:-)
fotki pw: whim updated 01.06.14
Old 11-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #14

ReddishRocks's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008

Originally Posted by Sable View Post
CK contains glycerin, a humectant. In low dew points, it can pull moisture from your hair. You might consider going without for the super dry days. In my hair, glycerin in dew points above 40 makes my hair clump better and keeps out the frizz, but I wouldn't say it provides me with "hold" (which I suppose is a totally subjective word, LOL!).

I use KCCC, which has aloe vera. The aloe is moisturizing! I also use FOTE aloe vera gel, which seems to help encourage curl. I don't find that a creamy texture necessarily indicates that a product is more or less moisturizing, and the KCCC and FOTE are definitely not creamy.

Good luck in your quest!

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
Humectants: @ dew point 40+
My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly
ReddishRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #15

hmmmm
No way!!! Oh you've got to be kidding?! This is the second product that I've found that I really like and now they are discontinuing it too??!!! What am I to do?..Please let us know if this is true. Thank you.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
curlykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #16

TillyMunchyWaves's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008

CurlJunkie Coffee-Coco curl creme. This stuff is extremely moisturizing, it's almost a leave-in/light gel for me. Love it. A bit heavy, but if you need more moisture this will work. It gives pretty good hold, too.
Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
For inquiring minds who want to know:
TillyMunchyWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #17

Join Date: Aug 2008

What does it mean if a product "weighs down your hair" or is a bit "heavy"? Does it make it limp for a couple of days? Just trying to make sure I'm on "the same page" as everyone else.
Greatcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #18

TillyMunchyWaves's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008

Well, heavy for me means that I can't use it everyday (which is fine, since I'm a big rotator, and different days have different needs) or else my waves will pull out. Or, the second day my hair will be less wavy.
Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture

waterlily716's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007

Originally Posted by curlykey View Post

I emailed L'oreal and this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting L'Oréal Paris on the Web and for your interest in Out of Bed - Unkempt.

This product is available and has not been discontinued.
...
We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
Barbara
Consumer Affairs Supervisor
Ref # 4868990

I specifically asked about the weightless texturizer, but I think Unkempt is the same thing. Yay! It looks like it's not discontinued after all.

3a/b low porosity curls | hip length when stretched!
CG method since 2006 @:-)
fotki pw: whim updated 01.06.14
CO wash: suave naturals coconut
rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm & honey <3
stylers: KCKT leave in, curl keeper, Aussie IF gel
color: henna
my CG method article, blog, & my youtube videos

Last edited by whimaway; 12-01-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: LOOB says unkempt on the bottle
waterlily716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #20

Originally Posted by curlykey View Post

I emailed L'oreal and this is what they said:

This product is available and has not been discontinued.
...
We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,