Help With Donna Marie Products!

I am messing around with the DM Coco curly butter, the Lock and Twist and the Cocoa Hemp butter. So far, I am not having much luck. I swear it seems that my hair soaks it all up as soon as I apply it. And, my hair does not feel very moisturized like everyone else is saying. I either co-wash or use my shampoo bar, followed with KBB milk as rinse out, then ACV rinse, and KBB nectar as leave in. Then, I tried the LT and a little gel on top. That gave me some definition, but my hair felt kind of hard. Next I followed the same routine, but used the coco curly butter and topped it off with a little gel. I need the gel for some hold. This didn't even give me good curl definition. I have only used the Cocoa Hemp butter to scrunch out the crunch and added a little to my ends at night, before bed.

The only thing I was thinking is that I ran out of my apple cider vinegar and I was just using regular white vingegar as my rinse. Do you think this could be causing the dry, hard hair? Does it seem to matter which kind of vinegar one uses?

I ordered the Aloe and Honey Curly Jelly. I can't wait to try that. I sure hope I can figure this out. I hate to think I wasted all this money for nothing. Any suggestions as to technique or the order that I might try layering these products would be greatly appreciated. I have 3a/3b hair that is pretty thick so maybe I need to apply more product? I feel that I put a decent amount in. It just felt like I had nothing in my hair right after I put it in.

Hair hates: Jessicurl RR and CC (FRIZZ!)

Hair loves: Anything Curl Junkie, KathyMack soap bars, KBB milk, nectar and hair mask, Giovanni Leave-In conditioner, CLU cloths, my heavenly silk pillowcase and my bone comb with wide and fine tooth ends.

Happiness comes and goes, but joy resides in the soul, always. It is the soul's natural state and our job, as human beings, is to reside there as well.
I haven't used any of the DM products, but I've been seeing a lot of people use it with KCCC (usually under). Maybe you'll like that.
3b/c, CG 9/18/08
Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
Hmmm....have you deep conditioned your hair lately? Or, perhaps the Donna Marie products are reacting to the KBB nectar. Try leaving out the KBB nectar and see what happens. Don't worry through someone's advice, you find out what's happening.

Originally Posted by curlyjean
I find that I have to do the ACV rinse after I shampoo bar, let it sit for a minute or so, and then either rinse it then put in conditioner, or put conditioner on without rinsing out the acv just yet. I've tried ACVing after conditioning but for me it's just not the same and I end up with hard, crunchier hair. And if I don't add honey to the ACV rinse, it seems to just not detangle as well with the conditioner.
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

Thanks, Ladies! I am going to continue to mess around with this and I'm going to try the ACV rinse right after my shampoo bar. I did deep condition a few days ago, so I don't think it's a moisture problem with my hair. I have been pretty good about keeping up on my DTs. Ah, such is the life of a curly!

Hair hates: Jessicurl RR and CC (FRIZZ!)

Ok I am no expert, I just got samples and I really like her products. This is what I do:
1)I shampoo with shampoo bar
*I used the LT after the first time and
that was to much product for my hair
*So then I tried the above routine and used LT for
second day hair and it worked really
good

Hope this helps, I try to use as few products as possible at a time to see if that product is what my hair likes or if the products is being covered up by a product I like.
3&4 Curls and Corkscrews
Poo:Marshmallow Shampoo Bar
Conditioner:Yes To Tomatoes & She Scent It Avocado Conditioner
Leave-in:QB Burdock Cream
Styling:QB Amla & Heavy Cream
Hair Mask:Bentonite Clay
*NO MORE HEAT STYLING MY HAIR, JUST LOVING MY HAIR*
My Blog: http://rizosbonitos.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Skibies; 02-02-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Okay, I just had a wonderful hair day and....are you ready for this? It was 4th day hair! Do you even believe it?!!

I have been just wetting my hair with water and scrunching in some KCCC and a little BRHG on top to tame frizzies and give a little hold. The weather here is in the single digits and low, low dewpoints. Anyhoo, today I decided to try a different approach. I wet my hair with water, scrunched in some DM Lock and Twist and topped it with a little BRHG. After I scrunched out the crunch, my hair was bouncy, full and frizz free! I was completely shocked. I can't believe I got 4 days of hair out of this. I like my hair better today than on day 1.

Okay, just thought I'd share that. If I only use DM products to get multiple days of good hair, it is well worth the money! It appears I have more experimenting to do. Yay!

Hair hates: Jessicurl RR and CC (FRIZZ!)

