-   -   KCKT & KCCC - I'm on the fence (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/60950-kckt-kccc-im-fence.html)

toofrizzy 11-06-2008 07:17 AM

KCKT & KCCC - I'm on the fence

Well I have to say I had very high expecations from this combo due to rave reviews on here. I have thick, dry 3c hair and I have now used it a few times and here's what I think....

Plus points:
Great curl separation and definition which lasted even in damp weather.
Elongates the hair so it lays 'down' instead of 'out.'
Great second day hair.

Negatives:
KT is nowhere near as moisturising as my previous leave in (SheaM) and left my hair a little dry.
Hair felt 'crispy' (I'm not used to that gel feel).
Where my hair is looser on the sides (more 3b than 3c) it looked a little stringy and straggly.

Overall I think the products are great if curl definition/hold is really important to you - my guess is that it maybe more suitable for type 4 hair rather than finer type 2/3 hair. Would I buy it again? - if it were available in the UK - yes - but is it worth the shipping from the US - for me probably not as I had to fork out $30 just for the shipping cost alone.

All in all a good combo but probably overall not any better than some cheaper alternatives.

DEL2C 11-06-2008 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by toofrizzy (Post 780873)

Plus points:
Great curl separation and definition which lasted even in damp weather.
Elongates the hair so it lays 'down' instead of 'out.'
Great second day hair.

Negatives:
Hair felt 'crispy' (I'm not used to that gel feel).

My hair is a THICK Porous 2C and it loves KCKT/KCCC it works on all types of hair. Maybe you need a stronger hold gel on top? Check the other threads on how people are using it, you might need to modify a thing or two :)

MimsTX 11-06-2008 07:56 AM

lol, it's so funny how different everything is on everyone's hair. KCNT/KCCC are almost TOO moisturizing for my hair. If I don't put a gel over KCCC, I end up with really poofy, ill-definied curls/waves that are super soft to the touch but can't hold on to much of anything.

kathymack 11-06-2008 08:00 AM

I didn't find KCKT moisturizing enough. I use either KBB nectar or Giovanni Direct as my leave in. No gel.

whatsercurl 11-06-2008 08:46 AM

I'm totally sitting on this fence with KCCC also.

Originally Posted by MimsTX (Post 780905)

Me too (at least KCCC seems to be). In fact, I, the laziest curly on here, have done my hair 4 times in just ONE week trying to figure out a routine for KCCC. Plopping as we speak - AGAIN! :angry7:

I'm using GLI instead of KCKT also.

CaliforniaWavy 11-06-2008 09:04 AM

I'm experiencing similar results, though my hair is very different - more like 2b with some 2c.

I SO want KCCC to work for me - I keep trying it different ways hoping that I will find what works. I have been using KBB nectar underneath also.

AprilnUtah 11-06-2008 09:23 AM

I love KCCC now, but I had to learn the best combo to make it work for me. I prefer KBB nectar as a leave-in instead of KCKT, and I have to use a drop of gel on my ends or I get a little poofy.
For me, the "crunch" that forms with KCCC, and most gels, helps reduce my frizz by keeping my hair in the curl formation undisturbed while I'm diffusing, then when I scrunch it out it's all perfect and my hair doesn't feel producty (unless I use too much).

toofrizzy 11-06-2008 10:43 AM

Thanks for all your comments - I will definitely persist with the KC combo as I know some things need to be used a few times before you 'get it right.' (and also I have spent to much on the stuff to merely discard it!!).

Kathy Mack - Giovanni Direct and KBB milk are next on my list of leave ins to try so it's great that you say they are more moisturising than the KT - I need LOTS of moisture!!!

kathymack 11-06-2008 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by toofrizzy (Post 781170)

If you need moisture, you want to try all of the KBB products--nectar/milk/cream/butter.

toofrizzy 11-07-2008 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by kathymack (Post 781226)

Originally Posted by toofrizzy (Post 781170)

Oh no you've gone and done it now - I just have to place an order from the KBB website right now!!!! And I promised myself no more hair stuff until all current lotions and potions were finished - never mind - an early Christams pressie to myself!

Does anyone know how long shipping to the UK takes??

kathymack 11-07-2008 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by toofrizzy (Post 782181)

Does anyone know how long shipping to the UK takes??

I am known around here as "the enabler." Who deserves wonderful products more than toofrizzy? (Everyone, substitute your own name, LOL!)

SnoWhite 11-07-2008 08:20 AM

I'm on the fence about this stuff too. For me, the KCCC worked alot better when combined with the KCNT vs. by itself, but I do still have frizz. This morning i tried it with the BRHG and I'm still a little frizzy. My curls are perfect, but frizzy. I might not be using enough or too much of one or the other.

Sunday I ordered the KBB Hair milk and I'm going to try it and see if it helps adding moisture even thought my hair is not dry.

Mint 11-07-2008 08:43 AM

Yeah... I was expecting KCKT to be my HG leave-in conditioner after hearing all the raves on this board, and the ingredients looked fantastic. However, it just doesn't moisturize/detangle like I wanted it to, especially when hair is dry (I feel I shouldn't have to reapply it in the middle of the day to get a comb through my hair!). *sigh*

spoiledcoils 11-07-2008 10:42 PM

I revisited KCCC today and once again remember why it's been relegated to the back of my closet.
It pulls my curls out so that instead of looking like ringlets, they look a bit like stretched out noodles:-(. I totally understand your "stringy" sentiments!
As much as I love how soft my hair feels, it just doesn't look good, and having been through 2 tubs of this stuff over the past year, I'd say it has had its chance!

toofrizzy 11-08-2008 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by spoiledcoils (Post 783332)

I guess some of us just have to accept that the products that work miracles for most people just don't do that much for our particular hair.

Last night I co washed my hair and used the KT with my Boots curl creme (instead of the KCCC) - my hair is definitely more mositurised and less dry so maybe it is the KCCC that dries my hair. Next time I wash I think I will try the KCCC without the KT and use a different leave in - see if that makes things any better. (Because Kathy Mack twisted my arm and forced me (LOL!!) I am just about to order the milk and butter from KBB so I will try those when they arrive).

kathymack 11-08-2008 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by toofrizzy (Post 783381)

Originally Posted by spoiledcoils (Post 783332)

Glad I could be of help :angel10:! KBB is one of the product lines that very few people haven't liked--whatever their other issues.

kat180 11-08-2008 08:34 AM

Can I ask where you bought yours? I really want to try KCCC out- I love the KCKT but Im hesitating at the money.

I also like Shea M and found another similar conditioner from this place which is really nice: http://www.handmadenaturals.co.uk/ the woman there is lovely and let me buy a sample size of the conditioner to try.