Donna Marie--Bad News for PJs

Knowing that I was looking for some more natural curl enhancing products, a fellow curly suggested I check out the Donna Marie curl creme--despite never using it herself. I'll make a note that there is some discussion of this company on the 4a board. When they were starting up, they are accused of "planting" positive reviews on some other boards. I decided to order because their products are different, reasonably priced and they don't charge an arm and a leg for shipping. Regretfully, I only ordered sample sizes--but am about to place an order for full sized products. The website is:

I've used the Lock and Twist Pudding and the CoCo Curling Butter.

Lock and Twist Pudding Ingredients: Deionized water, aloe vera gel, carbomer, kokum butter, mango butter, sweet almond oil, flax seed gel extract, hibiscus extract, carrot seed extract, burdock root extract, agave nectar extract, silver citrate, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance.

I love this stuff! I got incredible soft, tight, bouncy curls. At least as good, if not better, than KCCC. Hair dried faster, didn't need to be scrunched and it didn't "darken" my hair color.

Coco Curl Butter Ingredients: Organic combination of Deionized water, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Honey, Linum usitatissimum (Flax seed gel) extract, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Coconut oil, Prunus Amygdalus (sweet almond) Oil, carbomer, glycerin, Palm Stearic acid, Emulsifying wax NF, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, tocopherol (vitamin e), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis) Extract, Potassium sorbate, Silver citrate, Citric acid and fragrance.

Not quite as curly as with the Lock and Twist Pudding, but still very nice. Also dried soft, bouncy and no need to crunch.

There were two other products in the travel pack. A detangler and a daily conditioner. Both had castor oil, which my hair hates--so it will be passed on to another deserving pj. The travel pack is only $12 for a decent amount of four products.

The Lock and Twist Pudding may get HG status for me and I like it as well as anything I'm currently using--but I've only used it twice. The CoCo Curl Butter was only used once. It deserves a place in the rotation, I don't know if it will make HG status. These products are definitely worth a look see.

ETA: Forgot to mention the incredible volume.

Last edited by kathymack; 10-27-2008 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Added comment
darn you Kathymack *shakes fist*

did you use anything else with the Lock and Twist? What place did it fit into with your routine? and how much did you use?
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
Oh Kathy........HOW do you live with yourself!!!!

I see a new trend approaching and FAAAAST!!!!!!
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

You guys are quick! I feel that it's my job to sacrifice myself in an effort to find good, natural products for the rest of you to try, LOL. I have to say, I was surprised at how incredible this stuff is. The best news is it's reasonably priced. I'll add that to the original post.

I just did leave in and Lock and Twist or CoCo Curl. I don't have as much hair as either of you--and I never use a lot of product. Just a few pea sized amounts to all the sections--raked, scrunched, DevaFused for a few minutes and finished off with radiant dryer after air drying. I don't use gel. Curls and volume last all day.

I know that a lot of people complain that their hair takes much longer to dry with the KCCC. Trust me, KCCC still has an honored place in the rotation. These products are very light and I used very little. No learning curve for great hair. I suspect they will be just as good for the wavies. Interesting, the website suggests the CoCo Curl for 2s and 3s and the Lock and Twist Pudding for 4. It was great on my fine 3as!

Let me know what you do. Or, if you have questions--ask.

I suspect they will be just as good for the wavies
OH NOOOOOOOOOOO! There it is, the MAGIC words. Now you've done it, here I am thinking well a lot of this stuff just doesn't work on wavies.....

going to check out the link now........
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

*sigh* crap.

You know, I do well with not buying new stuff for my hair for about 2-3 weeks... and then something like this comes along and I HAVE to have it...

Probably be ordering a shampoo bar or three from you as well soon :P Del won't stop pestering me
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
D`amn, you Kathymack ...I've been looking for something to rotate KCCC with forever....and no money...I need to stop coming here....that is all....
I mentioned wavy hair because I know there was a lot of questions about the KCCC working on the looser curls and waves. This stuff is light. With the volume I'm getting, I don't think it will weigh down the waves.

A lot of thought as to the "consequences" of such a post went into this. I did it because of the reasonably priced samples. At this point, I think you guys know I would not post a non quality item. If you can use castor oil, the travel pack is a steal. One of the reasons I sell the bars and KBB samples is that I want people to get to try the quality products for a minimal outlay of money. I know that it's very difficult to keep up with all of the raves on these boards. I think a 16oz jar of KCC at $26 isn't unreasonable for the quantity. The fact that they don't have samples and smaller sizes makes it out of reach for a lot of people to try without knowing it they like it--especially when you factor in another $10 for shipping.

Since it's my thread, I guess I can spout off a little, LOL. It's only a tiny bit off the topic.