It sounds like you are dry. That is exactly what happened to me with the lock and twist. It stopped giving me shiny bouncy curls and instead my hair was trying to soak up every extra bit of moisture it could.
With it being cold my hair has been dryer than normal. What worked 3 months ago is no longer working, my hair is literally drinking the moisture.

The cocoa curl butter didn't work for me, I must be protein sensitive b/c I got hard hair with little curl and some frizz, felt like straw, ick!

Glad you got 4th day hair! It's probably b/c your hair could breathe w/o washing and the ACV rinses.
How often do you ACV? The poo bars and ACV can be drying FYI. I also read on here that the poo bars don't work if you have hard water, somehow the hard water interferes....you'll have to read it in curl chemist article I think from either December or January.

The lock and twist is my favorite, esp. under KCCC! Oh, and my new favorite is the komaza puddin thanks to del2c for feeding the hungry pj monster~
The komaza puddin is similar to the cocoa curl butter but w/o the protein IMO.
Hair Type-3b Location: Florida
John 3:16
Poo: Jessicurl HCC, As I Am
Conditioners: Aubrey Organics, KCKT, CJ HBDT, Darcy's Botanicals
Leave In/Styling: KCCC, Darcy's Botanicals, SS
Favorites (HG): KCCC; spiral solutions jelly; darcy's botanicals, FSG
No-No's: castor oil, beeswax, glycerine, silicones
LOVE: aloe vera, agave nectar, shea butter, flax seed gel; good DT's once a week
password: curly
Thanks for your suggestions, Discobug. I did read the posts about hard water and the shampoo bars. I have been using the bars for over a month now. I don't do an ACV rinse every time, though. I usually wash every 3 days. I think you are right, my hair must be very dry. I'm going to get more intense with my DTs and just up my moisturizing anyway I can.

So, you layer the LT under the KCCC? I haven't tried that one yet. I bet that is very moisturizing. There's a lot of good stuff in both products. That will be my next experiment!

1)I shampoo with shampoo bar
second day hair and it worked really
good

Originally Posted by Skibies
----------------
I just order the coco butter and the hemp butter full size.The hemp gives me some clumping and I want to put the coco butter on top.Does the coco butter give you more curl definition then the L&T and hemp butter? and did you try combining coco butter with other DM butter and get better results?
Natural since Jan 2,07
I did a BC
Hair type:3C\3B
Multi-racial hair
Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

All I have is the HJ, but I love it for boosting curls tightness and retaining the definition.
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
I've only tried the Lock & Twist, but I loved the results! I tried not to use too much leave-in conditioner before hand, just keeping the wash routine simple with ACV, but the pudding absorbed into my hair almost instantly. At first I was worried about the end results, but it gave me the best twistout in a looooong time. A little goes a long way with this product because you can defintely over moisturize.
Back To Curly
PJ certified over eight years ago
KBB Hair Ambrosia
EO's Moisture Rich Conditioner
KBB Hair Cream (Daily for moisture/sealing)
Curl Rehab (for those special TLC days)
*new love* Anita Grant's Rhassoul Clay Condish
I've been experimenting with DM products this week, and here are some of my thoughts:

(1) The DM slip detangler is nice, but I think I like my other leave-ins (GDLI and KBB milk) a little better. In terms of texture, it is most similar to KBB SS. It's more expensive than GDLI, and not as moisturizing as KBB milk, so I don't think it's worth the cost ($10 DM; $12 KBB; $7 GDLI). Also, I wish it had a bit more scent.

(2) The DM L&T is great! I've tried it both as a curl enhancer and as a butter to add definition to dry hair.

For curl enhancement, I applied it over DM slip detangler and under BRHG. My current favorite curl enhancers are Komaza coconut pudding and Ohm sweet hair pudding. I got similar results with the L&T; the only difference is that with the L&T, my hair is slightly less defined (not quite frizz but some definite flyaways)...but also softer, so it's somewhat of a trade-off. I will definitely use L&T on the days I want more "touchable" hair.

I did notice that L&T some glycerin in it; that might be responsible for my flyaways. I went glycerin-free this winter and have had no frizz whatsoever. So maybe when summer humidity returns, L&T will be my HG summer curl enhancer...

(3) I found the DM CHB way too heavy for my hair. I applied it to dry hair to calm flyaways. It made my hair a little greasy and weighed-down looking. Also, the smell was nice (like cake icing) but WAY too strong for my taste. Long after I applied it to dry hair, I continued to smell it and felt almost nauseous as a result. If only manufacturer would remove of the CHB scent and add it to the DM detangler...then each product would smell just right.

Interestingly, the next time I needed to calm flyaways I applied the L&T to dry hair and it worked great! So I think that L&T is really a multi-purpose product and a very good investment IMO.
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen