Old 11-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #1

Default Product info overload

I'm still trying to soak up all the different techniques and products and routines I'm reading about, and my head is spinning! lol. I need simplicity in a routine, and my finances do not allow for being a PJ.

My hair is fine to medium 3a and chin-length. I wash and condition my hair every other day with an organic line, and I'd like to get by with just a leave-in and then some sort of curl cream. I can't stand crunch in my hair because it leaves my hair looking wet and looking darker than it is, so that leaves any gels out.

I just finished reading about the L&T, the Coco curly butter, and the KBB hair nectar. If you had to choose only one leave-in and one curl cream/other product, what would they be?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #2

Originally Posted by JElsea View Post

I don't like my hair looking wet either, however, gels usually give much better hold than curl cremes, so I just scrunch out the crunch when completely dry.

However, if you really want an inexpensive CG curl creme, a lot of people like Bioterra from Sally Beauty Supply, about $6 for a good size bottle. They also often have the products buy two get one or even BOGO.

For me, LOOB (L'Oreal Out of Bed) works sort of like a cross between a curl creme and a gel. It does leave some crunch to scrunch out, though.

I've sure you'll get lots of other suggestions!
2C/3A/3B - mod. CG, med. to fine, normal to low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated, GTTT or Aim2Health 'poos as scalp needs, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein Trtmt & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, AO Mandarin Magic, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing then clips or clamps & air dry. Blend gray w/henna glosses

Old 11-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #3

Join Date: Oct 2008

Thanks! The problem is that I have never, ever been able to "scrunch out the crunch" Every time I try, my hair is still crunchy and all the scrunching has kicked up the frizz. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #4

xcptnl's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2005

Originally Posted by JElsea View Post
I found when I do it with my hands I have to cup my hair and then push up and squeeze. But for me it's better if I use my curlease towel (or a old tshirt). I can get more hair into it and it does not catch on my fingers or rings. I also do it upside down and gently. Then I flip upright and do it some more with the towel. I also will then flip upside down again and run my hands against my scalp and along the top of my head to get any crunchies out near my roots.

I have to use products that give me crunch to get good hold later on so 'decrunchifying' is a must!

xcptnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #5

Join Date: Jun 2008

I sometimes have the same problem, though less so if I use AVG under everything else. I'll have to give Xceptnl's method a try, too!

Old 11-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #6

Originally Posted by xcptnl View Post

Thanks very much! I will definitely try that.

*Wishes curly hair was less work* lol!
Old 11-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #7

Join Date: Feb 2008

I'm trying my easiest routine ever this week. I co-washed and conditioned. Then I raked in a blob of Giovanni Direct Leave In (GLI), then scrunched another blob of it in (as a curl creme). I used my flour sack towel to scrunch more and get out excess water. I diffused for about 5 min with my Hot Sock. No gel, no honey, no plopping, and no CK. It actually looks really good which is a total shock. A little bit of frizz came out after dry so I scrunched in a pea sized blob of - you guessed it - GLI. Tamed the frizz right down.

The real deal will be whether I get day 2 hair. But I suppose it was so easy and dry so quick I might not care.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #8

Originally Posted by whatsercurl View Post

Very simple! That is exactly the kind of routine I'm looking for.

Just a couple of questions if that's OK. A hot sock --that's not a traditional diffuser, right? It's some kind of a sock-shaped thing that you attach to the dryer? Also, the flour sack towel; is that something I can buy somewhere, or are you using an actual flour sack?

Thanks again for the tips!
Old 11-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #9

Originally Posted by whatsercurl View Post

Very simple! That is exactly the kind of routine I'm looking for.

Thanks again for the tips!
I think Sally's sells the Hot Socks. I got one at Winner's (Canada's TJ MAXX) and one from Curly Hair institute when ordering my CK.

Flour sack towel is a type of dish towel you seem to buy just about anywhere in the US. If you google it, I'm sure you'll find one. Linens and Things sell them I think. Also good for plopping should you want to plop as long as you get one of the big ones.

One thing to note with this routine, you get almost no hold. I have pretty hardy curls so it's more about frizz than hold for me. I always thought I needed a gel but maybe not. My hair will let me know tomorrow.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #10

Originally Posted by whatsercurl View Post

Great! Thank you. I think I'll get one --I've gone through 2 normal diffusers now and I don't like them much. I get curl fine, but it also gives me frizz. Frizz is my nemesis lol.

Ah OK. I'll check into that as well.

I don't really have a problem with curls holding, myself. They hold just fine, but the problem is frizz and sometimes just "halo" frizz. It drives me completely batty.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #11

Join Date: Jun 2008

WalMart has flour sack towels in the kitchen section - a pack of 5-6 for about $6

I wish I could get away with using just GDLI like that, but if I use that much, I get weighed down and dirty looking - no way could I go more than two days, and probably not even that.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:19 AM   #12

Originally Posted by auntnett View Post

This is totally an experiment for me. I over condition very easily but don't seem to have any problems with GLI. I'm only using about a pea size blob on non-wash days. We'll see if I can make it my usual week between washes.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #13

Join Date: Oct 2008

Well, I purchased the Giovanni DLI today as well as the Sunset Styling Lotion. I'll give them a shot tomorrow to see how they work.

I've been using Giovanni products for a long time (shampoo, condish, leave-in spray, frizz gel), and one thing that really bothers me about them is their tendency to take an item and then repackage it for sale as something completely different by adding 2 more drops of water or something, or even changing a single ingredient. To me, it just smacks of fleecing customers. The two items I bought today have nearly identical ingredients, yet one is packaged as a leave-in, and the other is packaged as a product that can either straighten curly hair or make curly hair easier to style. It doesn't make any sense at all. It is (or used to be) the same with their LI spray. Same exact ingredients as the Smooth as Silk conditioner, with one exception: the spray contained PVP or something like that. OK, rant over lol.

Last edited by JElsea; 11-12-2008 at 09:01 PM.