Sedusa?

OK, so it's been about, oh.. four whole hours since I purchased anything hair-related (this time it was almost a hundred bucks at KBB, but who can resist that deal?). Soo, I'm just reading a few threads here, when I notice CurlyGirlFla's sig. I mean, I've noticed it many times- who could *not* check out her routines knowing what a glorious head of hair she's got? But this time my eyes locked in on SEDUSA. I guess I never thought much of it, because I have a Sedu straight iron (they're very good, btw), and I figured it was some new variation. But no. I did a bit of poking around, and I think I probably have to have this. Somebody is literally going to have to come to my house and hide my credit cards- I'm nuts, and I know it!

What do you have to say about the Sedusa, curlies?? The most current thread that came up on my search was back in 1/08, and Gretchen remarked that she felt it'd be unlikely CurlMart would be stocking the Sedusa again in the future due to problems that sound similar to that of the first wave of Devafusers sold without the SunDryer. Since the Sedusa is back in stock, am I to assume those issues have been sorted? If so, what's the general concensus of opinion on the Sedusa- please chime in, CGF, in particular; you're the only one I know who has one, gorgeous!

Is it possible that this tool is as nifty as it appears? Dare I hope?

2C/3A, slightly past BSL.
i'm also really interested in finding out about this
Most people on this board don't like the sedusa (some say it takes too long to dry hair, some had trouble getting it to fit their dryer, others got hair caught in the coils...), but I've had mine for, what, 3 years-since Curlmart first had them. I still use it everyday, except if I travel 'cause it's so darn big. The only issue I ever had is the actual plastic-since the end of the dryer sits a little distance from the inside of the diffuser bowl, I always used a higher heat, which actually caused the inside of the diffuser to warp. So the coily things are not all straight up-and-down anymore, but it still works great for me. I never had the coils get caught in my hair, and I get better spirals/clumps from this drying method than any other. I think it's best for longish hair, and I love that all my hair can fit into the bowl. If you can find a HUGE diffuser bowl without the coils, it would probably do the same thing-let me know if you do find one, lol! I also have the conair pro diffuser, which used to be my big one-it's good, but not as good for me. The sedusa was so worth the money for me, but, still, I'm the minority-do more searches to get a full picture. HTH, and thanks for the kind words
Thanks, CGF! You've given me lots to think about. Looking at the contraption, I'd have guessed that the spiral rods, fingers, or whatever they should be called would be the more important "innovation" as opposed to the increased bowl size.

A few more questions, if you don't mind? Ordinarily I'd just PM you, but since there's at least one other poster who's interested, I'll keep the thread moving. Anyone else who has input, please chime in, as well!

1) Do you ever find you get those weird flips or bends at the end, as some end up with when using the pixiecurl method?

2) When you use your Sedusa, is it the only diffuser you use? Also, do you do the circular motion described in order to get increased volume, or just plop your hair in the bowl?

When I diffuse, I typically use my bowl type for the "heavy lifting", and my Devafuser for the roots- I like volume and *hate* flat roots. The videos I've seen mention how to use the Sedusa to dry root area, and I wonder if maybe that process would cancel out some of the extra volume you'd get in using the Sedusa (maybe it's still stuck in my mind that the spiral rods are more key than the bowl size)?

3) Did you use the Sedusa to achieve the style in your avatar pic? I'm 97.5% sure I'm not lying when I say that if I had hair like that, I'd abandon this maniacal search for new products and techniques- or at least slow it waay down.

I'm still sifting through old threads. It seems that the Sedusa made it back into CurlMart stock only fairly recently. Several of the hits I've recv'd are your sig, CGF- lol! I'm literally sitting here with my wallet in my lap, and my willpower waning. So if anyone besides CGF feels like imparting some advice (pro OR con), please do! By all means, save a girl from herself!

2C/3A, slightly past BSL.
Apparently the Sedusa is still not available at CurlMart, and my google result was simply a cached page.

Originally Posted by KindaWavy
Your hair has to be pretty long, like CGF's, to go down into it enough for it to be any different from any other diffuser. Mine is below shoulder length, but with layers, the crown isn't long enough to reach down in there.

One thing I DO like about it is the way it attaches to the dryer with that holster thingie - that would be an improvement to most other diffusers, especially those that use the elastic band the soon gets too loose to hold.
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - med./fine, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
I have wanted it just because its out there but being so hair tool inept I can just see me getting that thing stuck to my head and having to have it cut off.

So - it's a good thing my hair is too short for it but I was very interested in it when it first showed up on the boards.

Hi, here is the website for Sedusa.

"Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "

Originally Posted by auntnett
It is intriguing, isn't it? My hair is a few inches longer than BSL (and I intend to keep growing it), so I'm dying to try it!

Originally Posted by xcptnl
I wonder if that'd be called a Sedusectomy? LOL

Originally Posted by JerseyCurl
YES! Love you!! I've been getting all kinds of mom and pops-type UK stores- and due to my inexperience with international shipping, I was pretty leery of ordering with no published remarks on shipping to the US. I feel much better with the link you gave me, and placed my order not 2 minutes ago. Thanks so much, JerseyCurl!!

Now that the PJ frenzy is momentarily satiated, I can go try out my KCCC without having the shakes. It arrived today- yay!!

Originally Posted by auntnett

I wonder if that'd be called a Sedusectomy? LOL

Originally Posted by JerseyCurl

Originally Posted by KindaWavy
You are welcome. Let me know how it works out for you.
"Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
Well, it looks like you already took care of business, KW! The diffuser fits best on the smaller nozzle dryers, and I do like the band to secure it. I've had two different dryers-my current one is even a bit too small, but the band holds it wonderfully. What did it end up costing direct from the manufacturer-not sure what the currency conversion is offhand? I never do any circular motions-just plop my hair in like I plop in my curlease. Just remember to use a med-to-low heat. I think people with straight hair or waves would greatly benefit from the spiral fixtures, but the big bowl is what does it for me. It doesn't speed drying time, but it doesn't take me any longer than a standard diffuser. Others mentioned they thought it took way too long to dry their hair, so it wasn't worth it for them. Good luck with this and all your new stuff
i bought a sedusa a while ago, i have 3a below shoulder length hair and whilst liking the size of the bowl my hair did get tangled in the coils. In the end i pulled out the innner plastic bit with the coils attatched and used pliers to cut them of at the base without creating more holes and then put ot back in. So now i have a huge bowl, may seem a bit extreme but works for me and it was cheap via ebay to start with.