Old 11-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #1

Kinks74's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Default You know you’re a product junkie when…

Yesterday I had an “Aha” moment. I went to my post office box as I do every day and received a box of goodies. I wasn’t expecting to receive this package for another week, so it was a perfect Monday surprise. As I was leaving the post office, I was so exited that there was a moment when I contemplated opening my package right there at the post office. I could hardly wait to get to my car. That’s when I realized…I have a problem.

Then I began to think…at what point does the desire to experiment and try new things become product junkie-ism, so to speak.

So, in the spirit of fabulous curly Carrie Bradshaw, I couldn’t help but wonder: At what point do you transition from being a product connoisseur to a product junkie?

I came up with a few red flags – you may have others. Here goes:

1) You have more products than food in your refrigerator
2) Your day revolves around mail delivery
4) You shower multiple times a day, just to try new products and/or new combos

Your turn…
Kinks, kinks and more kinks

Current Goodies: KBB Hair Mask, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, Oyin Juices & Berries, Oyin Shine & Define, Oyin Whipped Pudding
Faves & Raves: Oyin Juices & Berries, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, CBSS WSHP, KCCC, Henna
Not so Goodies: Proteins & heavy oils...
Current Challenge: kinky & twisted! (ahem, two-strand twisted)

Last edited by Kinks74; 11-18-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Kinks74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #2

va_candi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008

I loved your Carrie Bradshaw moment. I'm guilty of 1-3. I live in an apartment, and the rental office will accept packages for residents when we're not home. I seldom make it back to my place without opening the package. The staff all knows me, and I'm sure they think I'm crazy behind my back. Some other sure signs:

1. You have a product wish list longer than your grocery list.
2. You don't know what's for dinner today, but you know what product combo you're going to use in your hair.
3. You google products that you're interested in to see if any new reviews about them have surfaced.
va_candi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #3

Keewee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005

1) You have more products than food in your refrigerator
2) Your day revolves around mail delivery.

When I order products yes..
3) You purchase products or product samples containing ingredients that you KNOW will not work for your hair, on the slim possibility that they might Yep
4) You shower multiple times a day, just to try new products and/or new combos Yep
5) You spend most of your workday in the mirror analyzing your hair, and the rest of the day trying to decide what you’ll do differently tomorrow Yep

Yes I am product obsessed... Oh yea

3A some 3b Total Product Junkie
P/Wmarissa
Keewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #4

Join Date: Oct 2008

You know you're a product junkie when you purchase hair products and have NO idea what they are or how to use them.

I bought some stuff from my local Indian Health Food Store because it was next to the henna and most of the boxes were empty. I was too embarrassed to ask what it was, but I had to have it! The writing is Hindi so now I'm a junkie of foreign products as well!

I need help.
Last disastrous relaxer 5/2008.
TWA...for now...
Products I love:
Mill Creek Botanicals products
AOHR
Henna
ABBA products
Oils (various)
Goal: to regrow what I lost and have healthy, thick, and wondrous natural curls!

Still searching for my miracle moisturizer.
SisoftheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #5

breezybaby's Avatar

Originally Posted by SisoftheMoon View Post

I need help.

say what......you purchased empty boxes? I would take them snitches back to the store with a quickness
3a/3b/3c hair all on one head

Shea butter
breezybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #6

Join Date: Oct 2008

No, no the cone shape things I bought have liquid in them but the display boxes were nearly empty! Whatever is in the cones is selling like hotcakes! LOL I bought three of them and have no idea what they are. How sad is that?
Last disastrous relaxer 5/2008.
TWA...for now...
Products I love:
Mill Creek Botanicals products
AOHR
Henna
ABBA products
Oils (various)

Still searching for my miracle moisturizer.
SisoftheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #7

breezybaby's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008

lol, awww. i got confused when i went into the local indian store and had to have the guy cashier talk me through the powders and oils.

to add onto the list...

......when you find something that works for you, but you get disappointed because that means you can't buy more things to try
3a/3b/3c hair all on one head

Shea butter
breezybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #8

Join Date: Jul 2008

you know your a product junkie when

1)you run out of money and there's a sale,you sneek and use your husbands cc while he is asleep.

2)you write products in your monthly budget.

3)you buy multiples because your afraid to run out.

