Old 12-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #1

Arrow Set Me Up and Above

Hi all. I used to use Deva Curl/Care and gave up. I'm thinking of trying it again, but the jury is still out. Anyhoo, over the weekend I went to 2 beauty supply stores. In noticed there was a product by Deva called "Set Me Up and Above."

I remember there was a pomade product called "Set Me Up" and was wondering if this is simply the same product with a new name. The people that worked there didn't seem to know. One woman said she ordered Set Me Up and received Set Me Up and Above and hadn't even realized it until I pointed it out to her.

See what I get for nosing around? Ha ha.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #2

Join Date: Nov 2005

I am guessing it's the same product. I wondered if they would change the name because Herbal Essences has a few products under the name "set me up", maybe they made them change it?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #3

Posts: n/a

Hi HMof3! I know, I can't figure it out, and I didn't buy it, so I'll wait for someone else to notice this thread that may be able to enlighten us.

Now to digress from my own original question: I noticed that your siggie says All Deva Curl. Is that still true? If so, can you please tell me which products you use? I wonder if my own lack of success with Deva was trying all these products, getting dry hair and an itchy scalp and not knowing what caused it. Maybe less is more. I met this woman who uses "only" the No Poo, Once C and Angell, and her hair is georgeous.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #4

Originally Posted by unpoof View Post

HI unpoof!!
Yes, that is really interesting about the name change, hope someone knows!

I changed my signature just today - when I first found this site I started using DevaCurl, then the product junkie in me kicked it and I tried anything and everything - now, in the past couple weeks I decided to just go with what works and works consistently, I use exactly what you mentioned above - no poo, one c and angell...I've also been using the Heaven in Hair deep treatment about once a week (good good stuff, keeps my hair defined for days it seems!) Anyway, I just love DevaCurl and don't know why I bother with anything else. I've got the DevaFuser and Set it Free spray coming in the mail (I've used the DevaSun Dryer and Fuser but didn't give it a fair shot a year ago and traded it).

Anyway, I hope that helps and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've got 3b, fairly fine curls.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #5

Originally Posted by hockeymomof3 View Post
Originally Posted by unpoof View Post

HI unpoof!!
Yes, that is really interesting about the name change, hope someone knows!

Well, ummm, yes, I have questions. (1) Do you think it really matters if I use the Deva Curl or the Deva Care line? My hair is dyed a somewhat faded coppery reddish brown. (2) Did you ever get a really itchy scalp from these products? (3) When you get the time , could you describe your routine? I honestly don't think I ever got the procedure straight. I have another post going somewhere on this too, in case you see it. Oh, by the way, I couldn't live without my DevaSun Dryer and Fuser. It's great for drying near the roots. Thanks for your reply!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #6

xcptnl's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2005

Was it a spray bottle or a tub? Set it free is a spray and Set Me Up is in a tub. Not sure if that helps or not. The Devaconcepts site still shows only Set Me Up - no name change. Very odd.

xcptnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #7

Hello!!

No, I don't think it matters if you use DevaCurl or Care -- maybe the DevaCare might be better on your scalp? Maybe there's something in the DevaCurl you are a allergic to? I've never gotten a real itchy scalp, maybe once in awhile I notice it when I switch brands but I think it's just my scalp adjusting to new things? I've used the DevaCare line also and it's great, I love the ArcAngell (YUM).

As far as my routine:
Once a week, wash scalp and rub through - No Poo, massage very well and rinse
Everyday - use three (or maybe a little more) pumps of DevaCurl One C - put throughout hair and let sit while I finish showering; Rinse, just a little, not all the way and then flip hair upside down, do a bit of scrunching, while I have my hair in the "scruched" position in the front, tilt my hair back up, shake head a little to position curls
Use Curlease to scrunch the drippiness out, gently
Apply DevaCurl Angell right side up, scrunching gently and then tilt upside down to get underneath and scrunch a bit of gel in
Once right side up again, I clip the front of my hair to get it to lay where I like it, and then air dry (until my DevaFuser gets here!)
Once a week, instead of using One C, I use Heaven in Hair the same way I do One C except I rinse a bit more.

I hope that helps! Oh, and if I don't have or use DevaCurl that day, I use biolage, which also rocks! But, lately, I've only used DevaCurl, but biolage would be my second choice.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:07 AM   #8

Originally Posted by xcptnl View Post
It is odd -
I noticed this on another site that sells devacurl products, that the "and above" is in the description....

Styling and Conditioning Pomade
Set Me Up! and above...This versatile pomade provides maximum texture, separation and styling control for today's modern styles. Set Me Up! gives shine and movement without feeling stiff or sticky. Botanically infused with Jojoba and Cupuacu seed oil. Style on wet or dry hair.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
rbb

Join Date: May 2008

i emailed cal of customer service on the devachan site. his response to the name change is:
"There is no difference, the name had to be changed for copyright reasons."
so, it is one and the same, only the name changed.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, leave in, protein tx: curl junkie products. styling:curl junkie conditioners only at times, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. trying ufdcm. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!! sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
rbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #10

Originally Posted by rbb View Post
"There is no difference, the name had to be changed for copyright reasons."
so, it is one and the same, only the name changed.
Hmm, my theory may be correct then! Thanks for the info