Old 11-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #1

swirldrops's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Default Herbal Essences Hello Hydration - protein free?

I'm trying to refrain from protein and have a bottle of Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner. I don't see any protein in the ingredients, but am I missing a cleverly disguised one?

Water; Stearyl Alcohol; Cyclopentasiloxane; Cetyl Alcohol; Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine; Dimethicone; Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract; Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Milk; Fragrance; Glutamic Acid; Benzyl Alcohol; EDTA; Methylchloroisothiazolinone; Methylisothiazolinone; Blue 1
Type: Course & thick. According to everyone's input, 2c w/ 3a potential.
Color: Brown w/ highlights & annoying grays which I color.
Length: Past shoulders w/ layers.
Issues: Dryness, knots & more dryness!
Poo: Deva Lo-Poo 1 x week, Clarify 1-2 x month
CO Wash: Suave Tropical Coconut (but looking for something else b/c I suspect protein issues)
Condish: GVPCB, LVPNG
Leave-Ins: Was loving KBB Milk & Nectar, but overused them. Usually just leave-in some of what I CO with.
Styling: Biolage Gelee
swirldrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #2

Arjae's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008

I'm pretty sure coconut milk has some protein in it.
3A, medium fine. Currently avoiding shampoos, 'cones, 'xanes and sulfates. Hair length - a bit beyond BSL. Mostly CG since July 2, 2008.
Arjae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #3

curlyjenn10's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008

Here's the list from RCC. It looks like it may be ok.

Originally Posted by redcelticcurls View Post
Anything that says hydrolized will be a protein on your hair.

Anything that says protein or amino acid.

Grain extracts. Grains contain protein. Oils from grains should be all fat, thus protein free.

Some extracts can act up for some. Brewer's yeast extract in EMBC dried me out.

Coconut oil isn't a protein, but it helps with protein retention, so it bothers some people.

Jojoba oil is actually a wax and has some protein. I can't stand it alone, but I don't mind it in somethng else.
CG since 6/15/08!
Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

curlyjenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #4

helloitsio's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by swirldrops View Post

I don't see any hidden proteins but I do see some MAJOR CG issues. The dreaded bolded 'cones. If I recall, HH was recently reformulated without the cones.
2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

Location: SoCal
helloitsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #5

swirldrops's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007

Oooo curlyjenn10, that list was just what I was looking for! Thanks!

And helloitsio... Aha! I'd like to avoid the cones too so thanks for pointing that out!
Type: Course & thick. According to everyone's input, 2c w/ 3a potential.
Color: Brown w/ highlights & annoying grays which I color.
Length: Past shoulders w/ layers.
Issues: Dryness, knots & more dryness!
Poo: Deva Lo-Poo 1 x week, Clarify 1-2 x month
Condish: GVPCB, LVPNG
Styling: Biolage Gelee
swirldrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #6

Join Date: May 2008

I tried the reformulated kind a couple of times (thanks to whichever blogger posted it was in Target's travel sized aisle. The cone didn't bother me, both on days a low-pooed and days I didn't. However, I found its slip lacking, and it didn't really keep me moisturized.
So..um...I kinda fell off the CG wagon. I got sick of long curly hair about 6 months ago. I currently have a short a-line, which I flat iron, although I also wear it wavy sometimes. I still use sulfate-free poos (I'm madly in love with the Bodyshop's rainforest moisture) and silicone free conditioners.
Want to get money back on your Drugstore.com, Walgreen and Sally Beauty purchases? Check out Sunshine Rewards!
Hedy is offline   Reply With Quote