Old 12-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #1

Join Date: Aug 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to MimsTX
Default Proclaim Curl and Wave Conditioning Activator gel

Anyone use it?

I was at Sally's for something else, and it caught my eye (actually, the price did. $1.70 or so for 10.5 oz).

I went ahead and picked it up, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone's played with it before.
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
MimsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #2

curlygirlyme's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007

I posted about this not long ago. It's good if you need medium hold ( I also like their aloe gel it has about the same amount of hold) it gives me good clumps and I like to mix it with other gels. For the price... it's worth it.
curlygirlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #3

CurlyHairedFarmer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Send a message via AIM to CurlyHairedFarmer

I have only used the heat protectant spray from that line. I hated it, it didn't protect my hair at all.

Anyways, now I am going to have to go look for this.
3a with some 2c thrown in
pw: cow

Currently Loving:
Shampoo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Smoothing, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Beauticurls Leave-in

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers -CJ Curl Queen, CJ CCCC Lite, CJ CIAB, CJ Pattern Pusha, Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam, Mop-C Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, KCCC
CurlyHairedFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:10 AM   #4

MimsTX's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to MimsTX

Well, I used it for the first time this morning...

Ended up using it more as a curl enhancer than an actual gel, as I could tell when I was putting it on wet hair that it wasn't going to have near enough hold for my hair (I swear, on a typical day I end up having 3 different kinds of gel in my hair...)

I really like what it did for my curls. The spirals are definitely well defined and a little tigher than normal. It's still drying, but at the moment I DO seem to have more frizz than normal (though it's still not horrible). Might be that goes away once I SOTC, but we'll see. Could just be the ridiculous fog in the area that's giving me the frizz as well, who knows... lol

ETA: ok, I've SOTC... and there's definitely a little more frizz than usual, but my hair's feeling a little dry today so I'm not so sure i can blame it on the gel. Probably it's just our crazy weather and I need to up my moisture a bit.

All in all, I REALLY like how this performed as a curl enhancer. It's definitely not enough on it's own, but it works REALLY well with other products. This morning it was:

KCNT
2 nickle sized amounts of the Proclaim gel, scrunched in
Removed excess water with Curls like us towel
Scrunched in combo of LA Looks Curl and KCCC (50/50). About 4 quarter sized amounts
Scrunched with t-shirt to remove water, then diffused.

I have lots of soft, very touchable ringlets. It even managed to get my under-layers to curl a bit more than usual, which is more than I can say for anything else I've tried.
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG

Last edited by MimsTX; 12-19-2008 at 09:02 AM.
MimsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #5

Join Date: May 2013
Default The stuff is great

I had to get an account just to comment on this product. No I don't work for the company. Sally's had the 32 oz. containers on sales for buy 2 get 1 free and i got 3 for six dollars and some change. Anyway, it's not regular hair gel so you're not going to get any hold. It's not supposed to hold your hair. It gives you a light hold so that the wind, etc. doesn't easily unravel your style. It's curl activator in gel form, not styling gel. So it shouldn't get bad reviews on something it's not supposed to do in the first place. If you compare styling gel to proclaim, you'll see styling gel has tons more bubbles in it and proclaim has very few which it's supposed to have to give it enough hold so your hair can last without mussing up so easily. It's the same stuff that sta sof fro is and the other curl activators, it's just not a lotion or a spray so it's not as greasy. I love curl activator but hate how greasy it was for me so i got the gel form and it's been great. very moisturizing with a good enough hold without making it stiff and hard. I have 4z hair so it's the only thing that has worked for me. My mom has a looser curl pattern and she hated it for her hair for all the reasons you are all naming. It defines curls because that's it's job. It's not styling gel so it's not going to offer hold. It's curl activator for those who hate the greasiness of curl activator in spray form and in cream/lotion form. hope this helps.
kinkybush4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #6

Rytoka's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013

Is it cg?? What are the ingredients?? I am intrigued, love anything that will enhance my pattern!
Katie
2C/3a, Medium Texture, Normal porosity, High Density, Normal Elasticity (so says the LCLF Hair analysis)
Co Wash: As I am
RO: Yes To Carrots / Ion
LI: Biotera / Samy Big Curls Defining Cream
Gel: FSG, Volumax (Original and Mega)
Color: Henna
Tools: Diffusing
Rytoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #7

Join Date: Dec 2011

Here are the ingredients:

Water, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Carbomer, Triethanolamine ,Polysorbate 20, Methyparaben, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein ,Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Fragrance, Methylisothiazolinone, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional

Not paraben free, but it does appear to be cone-free.

HTH!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #8

BlackAngelPlayah's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011

The ingredients are basically the same as Long Aid. The OP is right, it's not a styling gel. It's more of a moisturizer. That's how I use it. I put EcoStyler on top.
FroZen
BlackAngelPlayah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #9

Rytoka's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013

Bought some last night. Going to try it on my Friday morning wash n go. Fingers crossed, my only issue so far...,a huge tub was all that was available. But it was so cheap I couldn't say no
Katie
Co Wash: As I am
RO: Yes To Carrots / Ion
LI: Biotera / Samy Big Curls Defining Cream
Gel: FSG, Volumax (Original and Mega)
Color: Henna