Giovanni

I picked up the DLI @ Target last week along with a sample of tee tree conditioner.I'll look for the 50/50 conditoner since it seems well liked. I'll post after I use them. The KBB is definitely next on my list. I think I'll get samples from Kathymack who offers the KBB and other products that are popular on this site.

I was hoping the Giovanni would work since its less expensive than the KCKTand KBB and there's no shipping. Available @ Target.

Not sure about the amodimethicone in the Smooth as Silk. Isn't this the water soluble one thats used in Deva products? Still would prefer not to use it but will keep an open mind.

Didn't mean to trash the Jane Carter Nourish and Shine. I used a tiny bit over the KCKT and KCCC to scrunch out as per mysteryflavored's video. I definitely had my best hair day so far. Too many other variables to determine what made it my best hair day. But the JCNS was just fine for scrunching. Also used Trader Joe's Nourish Conditioner for the first time; and I think its pretty good. Reasonably priced.$8.00.
cg Dec 08
fine to med texture w/ some coarse / high porosity 2c to 3a

I really love Giovanni products. I low poo every other day, and really like the Tea Tree shampoo. My husband loves it too.

I've been using Giovanni 50/50 conditioner a lot this winter and really like it. They reformulated the product recently, and now it's thicker than it used to be, and hard to get it out of the bottle. But I still really like it. I also use some of the EO conditioners, and find that the Giovanni 50/50 is more moisturizing than the EO French Lavender but not as heavy as the EO Rose&Chamomile, which I can only use occasionally because it's SO moisturizing.

I only use the Giovanni smooth as silk conditioner when I straighten my hair; it flattens out my curls.

Finally, I adore the Giovanni direct leave-in. I used it all summer, and have also been using it all winter. Currently, I'm using it under Komaza coconut pudding and BRHG gel. I've also used it under QCCC.

In terms of comparisons to KBB: the only KBB leave-in I've tried thus far is the super silky. I think GDLI is similar to the super silky, but a bit more moisturizing. It never weighs down my hair, though. I plan to try the KBB nectar and milk soon and will compare to GDLI.

The nice thing is that GDLI doesn't have glycerin in it, so if you're glycerin-sensitive in the winter (depending where you live), and can't use KBB nectar for that reason, and find KBB milk too heavy, GDLI might be perfect for you.

Good luck!
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
I wasn't even thinking about glycerin. Its winter in New England and the air is dry. I might be better off experimenting with the Giovanni products for a while, since they don't have glycerin. Also, I'm still working with the KC products I've gotten recently. After all the raves about KBB, I can't wait to try that line. But, I'll hold off a little or at least until I've played with the Giovanni for a while.

Speaking of EO, I saw some verys large sweet orange conditioners at Marshalls for about $8. I didn't get it. Maybe I should have.
cg Dec 08
fine to med texture w/ some coarse / high porosity 2c to 3a

Are all the Giovanni products cg? Especially curious about the smooth as silk. Does anyone know if there are cones in it?
Originally Posted by meadowlark2
I don't have a bottle on hand right now, but I know there is at least one cone in the Smooth As Silk Shampoo = the reason I won't repurchase. Cones directly applied to scalp = not for me.
Originally Posted by madhuri_dixit_fan
Here are the ingredients, hope this helps, I didn't see any "cones" but i could have overlooked something.
Aqua (Purified Water) With Rosemary Oil (Rosmarinus Officinalis) (Certified Organic), Nettle (Urtica Dioica) (Certified Organic) Oil, Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil (Certified Organic), Birch Leaf (Butela Alba) Oil, Chamomile (Anthemis Nobilus Flower) Oil (Certified Organic), Clary (Salvia Sclarea) (Certified Organic), Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia) (Certified Organic), Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago Farfara) (Certified Organic), Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) Oil, (Certified Organic), Mallow (Malva Sylvestris) (Certified Organic), Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense) Oil (Certified Organic), Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja) (Certified Organic), Cetyl Alcohol (Plant Derived), Stearalkonium Chloride, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, Citric Acid (Corn), Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Grapefruit Seed (Citrus Derived).
Can anyone compare the Giovanni leave-ins to kbb and kckt?
Originally Posted by meadowlark2
I've now tried the KBB milk as well. I would say that KBB SS is the least moisturizing, GDLI is more moisturizing, and KBB milk is the most moisturizing. But I think they're all similar.
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair

Last edited by melaniesusan; 01-30-2009 at 06:25 PM. Reason: removed duplicate comments
I just tried their Magnetic Restruxturing Conditioner. It made my hair feel great, but absolutely torched my scalp. I'm still in the process of investigating the culprit in the ingredients, but it has stearalkonium chloride and mica so maybe it's one of those. I'm getting so sick of wasting my money on products!
so far I've tried the smooth as silk conditioner which I didn't like. and the 50:50 shampoo and conditioner which I love!
3A, started CG 9/8/06
trader joe's nourish spa s&c, giovanni la natural gel
Giovanni reformulated some things. The Giovanni Direct Leave-In and 50/50 Balanced were better a year ago with the old formulations if you used a good amount of it during application. The old DLI seemed to detangle better on contact and looked less filmy (ashen) on the hair if overused. I still use the new formulation and like it very much. The change isn't really that noticible, especially if you only use a little bit. Only when I go overboard on the application do I notice a difference.
RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC
I ordered a few bottles of the 50/50 condish online, at the time at least they were still selling the old formula (I'll post the site when I figure out what it was!).

I actually prefer the new formula! It's a bit more moisturizing for me, although the old formula is good too.
Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
HG products:
Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
I use the LA Naturals Gel. Love it.
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
I tried a sample of the Smooth As Silk condish from WF (free sample packet) and it seemed to do nothing at all...kinda disappointed in that and the Vitapro Fusion Leave-in I had bought. Maybe more of it would have done something? Admittedly it was a pretty small packet and I have long hair, to my waist so maybe that's why. I remember using the Tea Tree Triple Treat S&C as a teen years back and I loved it...
2c/3a/3b curls, waist length
Cleansers:Body Shop Honey 'Poo, V05 Co
Conditioners:GVPCB/AOHR/HSHPumpkin

DT/Treats:Aphogee Protein Treat/GVP K-Pak/EVOO
Leave-ins/Stylers:KCKT/KCCC/KCGP

I use GTTTT for low-pooing and the matching conditioner for co-washing, almost exclusively.

I also like GDLI but as someone else said, I haven't used it much since I started using KBB.

The only other thing I've tried was a sample of their LA looks gel. Didn't care for it - no hold whatsoever for me.
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - med./fine, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett