-   -   Fairy Tales Curly Q Natural Curl Maker Gel (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/65087-fairy-tales-curly-q-natural-curl-maker-gel.html)

xcptnl 12-29-2008 03:00 PM

Fairy Tales Curly Q Natural Curl Maker Gel

I was in a local mall yesterday and they have a new hair product store. Funny part - I saw it from the hallway and I tell SO - that store is HUGE. I get all excited but he wants a beer and a snack so we have to go into the 99 Rest. first!! We finally get in there and he laughs and says I was fooled by the mirrors - it was not as large as it seemed - they had mirrors on the walls! Oh well. They had a very good selection of products - they carried Deva for one thing. I cannot recall the name of the store - but long story short they also carried Fairy Tales hair products. It is marketed for kids but I picked up the Natural Curl Maker gel which says it is for 'kids of all ages'. I really like it. I used it this morning over KBB milk with very good results. It has a decent hold - I probably used a nickel sized amount for my whole head...I could have used a bit more on the back of my head - that is always the spot I miss because I apply most of my product upside down. I diffused after scrunching with my curlease towel and even now, late afternoon, I have defined, frizz free curls. There was some crunch but to be honest I scrunched out before I was totally dry because I was headed out. It was reasonable - $9.50 I think for 8 oz. I was a bit concerned about the oils in this product but I did not notice any issues with them - no weighed down curls or stringy curls. Also, this smells like curl junkie hibiscus & banana deep fix moisturizing conditioner - not sure why but it does.

I know curlmart carries these products - here are the ingredients from curlmart:

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Steareth-10 Allyl Ether/Acrylates Copolymer, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Potassium Sorbate, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tetrasodium EDTA, Polysorbate 20, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Hydroxide, Diaxolidinyl Urea

curlygirlyme 12-29-2008 08:03 PM

I've been waiting to try this gel for myself and my daughter but I've never read anything about it. Thanks for posting.

xcptnl 01-02-2009 05:36 AM

I used this yesterday with no leave in with pretty good results too. It has a decent hold which surprised me so there is a bit of a crunch to crunch out which I need. But once my hair is dry and crunched out I have nice soft curls. For the price - it was a decent find.

Snarls 01-02-2009 07:08 AM

I think I posted a review of this gel back in the day, but especially in the hair forums, anything older than a few months gets lost (or purged regularly).

I used to use this gel a lot in the winter. I really like it. The only negative for me has been that the gel is pretty thick and that makes it harder to apply (and even get out of the bottle).

xcptnl 01-03-2009 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Castella (Post 834838)

I agree that it's thick but so far I have been OK with distribution but that could be because my hair is soooo wet when I put it in. For me it's similar in thickness to JASON all natural styling gel and maybe even BRHG.

xcptnl 01-06-2009 01:32 PM

Ok...I have been using this gel for about a week and I have to say I really like it. Also, if anyone is looking for clumping - this gel is it.

curlygirlyme 01-06-2009 02:07 PM

Clumping you say.... :hiding:
I love that word.

xcptnl 02-04-2009 12:56 PM

I have used a couple of other gels the past week or so with decent results but used this gel again today. I really really like this gel. I have almost used 1/2 bottle which for me is amazing because I rotate so much so you know I keep going back to this one. I realized it talks about it's clumping ability in the description - I had not noticed that before. As noted above - it is thick but I emulsify it in my hands and then rake/scrunch in and I have had no issues getting it distributed.

Just thought I would update.

cfry 02-04-2009 05:10 PM

Thanks for the update!

I was going to ask you if you were still liking this, because I'll be close to a salon that sells it tomorrow. I'm definitely buying it now! Thanks for posting your update.

InissantAngel 02-05-2009 08:31 AM

I use it on my daughter and it works well. I do find it has a strong herb scent to it.

At night after bath she gets a leave in (also from Fairy Tales) and a drop a kccc, and for the inevitable bed head both in the morning and after a mid day nap I use a little bit of the Little Sprouts Curl Calmer and the Fairy Tales gel. I kind of just rake that in her hair and the knots just dissapear ( not always wetting it down, I dont' need to with the curl calmer) and then scrunch in some of the fairy tales gel. Prefect hair. It does help with clumping even on *gasp* her dry hair. It also has the lightest hold I've ever seen, darn near no hold at all. Perfect for my 2 1/2 year old.

She asks every morning and every day after nap for Mommy to make her curlies beautiful.

xcptnl 02-05-2009 03:07 PM

Funny - I think it has decent hold. I would consider it medium on my hair-I would compare it to Mop Top Frizz free gel or maybe even Deva Angell. To me it smells like cherry or something similar.

InissantAngel 02-05-2009 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by xcptnl (Post 868197)

LOL, I think the difference in hold we find may just be location. I'm down here is humid FL. When I took the baby to visit my parents in Ma, the gel did have a tiny bit more hold to it instead of the barely there hold we find in most products down here.

Cherry? Really? Hrmm maybe my allergies are giving me more of an issue than I thought.:disgust: All I get is a strong rosemary type smell from it.

cfry 02-05-2009 07:24 PM

Went to the salon today and found that they don't carry this particular product- ugh! The owner did say she would order it for me, but it would be 3-4 weeks. So, because I hate to pay shipping costs, I'm waiting. The herbal scent you noticed is probably rosemary. Apparently their whole line is designed to repel head lice.

xcptnl 02-06-2009 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by cfry (Post 868459)

This is separate from that part of the line. I put the ingredients in my first post and I think its the wild cherry I smell. This one does not have any rosemary in it.

curlygirlyme 02-08-2009 10:24 AM

cfry-

I was wondering... in your siggy it says you use alba strong hold gel. What do you think of it?

Suburbanbushbabe 02-08-2009 11:27 AM

I have my eye on this. Intrigued by the shea butter. It's only $9.00 in Curlmart. A local drugstore has it but only the lice line.

cfry 02-09-2009 08:20 AM

curlygirlyme, had a busy weekend, but would like to answer your question. I really like the Alba strong hold gel, but of course, feel there may be something better out there. It's a very, very thick gel, and the hold is nice, but not too crunchy. The main reason I like it is because almost everything I use causes breakouts in my hairline, but this one does not. I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow (1st time in almost a year) and will see if that makes a difference with how happy I am with this gel.

CurlyLinZee 02-15-2009 08:16 PM

Anyone else tried it yet?

Has anyone else tried this gel? xcptnl: you still getting good results?

I'm intrigued by this product so I searched for a thread. I'm in a very dry climate though--so not sure about the humectants.

And are acrylates water-soluble??

xcptnl 02-16-2009 11:30 AM

I am still liking this gel. I have used up 2/3 of the bottle which in the time frame is totally astonishing for me because I have so many prodcuts/gels to rotate through. I have had some gels for over a year!

I will definitely repurchase.

curlygirlyme 04-06-2009 02:18 PM

I just ordered a bottle of this stuff. I can't wait to try it.