-   -   Herbal Essences Shimmery Nights spray gel (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/62446-herbal-essences-shimmery-nights-spray-gel.html)

Cynthia73 11-23-2008 01:43 PM

Herbal Essences Shimmery Nights spray gel

I just found this at Walgreens today, and I think I like it! I'm not finding any other reviews for it on the board, so I'm thinking it may be new for the holidays.

It looks like spun gold in the bottle and makes my hair really shiny. It has real diamond dust in it and is very shimmery.

Here are the ingredients - is it OK for CG?

Herbal Essences
shimmery nights
shimmer spray gel
for hair that shimmers and stays in control.
with a fusion of diamond dust & champagne
are you in a glam mood? get shimmering!
i'm your fun loving, gel-friend who adds a touch of shimmer to your hair and controls it lightly all over with my versatile formula fused with pure diamond dust & champagne. one turn and you'll catch the light and maybe spark the night.
Directions: spray onto wet hair. style your way. see your hair shimmer as you move.
Ingredients: water, vp/va copolymer, champagne, diamond powder, fragrance, propylene glycol, calcium sodium borosilicate, acrylates/beheneth-25 methacrylate copolymer, peg-25 hydrogenated castor oil, dmdm hydantoin, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, tocopherol, titanium dioxide, tin oxide.
Questions: 1-800-252-4765 or visit www.herbalessences.com
Warnings:
made in usa of us and/or imported ingredients.

onethousandcurls 11-23-2008 05:51 PM

It's been around for a long time, so don't worry about it disappearing with the holidays.

Cynthia73 11-23-2008 06:32 PM

Thanks. It's the first Herbal Essence gel I've tried and its holding so much better than the L A looks.

onethousandcurls 11-23-2008 06:41 PM

It looks CG to me, no outright cones. Watch out for the castor oil though, it is water-soluble, so you should be ok. But some curlies, including me, experience build-up with water-soluble cones and oils.

Have you tried the other HE gels? A lot of people really like the Set Me Up, Body Envy, and Totally Twisted. I think those would be more cost-effective for your everyday regular hair, and you can leave the shimmery gel for evenings out, etc.

onethousandcurls 11-23-2008 06:43 PM

If you just like the shimmer, you can buy body shimmer powder and mix in a tiny bit with the dollop of gel you use that day. That way, you can adjust the amount of shimmer in your hair, a little for every day, more for nights out, and it's cheaper.

You can also mix in a touch of that shimmer powder into your face lotion, totally brightens up your face.

I should go do those things right now...

Cynthia73 11-23-2008 08:04 PM

No, I haven't tried any other HE gels. This one was totally impulse because it looked so fascinating in the bottle.

I've only been CG about a week and already have now 2 new gels and 3 conditioners, plus a big new bottle of ACV to be using. I can see how the "quest for the perfect product" is going to bite me!

This has very little tiny glitter. I do have a problem with glitter getting stuck on my face when I don't want it there, but so far little problem with this one. It just looked so beautiful!

onethousandcurls 11-23-2008 11:29 PM

Welcome to product junkism. Embrace it.

The shimmer power suggestion was just a cheaper alternative, plus I think it's way more versatile since you can get more/less shimmer when you want it, plus use it on your face, etc. And sometimes you won't want gel, and you can put the shimmer in whatever product you're using that day.

Good luck with your newfound CG-ism.

Cynthia73 11-24-2008 07:03 AM

Thank you. It's nice to be here among my own kind!

lazy loops 11-24-2008 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by onethousandcurls (Post 800421)

I should go do those things right now...

Sally's Beauty Supply has a small bottle of glitter for mixing in with face, hair or body products. There are different colors. I think they were just under a buck. I bought white, or as I call it, neutral, to mix with hair gel for hubby's work party if I go.

Cynthia73 11-24-2008 12:29 PM

This stuff doesn't really seem to be showing up as glitter in my hair. I got good third day hold from it. I did respray a little this morning and scrunched, just so I wouldn't look like I just got out of bed. Maybe its the light, but no one has said anything about seeing glitter in my hair and I don't see it either!

Smells real good.