Suave Naturals Detangling Properties

Hi All,

I've recently started using Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple for CO washing and I'm losing more hair than I'd like to tangles.

I bought the Suave Naturals condish because it was much less expensive than the Abba Pure Moisture condish that I was washing with. However, the Green Apple condish really isn't doing a good job of helping with tangles.

I use a wide-tooth comb to work the Abba Pure Moisture condish through my hair in the shower and it does a better job of detangling than the Suave, but it's pretty expensive. Maybe if I had a thicker Suave Naturals already on my hair from the CO wash then maybe I could use a little less Abba?

I know that some of the Suave Naturals conditioners are a little thicker than others. Can anyone tell me what their experiences have been?

Also, would it be safe to use a leave-in condish during my shower to help me detangle the tough knots (on top of the Abba I'm already conditioning with)? Because I do use Giovanni Direct Leave-In after my shower and that helps me get rid of any residual tangles pretty easily. And that is a little less expensive than the Abba .

Thanks for your help!
Hair Type: Fine to medium below shoulder-length 3b hair
Using: Avalon Organics Volumizing Shampoo, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Herbal Essences Body Envy Gel
Experimenting With: Live Clean Moisturizing Conditioner, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Condish

Mod-CG since November 2008
How long are you waiting with the conditioner in your hair before detangling? Mine's in for at least a few minutes, even when I used Suave. That makes it a lot easier. I also used a good amount, especially on tangles. It's pretty cheap, so I never felt bad about using a lot. That was also when I was co-washing with it though.
CG since 6/15/08!
Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

You're right, Suave Naturals conditioners can be very different when it comes to detangling/thickness (at least for me, anyway). I personally was not impressed by the detangling properties of Green Apple, Ocean Breeze, and Mountain Strawberry. Strawberry is the best out of those. However, I do like Suave Coconut and Vanilla Floral conditioner a lot for detangling. They smell yummy too!

Also, I think your hair should be fine if you combined a leave-in with rinse-out conditioner.
2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
Thanks for the quick response, Mint. I have noticed that a lot of people here use Suave Naturals Coconut Condish, so I might give that a try. Thank goodness Suave is so cheap :P.

But I think I might give the 'leave-in condish in the shower' method a shot first because Giovanni Direct Leave-In really does work wonders on my tangles. Also, my shower is quickly filling up with different hair products (thanks to all the PJs on this forum ).

Originally Posted by Mint

Mod-CG since November 2008
I would switch to the Suave Tropical Coconut, it has more slip in it. I didn't care for the others at all.

Hi All,

Thanks for your help!
Originally Posted by frenzied_frizz
PW: auburnsunset
Happy to be 3B!
My Fav's
Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner
Nextimage Curl & Wavy Curl Defining Conditioner & Detangler (never leave home w/o it)
Fantasia IC Sparklelites Gel
Bed Head TIGI Moisture Maniac
Suave Healthy Curls Curl Creme
I have tried the other Suave Naturals as well and only the tropical coconut works well for my hair.
Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
Fine, medium porosity
Right now I am using GVP conditioning balm for cowash and RO,
my hair loves protein.
for styling my base is BRHG I can use it alone but prefer with Curl Keeper. I sulphate poo once a month or so as needed.
I liked the Suave Naturals Coconut and the Tangerine, both were the same thickness (pretty thick, much better than VO5 which is pretty runny).
3b/c, CG 9/18/08
Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
The coconut was the best for detangling by far, but I have had luck with the cucumber as well.
3a with some 2c thrown in
pw: cow

Currently Loving:
Shampoo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Smoothing, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Beauticurls Leave-in

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers -CJ Curl Queen, CJ CCCC Lite, CJ CIAB, CJ Pattern Pusha, Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam, Mop-C Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, KCCC
I use both the Tropical Coconut and the Vanilla Floral.

Generally I use the Coconut to detangle my roots and distribute the remaining conditioner to about midway. And I use the Vanilla Floral (which is much thicker, smells better, and gives my hair a buttery feel which I have NEVER felt before this conditioner!) to go over that section and I don't have to keep going over and over.

When my hair is divided into 5 sections, I use about 5 quarter sized globs of Coconut and 5 fifty-cent piece sized globs of Vanilla Floral.

However, I use this amount because I leave it all in. These are the only products I use for a good hair day! That's how marvelous it is!
3a/b hair waistlength when wet

Using
Suave Naturals Coconut for cowashing
Suave Naturals Vanilla Floral for conditioning, detangling, leave-in, styling product, etc.

Going Product Free!
I use both the Tropical Coconut and the Vanilla Floral.

Originally Posted by tiffanydb
Wow Tiffany! I can't believe you only use conditioner as your styling product! That's so very different than most of the curlies on this forum. What texture of hair do you have?

Mod-CG since November 2008
I have 3a/3b hair with some bits of 2c in the front.

If you have the frizzoff ad to the side of your screen, it looks exactly like the black girl's hair.

The secret is to not be afraid to use conditioner. At the rate I'm going now, I use about a family sized bottle in about 10 days or less. Put as much as you think you need, plus a another small glob for good measure. My hair looks like a more weighed down version of her hair. (Think loose 3a /tight 2c)
Don't rinse it out!

1)Section hair into five sections.
(upper left, upper center, upper right, back left, back right)
2) While still sectioned, drench under running water.
3)Start at the top center and detangle as much as possible with water. Put quarter sized amount of Coconut (or Vanilla) on roots and distribute as much as possible. Finger comb up and away from the head. (I finger comb in four directions on each sections. PM me if you would like me to clarify.)
4) Use a fifty cent piece amount of Vanilla on that section. And finger comb.
5) Continue on all sections
6) Take hair down from clips and run fingers over hair and fix stray pieces. Don't worry about there being a lot of conditioner. If you put enough water in your hair before beginning, about an hour after you wake up, the curls will be great!
6)Plop overnight. I use a satin triangle thing from walmart in the ethnic section. (Again PM me if you'd like me to clarify). I put a satin cap on top of this in case I sleep to wildly.
7) In the morning carefully remove triangle thing.

Enjoy your cheap curls!