-   -   Unexpected Product success! (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/60986-unexpected-product-success.html)

rudeechick 11-06-2008 12:37 PM

Unexpected Product success!

Its horrible rainy here today, so I just did a DT all afternoon. SInce I had no hopes of decent hair, I pulled out a product I bought way back in May but hadnt tried yet - HESMU.

Rinsed out my DT then scrunched just that in and then scrunched a bit with my CE towel.

I then did a thread search on SMU and found mainly negative feedback - I was prepared for an immediate ponytail day.

But I diffused it anyway and to my surprise my hair dried nicely. No clumps but not stringy - just a full head of springy coils. Absolutely no crunch - in fact my hair is softly light - but not the bad, undefined soft. The good, light as a feather good winter hair I used to get as a teen!

Will need to update as the day wears on to see if it poofs. And tomorrow if I get 2nd day hair.

Anyone else have on-going success with this gel?

CaliforniaWavy 11-06-2008 12:40 PM

I've never used it by itself, but mainly layered over something else. Once I tried HEBE I realized I liked that better because it had a bit less crunch than the SMU. I just bought the TT gel last night and tried it out for the first time today. I have some good waves and curls that I wouldn't normally have, but I also used another new product so I'm not sure what it was that did it. I'm hoping the TT gel is the reason since it's so cheap and readily available.

rudeechick 11-06-2008 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by CaliforniaWavy (Post 781344)

all the posts i pulled up complined of crunch but i got zero..... maybe because i had just DT'd. Altho I dont get crunch with products that many others do (BRHG).

I tend to get crunch from thinner, glaze-like gels (B&A).

Let me know how you like the TT. And how you would compare the 3! The Body envy intimidates me, cause I have WAY too much body to begin with.... But I see from yer sig your hair is also 2c and thick... Can you give me more details on how that product was for you.

Thnx

gemini12 11-06-2008 01:06 PM

I really like HESMU. The combo of HESMU over KCCC is one of my best combos so far--I get decent curls and little crunch.

whatsercurl 11-06-2008 01:07 PM

I've tried the mousse not the gel. I didn't like the mousse but I should've known better since I've never liked mousse - too crispy.

Let us know how it holds up.

wildwoodflowr 11-06-2008 01:18 PM

I love Set Me Up. Body Envy felt sticky to me and didn't hold my curls as well. I get a lot of crunch with SMU but it scrunches out really easily. Definitely my favorite gel that I've tried so far.

Looking forward to hearing how its working for you

CaliforniaWavy 11-06-2008 01:32 PM

Out of all 3, the SMU gave me the most crunch, but it wasn't anything bad. I was able to scrunch it out once it was dry. I need something that produces some crunch or else I have a big frizzy mess. The only reason I tried the BE gel is because of a thread I saw on it. It seemed like a lot of people were liking that one. I wouldn't typically pick something that was for body, but I don't notice anything different with that one versus the others in terms of more body. I don't need body either, but I do need volume at my roots (the only thing that works for me there is clipping it while wet).

I do agree that the BE is the stickier of the gels. I was surprised when I went to use the TT this morning that is was not sticky and seemed lighter in my hand. I had been using the BE for a while, so I guess I got used to the stickiness of it (btw - it doesn't feel sticky in my hair, just in my hands).

I'll have to play around a bit more with the TT and see how they all compare. I'll report back if I'm still liking it after a few more days of use.

curlyjenn10 11-06-2008 01:43 PM

That's awesome! I love SMU. I switched between the two during the summer, but had pretty much been using BE for the last two months. A week or two ago I picked up SMU again. Works great over KBB nectar as a leave-in and FOTE. Even better when scrunched in between ten-min plops!

DEL2C 11-06-2008 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by gemini12 (Post 781394)

I did this too and got decent results. The thing that turns me off about SMU is the SMELL. I had to buy this on a whim when Target was out of BRHG but it does have a decent hold. I just didn't like the smell mixed up with soap bars, kccc and SMU it was just tooooooooooo much! I like that BRHG is NO SMELL

rudeechick 11-06-2008 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by gemini12 (Post 781394)

I have, like, zero sense of smell.... so somethings gotta be STRONG (Like Boots) to get to me.

MimsTX 11-06-2008 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by rudeechick (Post 781490)

Boots doesn't smell for me :confused1:

rudeechick 11-06-2008 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by MimsTX (Post 781494)

Originally Posted by rudeechick (Post 781490)

Boots doesn't smell for me :confused1:

Get out???? It smells like an old ladies closet!

MimsTX 11-06-2008 02:08 PM

rudeechick 11-06-2008 02:14 PM

Now I'm going to have to go home and stick my nose in the jar...

Do. Its smells like an old ladies handkerchief, that was stuffed in her watch band, that absorbed the smell of her overly flowery perfume. That she bought at the Pharmacy. And wore to church.

CaliforniaWavy 11-06-2008 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by rudeechick (Post 781510)

Now I'm going to have to go home and stick my nose in the jar...

That's too funny! I don't notice much of a smell with Boots either. I know it has one, but it seems light and doesn't bother me. Funny how people react differently to scents.

MimsTX 11-06-2008 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by rudeechick (Post 781510)

Now I'm going to have to go home and stick my nose in the jar...

weeeeeeeeird. huh. :shrug: now it'll probably bother me, even though it hasn't before :P

rudeechick 11-06-2008 02:32 PM

Well, its not like the scent lingers in my hair, so its no biggie.

But, I'm really liking the SMU so far! And its not 4 weeks shipping!!!:blob7:

finch 11-06-2008 03:05 PM

I got crunchy effects with all styling products until I read here about scrunching the crunch out. It just never occurred to me to do that. :oops:

I have been using the HEBE, and it scrunches out nicely, however, my curls need refreshing by midday as they are limp. So would HESMU work better?

CurlyHairedFarmer 11-06-2008 03:17 PM

I am a huge fan of HESMU gel. The crunch has always scrunched out easily for me and I get shiny, springy curls.

rudeechick 11-06-2008 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by CurlyHairedFarmer (Post 781614)

SO far my hair has held up - no poofing.

I can't wait to see if I get my usual 2nd day hair!! Dare to dream!