Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #1

AprilnUtah's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Default What are your favorite GLYCERIN-FREE products?

I'm trying to eliminate the humectants to try and tame a new wave of halo frizz - so what are your favorite glycerin free products? Conditioners, stylers.......
April
3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

AprilnUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:56 AM   #2

amy51373's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008

Yes to Cucumbers leave in has been a great glycerin free product for me. I just got it a week ago and so far I'm loving it.
mostly 3a/i/F
Modified CG since Feb 2008
Rotating a lot!
Blog: http://amy51373.blogspot.com/
amy51373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 AM   #3

msgiblet's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006

I just started testing glycerin-free products and, so far, I'm having good luck with Innersense Color Radiance Poo & Condish, KCKT and KCCC. The Innersense Conditioner has glycerin, but it's at the very end of the ingredient list and isn't causing me a problem.
http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

msgiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #4

rudeechick's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008

Dumping the glycerine (my summer HG) saved my winter hair. The glyc was making my hair frazzled dry and definitionless.

I have used the following with various degree of success:
B&A (for light hold)
Boots (med hold)
BRHG (for heavy hold)
HEBE mousse (soft def)
HESMU (perfect balance for me of hold and softness)

I also cut out my CO washes and switched to Bars, as it seems my hair wants LESS moisture in the drier weather.

Good luck!
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
rudeechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #5

Originally Posted by AprilnUtah View Post
I'm in Colorado and have just figured out that glycerin is a bad idea in our dry climates. I've been having great success with KCKT and KCCC. I have BRHG and have heard good things about it for dry climate curlies.

I've really wanted to try KBB hair nectar and hair milk, but I haven't due to the glycerin content. How are these two particular products working for you in Utah?
CG since 2002
True 3b, but looser curls since moving to drier climate. BSL thick, medium-course hair with some 2C/3a on canopy.

-i never use a leave in
-style with a drop of Pink Boots, followed by a modest amount of KCCC, topped with a small dollop of Devacurl Angell
Old 11-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #6

ReddishRocks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lunacurl View Post

I'm in Colorado too - I had to cut out the KBB nectar and milk. Too much glycerin.

I second the KCCC and BRHG. This Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol stuff too... underrated, in my opinion. I love the stuff.

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
Humectants: @ dew point 40+
My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly
ReddishRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #7

Join Date: Mar 2005

• 8 oz.
  • Purified Water, Jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil, Vegetable Wax, Panthenol, Extracts of Arnica Flowers, Calendula Flowers, Echinacea, Nettle, & Horsetail Extracts, Vegetable Glycerin, Wheat Germ Oil, Essential and/or Fragrance Oils, Natural Enzymes & Vitamin E
There is also a new product, Super Silky that is glycerin free.
  • A perfect styling product for feathery fine straight to medium wavy tresses. Usage: Start with less than a dime size amount. A little goes a long way.
  • 8 oz.
  • Purified Water, Aloe Vera Juice, Vegetable Wax, Coconut Oil, Arnica Extract, Jojoba Oil, Panthenol, Organic Rosemary Hydrosol & Vitamin E
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
Zinnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #8

Yes there is:

Purified Water, Jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil, Vegetable Wax, Panthenol, Extracts of Arnica Flowers, Calendula Flowers, Echinacea, Nettle, & Horsetail Extracts, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, Wheat Germ Oil, Essential and/or Fragrance Oils, Natural Enzymes & Vitamin

Old 11-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #9

Old 11-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #10

DEL2C's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008

RCC how long have you been using KCKT/KCCC combo?? It's amazing to me that this is all you use no other combos? No need to rotate??
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

DEL2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #11

Join Date: Mar 2005

Yes there is:

Oops...misread...it was late. Well, she has a new one without glycerin.
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
Zinnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #12

Originally Posted by redcelticcurls View Post

AOHR and AWOC are glycerin free also.
Yes, HUGE thumbs up for AOHR. Love that stuff. I'm not familiar with AWOC. Did you mean AOWC? I haven't tried that either.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #13

AprilnUtah's Avatar

Originally Posted by AprilnUtah View Post

I've continued using the KBB because I haven't found anything to replace it with that I like yet. I really need a great conditioner! I love the KCKT/KCCC and BRHG, they are my everyday staples.

RR - I'm gonna have to try that Lustrasilk!
April
3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

AprilnUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #14

Originally Posted by redcelticcurls View Post

AOHR and AWOC are glycerin free also.
Sorry for the typo. It's AOWC - AO White Camellia.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:38 AM   #15

rymorg2's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006

• 8 oz.
There is glycerin in the milk, it's listed after the nettle and horsetail extracts. I haven't yet tried the super silky but want to

shoulda kept reading sorry LOL.....

Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Ingredients Maven
Products: Free and Clear sulfate free poo and condish, Theraneem Sulfate Free Shampoo/Condish, Unscented SSCEJ, Coconut oil, Camellia oil, Argan oil
Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy

Last edited by rymorg2; 11-24-2008 at 04:38 AM. Reason: DUH
rymorg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #16

Originally Posted by DEL2C View Post
OK, Del, I finally found this, lol.

I started using the combo in July of 2007 and it's been working for me pretty concistently since then.

I do prefer a heavier conditioner too, which is why I also have the others in my siggy. I started with the AOHR at about the same time as I started the Kinky Curly combo IIRC.

ETA: If it's summer with a high dew point, I have settled on putting some BRHG on top of the KCCC for humidity control.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #17

Join Date: Jul 2007

I have to agree, the KCKT/KCCC combo worked really well for me last winter, I used it almost daily.

This week I've been using Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic jelly and I'm so pleased with the results, it's lighter than KCCC, moisturizing and keeps the frizz down on my hair. Three tries this week, three good hair days! So far, so good...

AOHR is working again for me, over summer it was too heavy, now it's perfect.
3B/3C
medium/coarse and porous

wash: KC Come Clean, Flower Peddler Northern Lights soap bar
conditioner: YTT, YTC, KCKT, Shescentit GT&H, Shescentit Avocado, DB Pumpkin Seed, Garnier Ultra Doux, Mop Top daily conditioner
styler: KCCC, HEBE, homemade fsg, DM MCCG, AOMM
dt: banana and avocado mask, nexxus emergencee, Shescentit TT&GH, ayurvedic powders, SS RPT
butters: Jane Carter N&S, Afroveda Curly Custard, Afroveda Cocolatte, Shescentit Gillian, Shescentit Seyani
sweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:28 AM   #18

Join Date: Feb 2006

Terax Crema, Kiehl's Leave-In, BSRG, Kinky Curly Come Clean, KKKT, and KKCC. Mop-C Curl Defining Cream
joya is offline   Reply With Quote