Curl Creme Recommendation Needed

OK. So I've done some searching in the forum for some possible replacements for AG Re:Coil. But I'm getting frustrated and hope someone can help me.

The thing is that I do like Re: Coil. It leaves my hair soft and gives good curl hold. The only thing I don't like is that it makes my hair a little bit TOO curly.

Does anyone have a suggestion for 3B hair for a curl creme that defines curls but gives more big clumps than tiny curls? I don't know how else to explain this, but my hair gets super tight curls when I use Re:coil. I want my hair to curl but not quite that much!

Also, I use CurlKeeper under my curl cremes. I use a tiny bit of Angell over the curl creme after my hair has almost completely dried.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mary Kay Beauty Consultant

Have you tried LOOB? It's much cheaper, and really encourages clumping. It didn't encourage the curl too much on my hair (though I'm a 3A and not a B) but it did give me some massive clumps.
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
I like Boots curl cream. It's a good curl cream, but doesn't enhance quite like re: coil does. I think it provides good clumping. The only problem is it's only available in the UK. Though, I believe many here have purchased it from britsuperstore.com. I received mine in a swap. Let me know if you're interested and I can send you a sample if you want to try it out.
Mod CG since 9/08
Conditioner: Kenra Moisturizing, Generic Biolage Balm
Deep Treatment: Jessicurl WDT or GVP mixed with olive oil
Styling faves: Giovanni DLI, KBB products, Boots, MOP Curl Cream, KCCC, HEBE
Current Color: Salon highlights

LOOB dried me out - Boots is great, great clumpage on thicker hair and the hold is soft. The same with KCCC, but I prefer the Boots over that.....
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
Originally Posted by rudeechick
How long after using LOOB did you realize that it was drying your hair out?.......
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
Originally Posted by rudeechick
Originally Posted by curlykey
After the 2nd time. The first day was woooo hooooo. The next time was frizzly... the 3rd time, I caught on.
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
Originally Posted by CaliforniaWavy
Thank you CaliforniaWavy! I will keep your offer in mind, but am hoping to find something more easily accessible Boots does sound dreamy, though.

Originally Posted by MimsTX
OK. I bought the LOOB and I'm trying it now. My hair is still air drying. It's about 60% dry, I'd say. The curls are nice and big, not too tightly wound. But my hair is looking a little too fluffy, so I scrunched in some more LOOB. Do you use LOOB when hair is sopping wet? That's what I did. Maybe I should have used more to begin with? I never know if my hair is going to frizz until about 6 or 7 hours after I wash it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mary Kay Beauty Consultant

LOOB was amazing for me for about 2 weeks. Then my hair was never clumpy at all, dry, and just bad looking. Sulfate pooed, and voila, my hair was back. Apparently I had some build-up from the water-soluble cones. But many use it without problems at all long-term.
3b/c, CG 9/18/08
Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
Much to my surprise and delight, I really like LOOB! My hair is airdry and there is no frizz. Nice big, clumpy curls. And so shiny.

I will beware of the danger of build up, too. Since I work out several times a week, I don't go more than 4 or 5 days without shampooing my hair, anyway. (When I use shampoo I concentrate on washing my scalp and keeping the shampoo away from the ends.) I co-wash almost every day, too, so that should take care of those water soluble cones.

Last edited by Celebration; 11-24-2008 at 02:58 AM. Reason: fix spelling
I do like LOOB - but I too have had a few days where I got frizz - I can't use any other products in my hair if I use LOOB.
I do love the Sami Istyle series, the gel - it's been doing amazing stuff for my hair. And their "Big Curls" creme is also really great - for my hair, so far !
There are some great threads on here about KBB - another very good one -I love their hair milk and butter!
Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...
Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

for the love of the lens...

www.animafoto.wordpress.com
I also bought the Sami spray gel, on recommendation from the board. I thought I might try it later in the day when/if my hair starts getting out of control

Thanks!