Old 11-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #1

natural2a's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Default Allergic to Curl Keeper??

I am allergic to a lot of shampoos and styling products (and makeup, and... the list goes on). I usually get by using something new until I am about a half bottle into it. I, of course, broke my own rule of only one new product at a time when I went CG.

Here's what I use:

Suave Coconut Naturals Conditioner (co-wash)
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (deep conditioner)
Deva Low-poo (no more than 1x per week)
Curl keeper, and sometimes Tweek

I broke out in a little bumpy itchy rash right at my hairline at my forehead and the base of my neck in the back. I don't know for sure that it is Curl Keeper, but that is what I suspect, since it is the only thing that gets put there and stays on any length of time.

Anyone else had an allergic reaction to it?

I would love to know what the ingredient is that is the culprit. Other things I've broken out to are: the fancy salon line that L-O'real puts out in Gene Juarez salons, the silk protein that is 100% silk, one of the line of Aveda curl products (not sure which one because I was using all of them at the same time).

I have also had allergic reactions to Lubriderm "Seriously Sensitive" lotion that is supposed to be hypoallergenic.

Ideas??
natural2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:57 AM   #2

kathymack's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008

I'm allergic to CK and a lot of other products. It makes my scalp burn. Other products I remember now were the Bioterra curl creme and gel. I never narrowed down what it was. Since going with the more natural products, I haven't had any issues with allergies. May be a good plan for you to consider.

I also have to be very careful about what I use on my skin, etc. I have a lot of problems with things like sun screen, lotions, etc.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #3

DEL2C's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008

I've seen quite a few people say this about CK. I don't have issues with it I LOVE IT but like Kathy Bioterra made my scalp burn along with any Mag Sulph products. Sounds like you'll be putting the CK up for Swap, don't worry it's gonna go FAAAAAST.. Maybe try KY instead of CK? It might be more gentle considering what it's really for.....
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

DEL2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:00 AM   #4

LikeAustralia's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008

I got the little hairline bumps from the suave naturals...stopped using it and it is going away SLOWLY (urg!)
Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
It's Sydney, like Australia.
Formerly known as SydneyCurl.
LikeAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #5

FrizzBgone's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007

I'm allergic to the CK as well; I think it is the glycerin in it.

It makes me itch to the point that I feel like I have lice.

A natural alternative for me was Jane Carter's Condition & Sculpt. It isn't quite as frizz fighting as CK, but I found if I used it after my leave-in and before my hair stylers it helped. I didn't use it as a styling product, more as a frizz fighter. The other product that I have been able to get away with is Curlisto's Structura Lotion. I used it in the summer on those really sticky days. I don't think it is CG though.
FrizzBgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #6

natural2a's Avatar

Default Burt's Bees

It looks like your hair is fine, too. How does the Burt's Bees conditioner compare to the Suave for you? I find the Aubrey too rich to use everyday, so I need something for the days when I just want a light conditioner for co-wash. Advice?
natural2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #7

LikeAustralia's Avatar

Originally Posted by natural2a View Post
I think you're talking to me, so I'll answer.

The Burt's Bees has a lot of protein in it, and while it does enhance curl pattern, it has given me a bit of the frizzies. It's VERY different than suave. It's a thick conditioner, but it seems to soak into the hair a lot before giving any of the "slippy" feeling like Suave does. I'm currently looking for a good natural conditioner to alternate with the Burt's Bees so that I can get the benefits of both protein and moisture without protein. Some people don't have an issue with any protein at all though, so it might be great for you. They sometimes have sample sizes of the Burt's Bees. Try those first maybe.
Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
It's Sydney, like Australia.
Formerly known as SydneyCurl.
LikeAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #8

AprilnUtah's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008

I had an allergic reaction to CK too, it was uuugly.
April
3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

Last edited by AprilnUtah; 11-16-2008 at 09:54 PM.
AprilnUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #9

Unhappy

I am sooo glad I read this thread. I have been having problems with a burning, itchy scalp. Trying to figure out what the problem was. What is in the CK or other products that causes this reaction? I was also using the Bioterra Curl Creme. Oh no! What will I do with all these products that I can't use and what will I use instead? I am not happy right now! I have been trying so hard to make this work. What about the KBB products? I am patiently waiting for an order from them--hopefully I won't be allergic to any of them.
3a (I think) New to going curly after almost 20 years of straight hair. Not curly every day yet--but most days.

Trying EVERYTHING right now. Not yet sure what my hair loves or hates.

Gave up flat iron on or around 10/1/08!
SexyCurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #10

kathymack's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008

I love the KBB products. Because I'm so allergic to a lot of chemicals in skin (and now hair) products, the natural product alternative was a no brainer for me! I haven't had an allergy issue since. There are ingredients my hair doesn't like, but no allergic reactions.

kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote