Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #1

Join Date: Mar 2008
Default Unexpected Product success!

Its horrible rainy here today, so I just did a DT all afternoon. SInce I had no hopes of decent hair, I pulled out a product I bought way back in May but hadnt tried yet - HESMU.

Rinsed out my DT then scrunched just that in and then scrunched a bit with my CE towel.

I then did a thread search on SMU and found mainly negative feedback - I was prepared for an immediate ponytail day.

But I diffused it anyway and to my surprise my hair dried nicely. No clumps but not stringy - just a full head of springy coils. Absolutely no crunch - in fact my hair is softly light - but not the bad, undefined soft. The good, light as a feather good winter hair I used to get as a teen!

Will need to update as the day wears on to see if it poofs. And tomorrow if I get 2nd day hair.

Anyone else have on-going success with this gel?
My Photobucket Album

Last edited by rudeechick; 11-06-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #2

Join Date: Sep 2008

I've never used it by itself, but mainly layered over something else. Once I tried HEBE I realized I liked that better because it had a bit less crunch than the SMU. I just bought the TT gel last night and tried it out for the first time today. I have some good waves and curls that I wouldn't normally have, but I also used another new product so I'm not sure what it was that did it. I'm hoping the TT gel is the reason since it's so cheap and readily available.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #3

Originally Posted by CaliforniaWavy View Post
all the posts i pulled up complined of crunch but i got zero..... maybe because i had just DT'd. Altho I dont get crunch with products that many others do (BRHG).

I tend to get crunch from thinner, glaze-like gels (B&A).

Let me know how you like the TT. And how you would compare the 3! The Body envy intimidates me, cause I have WAY too much body to begin with.... But I see from yer sig your hair is also 2c and thick... Can you give me more details on how that product was for you.

Thnx
Old 11-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #4

Join Date: Aug 2008

I really like HESMU. The combo of HESMU over KCCC is one of my best combos so far--I get decent curls and little crunch.
CG as of 8/28/08
thin/fine 2a/3a hair

Still searching for my HG's, but currently loving:
Rinse out: AOHR
Leave in: Giovanni Direct
Styling: KCCC, LOOB, TW, TT, HESMU
gemini12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #5

whatsercurl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008

I've tried the mousse not the gel. I didn't like the mousse but I should've known better since I've never liked mousse - too crispy.

Let us know how it holds up.
Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
whatsercurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #6

wildwoodflowr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008

I love Set Me Up. Body Envy felt sticky to me and didn't hold my curls as well. I get a lot of crunch with SMU but it scrunches out really easily. Definitely my favorite gel that I've tried so far.

Looking forward to hearing how its working for you
3a to 3b Medium/Coarse iii, Protein Sensitive

Occasional Cleanser: EO Products Sweet Orange Shampoo
Conditioners: VO5 or Suave Conditioners (Co-wash), GVP Conditioning Balm (Rinse Out/Leave In), AOHR (Deep Treat)
Stylers: Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel, Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Nectar (SOTC)

wildwoodflowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #7

Join Date: Sep 2008

Out of all 3, the SMU gave me the most crunch, but it wasn't anything bad. I was able to scrunch it out once it was dry. I need something that produces some crunch or else I have a big frizzy mess. The only reason I tried the BE gel is because of a thread I saw on it. It seemed like a lot of people were liking that one. I wouldn't typically pick something that was for body, but I don't notice anything different with that one versus the others in terms of more body. I don't need body either, but I do need volume at my roots (the only thing that works for me there is clipping it while wet).

I do agree that the BE is the stickier of the gels. I was surprised when I went to use the TT this morning that is was not sticky and seemed lighter in my hand. I had been using the BE for a while, so I guess I got used to the stickiness of it (btw - it doesn't feel sticky in my hair, just in my hands).

I'll have to play around a bit more with the TT and see how they all compare. I'll report back if I'm still liking it after a few more days of use.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #8

curlyjenn10's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008

That's awesome! I love SMU. I switched between the two during the summer, but had pretty much been using BE for the last two months. A week or two ago I picked up SMU again. Works great over KBB nectar as a leave-in and FOTE. Even better when scrunched in between ten-min plops!
CG since 6/15/08!
Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

curlyjenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #9

DEL2C's Avatar

Originally Posted by gemini12 View Post
I did this too and got decent results. The thing that turns me off about SMU is the SMELL. I had to buy this on a whim when Target was out of BRHG but it does have a decent hold. I just didn't like the smell mixed up with soap bars, kccc and SMU it was just tooooooooooo much! I like that BRHG is NO SMELL
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

DEL2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #10

Originally Posted by gemini12 View Post
I have, like, zero sense of smell.... so somethings gotta be STRONG (Like Boots) to get to me.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #11

Boots doesn't smell for me
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
Old 11-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #12

Boots doesn't smell for me
Get out???? It smells like an old ladies closet!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #13

Old 11-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #14

Now I'm going to have to go home and stick my nose in the jar...
Do. Its smells like an old ladies handkerchief, that was stuffed in her watch band, that absorbed the smell of her overly flowery perfume. That she bought at the Pharmacy. And wore to church.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #15

Now I'm going to have to go home and stick my nose in the jar...
That's too funny! I don't notice much of a smell with Boots either. I know it has one, but it seems light and doesn't bother me. Funny how people react differently to scents.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #16

Now I'm going to have to go home and stick my nose in the jar...

weeeeeeeeird. huh. :shrug: now it'll probably bother me, even though it hasn't before :P
Old 11-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #17

Join Date: Mar 2008

Well, its not like the scent lingers in my hair, so its no biggie.

But, I'm really liking the SMU so far! And its not 4 weeks shipping!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #18

finch's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008

I got crunchy effects with all styling products until I read here about scrunching the crunch out. It just never occurred to me to do that.

I have been using the HEBE, and it scrunches out nicely, however, my curls need refreshing by midday as they are limp. So would HESMU work better?
Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. My hair hates protein, apparently.

finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #19

CurlyHairedFarmer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Send a message via AIM to CurlyHairedFarmer

I am a huge fan of HESMU gel. The crunch has always scrunched out easily for me and I get shiny, springy curls.
3a with some 2c thrown in
pw: cow

Currently Loving:
Shampoo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Smoothing, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Beauticurls Leave-in

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers -CJ Curl Queen, CJ CCCC Lite, CJ CIAB, CJ Pattern Pusha, Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam, Mop-C Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, KCCC
CurlyHairedFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #20

Originally Posted by CurlyHairedFarmer View Post
SO far my hair has held up - no poofing.

I can't wait to see if I get my usual 2nd day hair!! Dare to dream!