Originally Posted by Curly Girl Fla
CGF, you can use a lot of product on your hair that I can't touch. From what you report about your hair, I think this might work well for you. If you're only going to try one thing--for you I'd recommend the Lock and Twist Pudding. I know your hair can take the "heavier" products. If you can manage it, the travel pack would give you the opportunity to try four products--and I know you can do castor oil.

Originally Posted by kathymack
lol, my b*tching is in no way against you KM. I'm just mad at my own inability to stiffle the urge to buy everything you reccomend because I love your hair... :P
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
Oh gosh! Something else to try, I'm off to check the link out.

I've gotten some Jane Carter Twist and Lock at Whole Foods, I wonder if it is similar. I need to look and compare ingredients I guess.
~ Gracie ~
Stay at home mama to CCB and a new one on the way in July!
CG since Oct 13, 2008
3a/bish
currently re evaluating my product stash...
Seriously, I guess this is as good a place as any to say what a great service you do provide for all of us & how much we appreciate your input and samples . So, at the risk of being even more mushy, thank you! There are still so many things that you have tested/recommended that I really want/need/must try. lol, but I basically can't buy much at this time, so I don't know what to get. I've been relying on FSG, Hairveda's Whipped Gelly & KCCC, but I agree-based on your input and the site's product description, that Lock and Twist Pudding sounds so "me"....after my daughter's birthday ....
For something that works like KCCC, I'll pass. KCCC is cheaper ounce for ounce (0.64oz per dollar, whereas the pudding is 0.60oz per dollar), and I can get it locally.
Location: North NJ or NYC

Originally Posted by MimsTX
Mims, thanks for the compliments. I saw it as questioning if it was for you--not the complaining.

mysteryflavored, I bring this up because there are a lot of us who need to rotate products. If you can use the same product all of the time, you are very lucky. The fact that you don't have to pay postage because of the product availability in NYC is even better. Throw in being a "well known" hair model with special connections--and it's the cherry on top of the sundae! I little off topic, but I will be forever grateful for to you for you KCCC video. It's how I apply all of my products now. And you have managed to teach at least one old dog a new trick. So thanks again from the bottom of my heart! My curls thank you, too.

I have seen the ad for this brand on the front page and even checked out the site but I resisted. Now I think all resistance is gone. Darnit!

Just as an FYI - www.azizabeautysupply.com is a bit cheaper (50 cents off the products I was looking at) if you sign up to be a member and 1st time orders has a promo code of FLY02 and get 15% off. The shipping was pretty reasonable as well at $5.60

Last edited by xcptnl; 10-27-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Originally Posted by kathymack
You're sweet. (:

I definitely understand the need to rotate -- I almost never use the same products two days in a row. I guess I was just commenting mostly to point out the price.

The ingredients do look really good, I just can't justify paying the extra $$$.
Location: North NJ or NYC

Originally Posted by xcptnl
Wow-thanks, and I hate you, for sharing this site! Now there are other goodies to tempt us, too ...
thanks Kathy - just when I thought it was safe..
ok, so question - KBB or Donna Marie? or mix the two? I'm liking the KBB line... quite nice.
Also, if KCCC didn't work too well for me, is this worth a shot? I too was attracted to the product when it first came out, wanted to give it a whirl... sounds healthy!
can you use it with KC???
Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...
Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

for the love of the lens...

www.animafoto.wordpress.com
!@#$% ^&*()! I can't keep up!!!
I was just about to place a big 'ol curlmart order for KCCC and some Innersense QCC (and a bunch of other stuff I don't need), now I have to start aaaallllll over. I'm armed and dangerous right now - my DH just bought a new snowboard and some other gear, so I have immunity with hair purchases right now.

KM, is this stuff better than IQCC?
April
3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

thanks Kathy - just when I thought it was safe..
can you use it with KC???
Originally Posted by TaraVictoria
I think it's very different than KCCC. I haven't tried it with anything else. I've only used the Lock and Twist twice and the CoCo Curl Butter once--but they were too good not to pass on to my fellow curlies. Several of us have been searching for more natural curl enhancers. At the price point of the travel kit ($12) I think it's worth a shot. I couldn't use the other two products because of the castor oil. If your hair tolerates castor oil, you have it made.

So not to have fifteen extra posts, I'll try to answer some.

April, it's "lighter" than IQCC and the price is better. I have to be careful because the IQCC can weigh my hair down.

Xcptnl, I don't know how you do it. I think I'm a "shopper" but you are a SHOPPER! I did a web search for Donna Marie and Donna Marie coupon before placing my big order and came up with nothing. You are truly my hero. Your hair is similar to mine and we like many of the same things, so I think you'll like this line.