Old 01-04-2009, 04:54 AM   #1

Default Giovanni

Hi,
I was wondering which Giovanni products you have used and how did they work?
I use the smooth as silk one, works preety good. I just started using a few months ago.
tia
Old 01-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #2

meriellyn's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2005
Send a message via AIM to meriellyn Send a message via Yahoo to meriellyn

I like the 50/50 Conditioner best. Direct Leave-in is great too. And the 50/50 poo is good.
2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls
meriellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #3

rudeechick's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008

I've used and liked the 50/50 shampoo. I used and didnt like the 50/50 condish and Tea Tree shampoo. I was indifferent to the Direct Leave In.
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
rudeechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #4

CurlyOver40!'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007

I love, love, love both the 50/50 condish and Direct Leavin.. so much so, that I just purchased the liter sizes online...
I'm also a fan of their mousse.. I can't think of the exact name.. it comes in a clear bottle and it's a clear liquid that turns into a very light foam when you pump it from the bottle.
I use that when I want to use something besides my Joico Whip Mousse.

3a/3b

CurlyOver40! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #5

meadowlark2's Avatar

Default Giovanni or KBB

I'm considering Giovanni Direct Leave in or KBB hair milk or nectar. Right now I'm using KCKT with KCCC. I feel like my hair needs more moisture. I tried using Jane Carter Nourish and Shine over the kckt with the kccc on top. I used a very small amount and ended up with, dull, greasy, matted looking hair. Can anyone compare the Giovanni leve-ins to kbb and kckt?
cg Dec 08
fine to med texture w/ some coarse / high porosity 2c to 3a

meadowlark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #6

Starmie's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005

I really like the smooth as silk conditioner and the 50/50's pretty good too. The tea-tree triple treat shampoo is really nice. Direct leave-in I can take or leave - I liked it at first but then it just didn't seem like it was enough moisture for me.

I also have some styling lotion but I haven't got a clue how to use it!. I bought it online and it's a lot more watery than I expected and am not quite sure what it's supposed to do.
3b in South Australia.

Golden Wheat Shampoo
Smooth As Silk Shampoo
Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor

I like:

Direct Leave In; use tiny bit (dime sized) for each section of hair, anything more than that leaves my hair crunchy or white film on it

Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo

50/50 Balanced Condtioner;co-washer, don't really like it as the rinse off that goes on length as I prefer AO conditioners for that

The Rest: they were okay, if I repurchase anything of the rest then it will likely be the Hair Reconstructor and mix it in with some other DC stuff.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #8

meadowlark2's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008

Are all the Giovanni products cg? Especially curious about the smooth as silk. Does anyone know if there are cones in it?
cg Dec 08
fine to med texture w/ some coarse / high porosity 2c to 3a

meadowlark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #9

Originally Posted by meadowlark2 View Post
I don't have a bottle on hand right now, but I know there is at least one cone in the Smooth As Silk Shampoo = the reason I won't repurchase. Cones directly applied to scalp = not for me.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #10

werenumber2's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2003

I'm a big fan of the Smooth As Silk conditioner and Direct Leave-In.

3b/c fine corkscrews and spirals. Naked hair above.

Wash: Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo
Condish: Shescentit Avocado/Honey Rinse
Moisture DT: Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, Crece Pelo
Protein DT: Shescentit Okra Hair Repair Reconstructor
Leave-Ins: Shescentit Coco Creme, Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean, Aubrey Organics Primrose Spray
Stylers: Aubrey Organics B-5, Shea Moisture Curly Souffle

Subject to change!
werenumber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #11

Finch00's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008

are giovanni products available in stores? or is it mostly online?
CG since Jan 2009. Hair: 3b, fine
LeaveIn/ Conditioners: Alaffia, AOHR
Gel - KCCC, FSG, LA Looks, HETT
Protein: IAGirl's Recipe and AOGPB. DT: Honey+Coconut Oil Aloe Vera Gel/ Mineral Oil/ Alcohols: Don't work well.
Finch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:31 AM   #12

Join Date: Aug 2004

I buy mine in target or riteaid.
didn't know about the cone in "smooth as silk", this one really works for me. Is it soluble?
I tried the 50/50 and it was ok.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #13

swirldrops's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007

I've seen Giovanni for sale in CVS and Whole Foods.
Type: Course & thick. According to everyone's input, 2c w/ 3a potential.
Color: Brown w/ highlights & annoying grays which I color.
Length: Past shoulders w/ layers.
Issues: Dryness, knots & more dryness!
Poo: Deva Lo-Poo 1 x week, Clarify 1-2 x month
CO Wash: Suave Tropical Coconut (but looking for something else b/c I suspect protein issues)
Condish: GVPCB, LVPNG
Leave-Ins: Was loving KBB Milk & Nectar, but overused them. Usually just leave-in some of what I CO with.
Styling: Biolage Gelee
swirldrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #14

Originally Posted by yogawaves View Post
I buy mine in target or riteaid.
I tried the 50/50 and it was ok.
The cone in the Smooth As Silk Shampoo is Amodimethicone...it's toward the bottom of the ingredient list.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #15

PassionFruit's Avatar

Default Giovanni Sale

All Giovanni Products on sale @ Whole Foods this week
PassionFruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:56 AM   #16

Join Date: Aug 2004

which others besides smooth, have cones? Also, does anyone know if that cone is water soluble? Just wondering because, the smooth as silk really suits my hair (2a).
Old 01-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #17

Gemini13's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2006

I've used the Smooth as Silk and 50/50 conditioners (both are CG). The 50/50 is rapidly becoming an HG for me. SAS worked well, but I was getting a little overconditioned with it. Now I only use it when my hair feels a little dry.
Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
HG products:
Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
Gemini13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #18

soulsalsa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008

I haven't tried any of the Giovanni conditioners or leave-ins since I like the KBB milk & John Masters Detangler too much to experiment yet.

But I have used their gel and frizz gloss(has cones) when I used to straighten. But the gel has no cones, is awesome when used over a leave-in, and it never dries crunchy.
Hair Inspirations: My Lil Sis/MIKA/Vashtie Kola

DT: SS Deeply Decadent
Trying:
Bella Curl
Color: Jamila Henna

"...there is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness..."-Ghandi

soulsalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #19

CurlyChick77's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009

I JUST purchased Direct Leave in to use for the first time as a CG. The last time I used it I was relaxed. Curious as to how my hair will respond.

I also got samples of Smooth as Silk and Tea Tree Conditioner. I will post the one I like best.
CurlyChick77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:49 AM   #20

aislin's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by meadowlark2 View Post
At first I felt like the Gio DLI was good, and I LOVE KCKT don't get me wrong- but for me, there's no comparison to the KBB- I'd say if you want moisture and your hair can tolerate a little bit of oil (mine can barely tolerate oil and I can do KBB just fine) go for the KBB. WAY more moisturizing IMO.

As for the other products, I've tried Smooth As Silk condish and poo and they were not really that good, nothing special. I was surprised because of all the great reviews I read here saying how much everyone like them, and I thought they kinda sucked :-/. The 50/50 conditioner is pretty awesome though- and the Tea Tree poo is good- it really invigorates my scalp, which feels awesome. Unfortunately I don't do liquid shampoing anymore, so it just kind of sits on the shelf. I've also tried the straight gel and the mousse, both of which were pretty bland IMO. The mousse really dried me out and while I got okay results, I could really only use it once a week. The gel was nothing special.
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

Last edited by aislin; 01-11-2009 at 05:55 AM.
aislin is offline   Reply With Quote