Could someone explain this KY thing to me?

Haven't been around the board in a while and noticed that some people were mentioning KY... I thought, surely that can't be KY as in... KY jelly. Then I saw the abbrev. list and yeah, it is!

I waded through a few pages to find a thread explaining how to use it, but no dice.

So, a couple questions:

1. What type of KY?

2. How do you apply it?

3. If it works/doesn't work for you, what's your curl type?

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm totally intrigued...
i'm a 3a... i think! still new and getting this all figured out.
Hi there. There are quite a bit of threads on KY jelly. These should shed some light on the topic:

KY jelly might be my new friend!

Curl Keeper versus KY

Ok, i'm finally convinced (KY/CK)

I use KY and prefer the jelly over the liquid because of ease of application. I apply it just like one would CK - before a leave in.
2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

Location: SoCal
wow....did not know ppl were putting lube in their hair!!
3B~Fine, porus, and really long
HG's~Plopping and Homemade FSG!! Thank you BB
Proud To Be Egyptian!
"Your head is like a crown on you.
It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
I am captured by your flowing curls."
Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)
I buy Walmart's tube of Equate -- 4 oz; cut it with 4 oz of water and Wa LA -- 8 ounces and acts exactly like CK on my hair. I think the Equate is like $3.99.
-- Equate brand KY was like $1.78 for 4 oz
Yup, I use the generic one too. Works great for me. I replied in a similar thread yesterday. I too was very curious as to how KY would work in your hair, its surprising.
3a/3b combo
Current products:
Poo:1-2x/week Burts Bees Super Shiny
Cowash: Suave Naturals Coconut
Condish: Loreal Vive Nutri Gloss
Styling Products: KY, LOOB, trying KCCC and KCKT
Really like vinegar rinses and honey
Originally Posted by bettinfla
AFter you mix this, what do you keep it in? (And you are talking about the gel version of the equate version of ky, right?)

Originally Posted by ScrappyTam
Doing the bump....

Originally Posted by bettinfla
I did a search of abbreviations by have no idea what Wa LA is ... care to explain?
2b/3a in Vancouver, Canada
loving my own homemade Satsuma scented agave spiked FSG

yup, I'm an unabashed PJ!
For up to $10 off at iherb.com, use this code: DEY827
My guess is that it is the americanized version of "voila". I've noticed that many people do say wa-la instead of voila. BTW, in case you didn't know...voila means something along the lines of "there you have it!"

Originally Posted by ScrappyTam
Thanks for the explanation!

So bashful! I thought it was another product that she had added ... hilarious! Thought it was some product with L.A. in the name! And here I was doing this mad search!

I know voilą since I speak French but since it was in two words I didn't even connect it with that. I am always thinking products when on this site so ....

tee hee!
2b/3a in Vancouver, Canada
loving my own homemade Satsuma scented agave spiked FSG

yup, I'm an unabashed PJ!
For up to $10 off at iherb.com, use this code: DEY827
One thing about KY that took me awhile to figure out was that it's a humectant. I think a common misconception is that a humectant draws moisture to the hair. This is true IF the moisture available in the air is greater than what's available in your hair... otherwise, the humectant can draw moisture OUT of your hair (horrors! ). This is important to me because I live in a very dry part of the planet (Colorado).

Here's the Curl Chemist article that includes this information: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlre...tants-and-hair

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
Humectants: @ dew point 40+
My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly
Sorry about the Wa La -- it does mean -- there you have it. I have an old CK 8 oz bottle that I put the Equate gel in and fill it to the top w/warm water and shake. To me it works EXACTLY like CK and $1.78 for 8 oz -- you can't beat it. My hair is similar to Knotty's (even her new length) so I have to use it. Yesterday I tried CK on soaking wet hair and then the LA Looks Curly gel and I don't plop -- seems to flatten it. I just go all over it squeezing the moisture out either in a micro fiber towel or an old, old soft t-shirt. It came out wonderful.