Old 11-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #1

Default Curl Creme Recommendation Needed

OK. So I've done some searching in the forum for some possible replacements for AG Re:Coil. But I'm getting frustrated and hope someone can help me.

The thing is that I do like Re: Coil. It leaves my hair soft and gives good curl hold. The only thing I don't like is that it makes my hair a little bit TOO curly.

Does anyone have a suggestion for 3B hair for a curl creme that defines curls but gives more big clumps than tiny curls? I don't know how else to explain this, but my hair gets super tight curls when I use Re:coil. I want my hair to curl but not quite that much!

Also, I use CurlKeeper under my curl cremes. I use a tiny bit of Angell over the curl creme after my hair has almost completely dried.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 11-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #2

MimsTX's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to MimsTX

Have you tried LOOB? It's much cheaper, and really encourages clumping. It didn't encourage the curl too much on my hair (though I'm a 3A and not a B) but it did give me some massive clumps.
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
MimsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #3

Join Date: Sep 2008

I like Boots curl cream. It's a good curl cream, but doesn't enhance quite like re: coil does. I think it provides good clumping. The only problem is it's only available in the UK. Though, I believe many here have purchased it from britsuperstore.com. I received mine in a swap. Let me know if you're interested and I can send you a sample if you want to try it out.
Mod CG since 9/08

CaliforniaWavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #4

rudeechick's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008

LOOB dried me out - Boots is great, great clumpage on thicker hair and the hold is soft. The same with KCCC, but I prefer the Boots over that.....
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
rudeechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #5

Join Date: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by rudeechick View Post
As for a straight up curl creme, I LOVE QCCC!
How long after using LOOB did you realize that it was drying your hair out?.......
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
curlykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #6

rudeechick's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by curlykey View Post
Originally Posted by rudeechick View Post
As for a straight up curl creme, I LOVE QCCC!
After the 2nd time. The first day was woooo hooooo. The next time was frizzly... the 3rd time, I caught on.
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
rudeechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #7

Originally Posted by CaliforniaWavy View Post
Thank you CaliforniaWavy! I will keep your offer in mind, but am hoping to find something more easily accessible Boots does sound dreamy, though.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #8

Originally Posted by MimsTX View Post
OK. I bought the LOOB and I'm trying it now. My hair is still air drying. It's about 60% dry, I'd say. The curls are nice and big, not too tightly wound. But my hair is looking a little too fluffy, so I scrunched in some more LOOB. Do you use LOOB when hair is sopping wet? That's what I did. Maybe I should have used more to begin with? I never know if my hair is going to frizz until about 6 or 7 hours after I wash it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #9

Join Date: Sep 2008

LOOB was amazing for me for about 2 weeks. Then my hair was never clumpy at all, dry, and just bad looking. Sulfate pooed, and voila, my hair was back. Apparently I had some build-up from the water-soluble cones. But many use it without problems at all long-term.
3b/c, CG 9/18/08
Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
onethousandcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:57 AM   #10

Join Date: Jan 2006

Much to my surprise and delight, I really like LOOB! My hair is airdry and there is no frizz. Nice big, clumpy curls. And so shiny.

I will beware of the danger of build up, too. Since I work out several times a week, I don't go more than 4 or 5 days without shampooing my hair, anyway. (When I use shampoo I concentrate on washing my scalp and keeping the shampoo away from the ends.) I co-wash almost every day, too, so that should take care of those water soluble cones.

Last edited by Celebration; 11-24-2008 at 02:58 AM. Reason: fix spelling
Old 11-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #11

TaraVictoria's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007

I do like LOOB - but I too have had a few days where I got frizz - I can't use any other products in my hair if I use LOOB.
I do love the Sami Istyle series, the gel - it's been doing amazing stuff for my hair. And their "Big Curls" creme is also really great - for my hair, so far !
There are some great threads on here about KBB - another very good one -I love their hair milk and butter!
Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...
Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

for the love of the lens...

www.animafoto.wordpress.com
TaraVictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #12

Join Date: Jan 2006

I also bought the Sami spray gel, on recommendation from the board. I thought I might try it later in the day when/if my hair starts getting out of control

Thanks!