4)you have products in your bathroom,kitchen,bedroom and the trunk of your car.
starg2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #9

Vainity's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Default A Few More

• Your DH brings packages in the house without even checking to see if they are yours because you receive so many. (Yes, we had a neighbor's package for a day before we realized it wasn't ours.)
  • You have packages shipped to work so not to alarm DH at the amount of $$$ you tank on hair products.
Last Relaxer: May 8, 2008
BC: May 27, 2009
My Picasa Album
Vainity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #10

Kinks74's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008

Haha!!! Glad to know I'm not alone! And if anybody wants to go on a product diet, just lemme know. I'll join you! Strength in numbers, right?
Kinks, kinks and more kinks

Not so Goodies: Proteins & heavy oils...
Current Challenge: kinky & twisted! (ahem, two-strand twisted)
Kinks74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #11

amy51373's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by Vainity View Post
This sort of happened to me this week too. There was a box in my mail box when I got the mail the address was covered up and all the way back to the house I kept trying to remember what I had ordered, got all excited and then realized it was the neighbors box.
mostly 3a/i/F
Modified CG since Feb 2008
Rotating a lot!
Blog: http://amy51373.blogspot.com/
amy51373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:04 AM   #12

Saria's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008

Here's one for all of you: I have been waiting for my Ohm Body order and I ended up dreaming that it was delivered, but I wasn't able to receive it. Yes, dreaming of hair products.
Saria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #13

Join Date: Sep 2007

-You check the weather report before deciding what products to use today.

-Your trying reeeaaaally hard to stay away from the Readers' Product Reviews board because there is Christmas shopping to do!
3c/4a 3 Years Relaxer Free!

curlynyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #14

soapaholic's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008

When your pasta scraper turns into your soap cutter

When (being a little OCDish) your favorite activity is arranging your shampoo bars by scent and size

When your most unnerving experience was hiking through Wild Basin in Rocky Mountain Natl' Park, (bear land)....and suddenly remembering you did your normal hair routine...that included a HONEY rinse.

When your friends don't understand what you're saying because you've slipped into CG lingo:
"Your hair looks really nice"
"Thanks, the FOTE really helps with clumpage"
cowash Suave
wash CV, Soap and Sundries bars
Braggs vinegar rinse
style Watered down FOTE
DT Honey/olive oil, coconut oil, unrefined shea
soapaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:16 AM   #15

FrizzBgone's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Default oops great minds think alike !!

I just posted a similar thread moments ago on the general discussion forum.

On my way into work yesterday, my postman literally followed me honking to get my attention. He had a package for me that had to be signed for. He wanted to save me the trip to the postal outlet the following day. It was very sweet of him ...

But before I found nc.com, I couldn't even tell you what my postman looked like. Now not only does he know me personally, but my car !!! I know I should be ashamed, but I thought it was hilarious
FrizzBgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #16

Talking

When your DH and the UPS guy see each other at the grocery store and strike up a conversation like they're old buddies.

When you can buy presents for your kids, they arrive, and the boxes can sit in the living room untouched for days, because they're so used to all the packages Mommy gets.

When your kids don't have to go out shopping for materials for school projects because they can use all the leftover bottles, boxes and packing materials you have from beginning to end.
hurricane1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #17

teshon's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007

My husband was once supportive of my PJ habit, but now thinks I need to be committed. We share an email address and I've contemplated about getting my own without it being too suspicious. We've shared the same one for about 2 yrs. now, but that was before my addiction..lol

I know I'm a product junkie when:

I delete order and shipping confirmation emails so that he doesn't know how much I spend on products or that I have more products on the way.

I sneak out of the bedroom to place orders at 2am when he's asleep once we've already gone to bed..shhh!

Anita Grant is all I want for Christmas.

My husband asks, "Honey what's the name of the hair product your wearing today...KCCC, some kind of pudding, or custard?" I just stand there giving him the "evil eye", with my hand on my hip...like whatever! Then he follows with anyway it looks nice.
3c-4a; Protein Sensitive(forms of wheat, keratin, soy and anything "hydrolyzed"). My hair hates coconut oil and jojoba oil(sometimes).
http://photobucket.com/teshon PW: crazycurls
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/teshonandfamily
teshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #18

mosxy5's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008

...you want to get a PO Box JUSTfor all of your product deliveries. And when I know I have a shipment on the way I try to leave work early so it's not sitting on the porch too long.

I probably need to go to rehab...but I think I can stop whenever I am ready.
Relaxer free since 12/2001...

Mostly 3c with 4a in the back.
mosxy5 is offline   Reply With Quote