Deva Curl vs. Deva Care

Posts: n/a
I get my hair colored at a salon with permanent dye. It is like a coppery brown. Oh, so now I know that red fades the fastest.....oh well. My question is short and sweet.

Of those of you that do color your own hair or have it professionally colored, have you noticed if there really is a difference (by that I mean less color fading) between Deva Curl and Deva Care products?

Oh yes, I must digress for a moment -- one time I tried a no-sulphate shampoo immediately after coloring. My hair felt really soft, but after 3 shampoos (in a row at one time) there was still a mess of color on my hair towel. That's no good, because that means the color will end up on my shirt collar. Only after I used an SLS shampoo was the towel clean.
Posts: n/a
I'm seriously considering going to purchase the Deva products again tomorrow and I don't know which to buy, Deva Curl or Deva Care. Help anyone? C'mon, I'm trying to get off of Planet Sulfate. In 10 minutes I'm going to fall asleep sitting up at my computer.
Deva Care is supposed to be for color treated hair so it's more moisturizing. That's all I can tell you unpoof! I don't color and mistakenly ordered DevaCare when I used to use it and it WEIGHED ME DOWN horrible! But, Deva in general weighs me down which is why I stopped using it. If you've had good luck with Deva products and your hair tends to be dry you might love DevaCare!
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

Originally Posted by DEL2C
Thanks DEL. I, unfortunately have not had good luck with Deva (neither Curl or Care). But I keep thinking, I must have done something wrong. So like a bozo, I am convincing myself to go purchase it again and give it another go around. Hopefully some gals that dye their hair will chime in here as well.
Have you checked the Coloring your hair forum? I've never ventured over there but you might be able to check out some siggies?
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

Posts: n/a
Yes, I did. Well as much as I could. I'll look some more, though. Thanks again!
"one time I tried a no-sulphate shampoo immediately after coloring. My hair felt really soft, but after 3 shampoos (in a row at one time) there was still a mess of color on my hair towel"

unpoof -- i use either the devacurl or devacare low poo to shampoo after a color. my color does not fade and i feel i got all the color out of my hair. (are you rinsing out the color with water first before you add shampoo?)
i use the devacurl products mostly, but in the winter i do love the devacare one condition, seems to do a better job in the winter for my hair when it is dry.
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I do love the Deva line - I use the chocolate conditioner for when I'm in need of a color "pick me up" - works great! I love the Curl conditioner for ever day (although I was turned on to Suave Naturals here and I switch them in and out every so often -works quite well!)
I also, at times, use the deva curl cond as a leave in - they do it at the Deva Salon where I get my hair cut (NY) and it always leaves my hair really soft... good luck!
Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...
Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

for the love of the lens...

www.animafoto.wordpress.com
i never used the deva color line -- how dark/light is the deva chocolate?
i color my hair darkest brown, there are those times when i could use a little 'pick me up.'
what color is your hair?

Originally Posted by rbb
Originally Posted by TaraVictoria
Wow! I just found out how to use the multi-quote button. Can't believe I was so dumb....

Hi rbb and TaraV I'll go one at a time and try not to confuse anybody...

rbb - Oh yes, I used a lot of water first because my hair is really thick. If you use the Low Poo after a color, what do you use other times, the No Poo or just One C? I guess I am trying to figure out what Deva Products you use, when and how often and in what combination. Yeah, I know that's asking a lot when you have to type it all out.

TaraVictoria - I was thinking of trying the DevaRed stuff, but I read on another thread that it has henna in it, and I don't know how henna would mesh with my hairdresser's dyes. Yes everyone seems to like the One C conditioner. Do you mind if I ask you the same question I asked rbb above? What Deva Products do you use, when and how often and in what combination?

You're probably saying why is this lady asking all these redundant questions, so I will try to explain.
One year I had grey hair, and I tried the Deva Curl line. My hair got dry and my head got really itchy. So I stopped using any of it.

The next year I was a bleachy blonde, and I bought the Deva Care line, and I mixed some of the Deva Curl products with it....blah blah blah....same thing. I got dry hair and an itchy scalp...everything went to the laundry room where people like to leave items that others might want.

Now I am a one-process color. I am debating whether or not to go to my local beauty supply store and re-purchase the Deva (Care), I guess. I keep thinking I must have been doing something wrong. I don't want to start a new thread called Deva Revisited, which would bore everyone to tears. So, I thought maybe stick to the basics? Oh I am confused....
after color, i use low poo, then heaven in hair with a shower cap for 15 minutes up to 2 hours, depending on what time i have. after i rinse it out, i follow with a tiny bit of arc angell, then some set it free, blot with a curlease towel and mostly air dry, maybe diffuse upside down after it has dried for an hour.
other days i either no poo, or one condition co wash, either way use one condition and leave some of it in, then a small amount (nickel size) of arc angell, and a few squirts of set it free (more in humidity, less in dry weather). again, air dry all or up to an hour, then diffuse upside down.
from time to time i'll dt w/heaven in hair. i start with dry hair, dampen it with my fingers enough so the heaven in hair emulsifies, shower cap over it for about 1/2 hour to 2 hours, then rinse, and follow w/arc angell and set it free.
i do vary from time to time, using the pomade, set me up, on either wet hair or dry hair instead of set it free. depending on humidity or very drying winter weather, i'll leave in more one conditioner. my daughter also has 3a hair, but her hair is fine so she while she also uses deva products exclusively, she has a different combo. you have to find what works best for your hair type, meaning the texture.
if your scalp was itchy, maybe you are allergic to some of the ingredients? have you used other cg shampoos? maybe your scalp was itchy from the color? that is a concern i'd investigate, don't want to cause damage to your scalp or lose your hair!!
good luck!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I don't color my hair, but I just wanted to comment on the itchiness. I've recently discovered that DevaCurl Angell was making my scalp dry, flaky and itchy. I'd been using it for three months in various combinations; Angell was the only constant... My scalp was getting worse and I couldn't understand why. I finally figured it out! (I know, I'm slow ) Now I'm testing a bunch of stuff and finding that most gels irritate my scalp, actually...

The only other Deva product I have is DevaCare One Condition, which I chose over the DevaCurl one simply because it had no parabens (DevaCurl One C does). Incidentally, I don't think it irritates my scalp either. Well, I usually rinse it out anyway, either totally or partially. Haven't used it much lately, but I plan to get back to it this winter. I like it--it's rich and creamy, feels moisturizing, detangles very well, and you don't need to use very much. It does have amodimethicone though, so I have to clarify with low-poo or a soap bar now and then when I use it, because otherwise it can build up over time.

This doesn't exactly answer your question about the difference between DevaCurl and DevaCare, but my main point is... Why not go for the DevaCare One C, for starters? It's designed for colored hair and, well, it has no parabens You might have to find a different line for gel or styling products though, I don't know... Or get a Deva sample pack and test the styling/leave-in products one by one to see which ones bother your scalp and which ones don't.

Well, I thought I'd throw my two cents in...
Fia 2c?, F/Mii, porous, below shoulder; Mod.CG since 08/08
Location: Poland
Occasional no/low-poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; KBB Juicy bar; Soap of Alep
Co-wash: Inecto Coconut; Enliven Raspberry; other local cond.
Rinse-out & leave-in: KBB Milk
[If] Styling: KCCC; avocado oil or KBB Butter to STCO
2nd day: pineapple; KBB Milk+water spray
Deep Cond.: Inecto Coconut; KBB LLHMask
Scalp massages: Jessicurl Scalp Oil; avocado+rosemary oils
Daily battle: my fussy scalp (just started Nizoral )